Reload this Page >

Loire Restaurants

Search

Loire Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 08:54 AM
Sarah Johnson

Loire Restaurants

My friends and I are going to the Loire Valley for two weeks and are having a difficult time getting information on restaurants. Can anyone recommend any or point me towards a reliable guide? We will be visiting the usual central Loire cities like Orleans, Blois and Tours.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 09:10 AM
JOdy

Try gault Millau France, or Eyewitness travel Guide for Loire Valley. Some of the towns are so small that you only have a choice of 1! A lot of the chateeau -hotels open their dining rooms to non-residents.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 11:03 AM
StCirq

Here's a gem near Chenonceaux, in the town of Bléré: <BR> <BR>Le Cheval Blanc <BR>Place de l'Eglise <BR>tel: (from USA) 011-33-2-47-30-30-14 <BR>Fax: 011-33-2-47-23-52-80 <BR> <BR>Michel Blériot has one Michelin star and I think he deserves two more. Even the 98F menu is divine (menus range from 98 to 280).Reservations are essential on weekends. <BR>If you're going to be in or near Saumur, I have more suggestions.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 09:51 AM
carol

Great suggestion. Thought I'd add that we were sorry we ate at Le Blazon, mentioned by others as wonderful on this forum. It's in Amboise. A bit too unusual for us (cauliflower soup/rabbit/etc.)and not very good compared to other places.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 05:18 PM

top <BR>

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 05:39 PM
Rex

I can't recommend any place more highly than Chateau d'Artigny at Montbazon. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 06:38 PM
JOdy

We love Manoir de hauts des Loire. They do open their dining room to non-residents. It is also a wonderful place to stay. Not cheap but worth every penny <BR>In Onzain betweeen Blois and Amboise and easy reach of all the chateux you would want to visit if you have a car

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 08:20 PM
steve

Also in Onzain is a nice restaurant right at the bridge over the Loire. However, like most French restaurants, it takes FOREVERRRRRRR to eat. Across the river in Chaumont is (used to be anyway) the Chez Collette, a nice, inexpensive restaurant where you can get your meal and be out in an hour. They are very nice, even prepared us a quick meal one Friday night when the restaurant was closed. Yes - crazy as it seems, Friday was its off night!

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 08:22 PM
steve

The restaurant at the Hotel Du Grande Monarque in Azay-le-Rideau is also nice

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 11:49 PM
britabroad

Can also recommend Grand Monarque Restaurant. Stayed at the hotel 20 years ago on our honeymoon and every time we return, place gets better! We stayed over one night last July and had a superb evening meal, followed by a stroll thru the Chateau grounds for the Son et Lumiere. Magical!