Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Loire - A castle a day? What's the rule!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are just starting the planning for our France trip next year. Initially I thought perhaps three days in the Loire Valley should do us but on reading the various threads it seems more time (which we have) should be given to the area. So now I'm thinking perhaps five or six days.

My travel buddy and I love going through castles, historical homes etc and like to devote a bit of time to each but should we plan to do just one castle a day in the Loire and something else in the afternoon? Will we be able to occupy ourselves for six days (we will be hiring a car probably from Tours) in this fashion.

What else is there to do/see in this region? Am I right in thinking there are lots of markets in the area? I understand there are wineries etc but I'm not a drinker (and I hate cheese)so that has little appeal - I know - I'm a barbarian - what can I say - the result of too much tequila and fandango at a much younger age (mmmm it was one helluva hangover).

Anyway, I digress - any thoughts on this would be appreciated thanks.
Old May 20th, 2006, 05:35 PM

Since you and your travel companion love castles, etc. I think 5 or6 days would be better than 3. I stayed in the Loire for about 10 days and never got bored. There are so many chateaux - sometimes 2 a day would be fine. Tours has a beautiful cathedral and a couple of interesting museums, for a break from the chateaux. Get the Michelin Green Guide and decide what you want to see. Since I had 10 days I stayed in several towns to avoid too much backtrack driving - Amboise, Chinon and Saumur. That worked out perfectly - I especially loved Amboise and Chinon. I didn't visit one wine cellar. Have a wonderful trip.
Old May 20th, 2006, 06:29 PM

If you really, really like castles and palaces, this is the place for you. We were there on an HF walking trip (do a Google search on HF if this sort of thing is of intererst), and we saw more chateaux than I cared for. But then I have a limited capacity for historic homes. But there are some interesting places. I'd make a point of seeing Chenoceaux(sp.), and as another poster mentioned the cathedral in Tours is outstanding the art museum (I think in the former bishop's palace) is worthwhile. And at Amboise you can visit Lenardo da Vince last home.
Old May 20th, 2006, 06:40 PM

Definitely allow 6 days. You can do 2 chateaux per day - usually - unless you want to examine the molding foot by foot - since most of them are bascially empty - and not all rooms are open. However, some have other attractions (the gardens at Vilandry), some of the towns are very cute and have other things to see/do (Amboise, etc) and there are numerous other historical sites, as well as places where you can just relax, bike, boat, have nice meals etc - never mind the son et lumieres in the evening.

As long as you're renting a car suggest you stay in one or two private chateaux or manor houses (it may make sense to do 3 days east and 3 days west).

We stayed in a privately owned, moated 15th century chateau - which was amazing - and met a lot of other intersting travelers (Canadian, British, Argentinian as well as other americans) over breakfast on the terrace or dinner (they offered dinners en famille 2 nights per week - using products almost exclusively from their estate). There was a separate lounge with tourist info just for the guests, plus use of the large drawing room and billiards room.
And very reasonable to boot.
Old May 20th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies to date - will definitely plan for 6 days. NYTraveler I'm liking your idea of three days east and then west.

Do you, by any chance, remember the name of the chateau you stayed in?

I would be very interested to see the Da Vinci museum and his last home.

Coming from Australia where nothing is older than 200 years or so I just love anything that is particularly historical. You can imagine how 'birko' I went in Italy with a 3000 year old history to explore. I think France will bring out a similar reaction.
Anyway, many thanks for the assistance so far.
Old May 21st, 2006, 01:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with your other posters - give yourselves as long as possible in the Loire. we love it [easy for us as we live in the UK]. As well as the suggestions you've had so far, if you are interested in gardens, there is a garden festival at Chaumont sur Loire [nice chateau, insignificant village] for details see www. chaumont-jardin.com. We also liked Fontevraud abbey [where Henry 11, eleanor and Richard 1 are buried] and the hotel next door looked very nice.
we have stayed in hotels in Saumur and amboise [preferred Saumur] though there are loads of Posh B & Bs in privately owned chateau, or you can rent a gite. If you wanted to be able to go to Paris while you are there, you can get a fast train from Blois, which would also make a good base if you want to be in a town.The only danger will be not having enough time, not having too much!
Old May 21st, 2006, 03:05 AM

You could certainly do 2 chateaux each day, if you plan. A good suggestion was the 3 dys east and 3 days west.

If you are interested in markets, this site lists all the market days in the region..choose you r area and there is a listing of each town.

http://www.livingfrance.com/lvfra/co...oFrance/?id=48
Old May 21st, 2006, 05:06 AM
ira

Hi S,

>I understand there are wineries etc but I'm not a drinker (and I hate cheese)....<

Dear colleague,

You will be in France, not some Texas border town.

One doesn't "drink" wine, one sips and savors.

As for the cheese, at least try a nibble.

Old May 21st, 2006, 06:38 AM

Hi Stormbird,

I spent 4 days several years ago in the Loire and really loved it. I'm one of those who takes time to look at nearly everything and I visited 2 chateaux each day easily.

I stayed at Chateau du Chissay right near Chenonceaux and it was fabulous. Ancient, very historical, and my tub had a mosaic of Diane du Pottiers bare-breated in her bath, blonde hiar piled high. Can't believe I forgot to take a picture! Chateau du Chissay also has an excellent restaurant for dinner, not included.

Old May 21st, 2006, 06:53 AM

You are getting excellent advice here, especially about:
1) dividing your time between east and west areas of Loire I suggest 3 days in each.
2)about staying in a chateau--besides Chissay, consider Chateau de Rochecotte, Domaine des Hauts de Loire, Manoir des Minimes--latter more a lovely home than a chateau but very nice and great value.
3) doing two chateaux a day. I'd say it can be extended to 3 sometimes if the third is a small, less visited one

To these I would add--breaking up your time with Chateaux (and the Loire) with a visit to Ile de Re on the Atlantic in between the eastern and western parts of the Loire. Ile de Re is a nice island sort of like Nantucket in the US that will provide a pleasant change from chateaux with a laid back, nautical atmosphere. Maybe spend two days there before returning to the Loire and more chateaux.
Old May 21st, 2006, 11:10 AM

It was the Chateau des Reaux - not far from Chinon. If you stay there be sure to get a room in the Chateau itself - they also have some in a building over, I believe, converted stables - which would lack most of the romance.
Old May 21st, 2006, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the fantastic response. You've certainly made the job easy for me re planning our days in the Loire. With Paris and Prague on the agenda as well I'm sure I shall have further posts a little bit down the track.
Many Thanks.
Old May 21st, 2006, 03:32 PM

I can heartily recommend the Chateau de Rochecotte. Marvelous hotel, and the dinner menu in the lovely dining room changes daily. The Domaine des Hauts de Loire is another fine hotel, but quite surprisingly our first night dinner was well below par. So on our second and last night we drove over to Le Cheval Blanc and had one of the best meals of the trip.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:59 AM
Original Poster

Oh IRA....Here in the land Downunder not only do winelovers 'sip, savour' and DRINK wine - mate, they have it on their Weeties for breakfast.

With some of the best wine in the world made right here, my observations of wine drinkers here (Mr Stormbird considers himself a bit of a connoisseur so to speak) is that wine IS for drinking, definitely for savouring but I never see too many sipping.

Ira thanks for all your valuable contributions and information - we love you.