Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Logical stops in Skye based on our accommodations and driving times..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello again!

Our trip is almost here and your help has been amazing, as always. We will be traveling to Skye from Mallaig ferry on a 4:30pm reservation on Wednesday, May 23rd. We will be staying our first and 2nd night at Marmalade, located in Portree. We will be spending our 3rd night in Elgol on the shores of Loch Scavaig in Coruisk House to take sunset pictures of the Black Cuillins that evening. We will be leaving the next morning via the Skye bridge. I know some may be wondering why we aren't reversing this itinerary...I really wanted to be close to Elgol beach for the sunset photos and The Coruisk House (wonderful customer service by the way) only had the 25th open for stay so I am willing to go out of my way to make it work.

My question is: Could you suggest what places we have time to visit based on where we are staying and factoring in the driving times? We are very active, mid 30s and I LOVE photography. We are fine to do short hikes (don't want real long ones...maybe no more than an hour each way) and are not big into touristy stops (don't need to do any shopping or tours) and could care less about what we are eating. I really just want to do our best to see the most beautiful sites (I know they are ALL beautiful and stop at as many "most popular" photo stops as we can within reason. I would also love any recommendations for forest areas as I love the types of shots with trees, moss and green everywhere Thanks as always for any advice...you are helping me feel much more confident in planning this trip.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 05:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
One day do the Trotternish peninsula - and be <u>sure</u> to take the side jaunt up the Quiraing -- lots of switchbacks but the most AMAZING views from the top. Then retrace the drive back down to where you left the A855 and continue around the top of the peninsula.

http://tinyurl.com/7cpjbrl

After that you have time to drive via Skeabost and on to Dunvegan. Maybe out to Neist point

http://www.flickr.com/photos/-lucie-/3712142453/

That will be one amazing day full of photo ops around every bend in the road.

The next day maybe drive out to the end of Glenbrittle BIG beach http://tinyurl.com/7bosvyk

Sure hope the weather cooperates for your Black Cuillins sunset photos
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

so many thanks, Janisj...I knew I could count on your help
would you mind answering my last post question (The Trossachs while staying in Callander should we include Glencoe?)..I just want to make sure I have the directions correct to getting to the ferry and seeing all the sights of Glencoe while getting there...thanks so much.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

one more thing...Janisj...there is something I'd like to email you but can't find anyway of getting your email address..if you wouldn't mind, mine is [email protected]. Sorry to post this on my link but I'm not sure of another way. Thanks!
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 07:12 PM

Just to add to janisj's suggestions... The ferry from Mallaig takes about 30 minutes,so you'll arrive at Armadale about 5:00 pm. As you cross the Sleat peninsula to Portee take the Tarskavaig/ Tokavaig/Ord loop. This will add about an hour to your time to Portree, making the total time about 2 hours. This is IMO one of the most scenic side trips on Skye. You'll have great views across to the Cuillins. When you get near Tokavaig, you'll have access to the ruins of Dunsgaith Castle, once home to The MacDonalds and another great photo opt.

The trip from Portree around the Trotternish peninsula takes a couple of hours without stops. With a reasonably early start you'll have ample opportunity to do several side trips as well as stopping at some of Skye's major sites. Glen Brittle off the A863 would be a good choice with great views of the Black Cuillins,sandy beaches and a variety of walks. Continue along the A863 to Dunvegan and it's castle. Nearby is Neist Point offering both great views and a very nice walk. As you make your way along the Trotternish Peninsula a stop at the Fairy Glen provides both a excellent opportunity for a walk and for photos. Once past Uig, Kilmuir and the Skye Museum of Island Life is a very worthy stop. You'll also find Flora MacDonald's Monument ( a large Celtic cross) here. Once past Kilmuir and the Skye museum, you'll come upon Duntulm Castle. These 15th century ruins, perched on a steep cliff, are a real photo opt. Along the east side of the peninsula, stop at the Flodigarry Hotel for a bit of refreshment. If nothing else, the views are wonderful. Then there's the Quiring (mentioned by Janisj ) Kilt Rock, Lealt Falls and The Old Man of Storr..

While in Portree walk down to the Cullin Hills Hotel. Looking across the bay you'll see the brightly painted houses along the harbour.. There is also a pleasant walk from the hotel.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

thank you so much for taking the time to write all this, historytraveler..this will be very helpful
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 07:49 PM

Marmalade is a great place. A fantastic drive with a hike is the A855 to STAFFIN/FLODIGARRY and UIG, at UIG take the unclassified road signposted Staffin via Quiraing.

At the Quiraing Car Park there is an incredible hike through the most amazing rock anywhere - Arizona with grass! Afterwards continue back to the A855. Try Columba 1400 in Staffin for lunch. Visit Staffin Slipway, Kilt Rock and Lealt, which is not signposted but easy to locate. About 5k after Kilt Rock viewpoint the road descends and there is a large Car Park on the left.
This is the classic North Skye "P" trip!
Elgol will not fail to inspire!
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 09:31 PM

Good info. I was going to ask a similar question. Bookmarking instead. Thanks.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Great SkyeHigh...any good Forest recommendations? This is wonderful information! Thank you!
Old May 6th, 2012, 05:08 PM

Bookmarking as am hoping i get to do similar.