lodgings in Rome near Via cavour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have reservations for the Nicolas B&B in Rome for 2 nights in late October. Now friends have decided to join us in Rome, but the Nicolas is full. Can anyone recommend a nice hotel or B&B in the same area and in the same price range?? (130 Euro per nite).

Here's the URL of the Nicolas location:
http://www.nicolasinn.com/images/nimap.jpg

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 07:04 PM

Hi

On via Cavour there is Al 58 di Via Cavour - www.58viacavour.it or the B&B Tourist House - http://www.touristhouse.it.

Ciao
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response.

Is anybody out there familiar with the "Tourist House"? According to the web page, it's on the fifth floor, but it does have an elevator.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 09:51 AM

I replied to this last night, but I guess I overstepped some boundaries and it got pulled. Hmmm.

Anyway, we have stayed in this area - a few blocks from where you will be. We stayed in an apartment, but this hotel is great - about your price range and across from a great locals trattoria that we ate at twice.

Duca D'Alba Hotel, Via Leonina 14 Rome

You can google for the URL. I gave it, but maybe that's why my message was deleted? Also, you can look up reviews on this hotel, too.

Good luck
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Brahmama, what could you have possibly typed that would have been bounced??

They don't bounce messages because of URL's.

Thanks for the information!!
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Brahmama - it's not your memory.

You answered my identical post on slowtrav.

Thanks again...
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 11:14 AM

This is driving me crazy now too, because I read your post last night Brahmama, and I don't remember anything weird in it that would cause it to be deleted.

I hope we can solve this mystery.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 03:11 PM

Well, you are all right! sssteve, I did answer your other post and put in lots of details and reviews.

But then reading through Fodor's, I really thought this was where I answered it. I had just read that long thread on Censorship and decided that I had quoted too many things and boom - it was gone!

I think what I'll blame it on is that it's ragweed season here in the boonies and the Benydryll really does a number on me! I've been walking around like a zombie. A SNEEZING zombie.

Anyway, hope you find just what you like! We'll be there starting the 21st of October and just can't wait!

Carol
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 03:18 PM

Well, then what is my excuse?? I'm not on anything!I guess all these posts and replies get confusing. I swore I saw you mention a hotel that I bookmarked. I bookmarked the Tourist House, so maybe that is the only thing I noted!

I have to start reading some France posts, maybe it will clarify my muddled mind!!

Old Sep 5th, 2005, 03:42 PM

Isn't 58 via Cavour the flea-pit that some tout is always pushing on these threads?

I recall the name -- or rather address-- from some very nasty exchanges last winter.

Anyway the tout ended up exchanging Latin insults with posters here on Fodors....

Tell me if I have it wrong....
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 04:07 PM

Hi

Sorry I should've mentioned that we stayed at Tourist House. Yes it does have an elevator. The B&B is in a beautiful building. A short walk from the Termini and the Cavour metro is across the road. The rooms were basic (as you would expect in this price range) but spacious and clean. Room was soundproof, airconditioning worked fine and beds were comfortable. The breakfast wasn't much though - just a cornetto and coffee. From the website it doesn't seem like they offer it now in any case. There are plenty of cafes around anyway. All in all a memorable stay at this B&B in beautiful Rome.

Cheers
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 04:23 PM

We stayed at Hotel Paba this summer. It is on Via Cavour, probably in the same block with the Nicolas, and it was very satisfactory. I believe it is a 2 Star, and cost about 135E in the summer, possibly less in October.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 04:25 PM

Yes, that 58 via Cavour is the infamous hotel which was advertised here.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 07:01 PM

Well this is bizarre. On Trip Advisor a guest gave the Tourist House a real bagging and 58 via Cavour got several good reviews! I stayed at Tourist House in September 2001 so things may have changed since then. See this link - http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/H...ome_Lazio.html

Good luck
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 10:25 AM

sssteve
5 of us stayed at the Nicolas Inn in May for 3 nights and it's great! My suggestion is to email Melissa there and ask her for suggestions; she is incredibly helpful.

After our stay, 2 of us tried to stay there again at the end of our trip, but it was a holiday and she couldn't accommodate us. She did give us the names and numbers of other places to try.

Keep trying at the Nicolas as well, maybe someone will cancel.

Good luck.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 10:56 AM

Worldinabag: Unfortunately, one of the nastier habits of the person or persons unknown who pushed Al 58 here is that he/she/they post dozens of good reviews of their fleabag on Tripadvisor and dozens of nasty reviews of their competitors...
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 11:07 AM

Not sure if you are interested, but we stayed in an excellent convent lodging just off Via Cavour, east of the Forum. Price was around 40 USD in 2003 for double with private toilet and bath. E-mail if interested.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Thhnks for all the advice.

Here's what happened...

I did write to Nicolas and they gave me the names of 6 or 7 places near them. I checked them all and made a recommendation to my friends. In the end they made a reservation at the Duca d' Alba. A little more expensixe, but it looks like a very nice place. It got generally good reviews on tripadvisor.

So, to anybody who will be in Rome between October 22-25, see ya!!!

Old Sep 6th, 2005, 12:39 PM

Great ssssteve!
Don't forget about the trattoria almost across the street. It's not fancy but the food is great. We'll be in Rome 21 - 24 Oct and we'll be at the Vecchia Roma. You'll recognize us - we'll have a liter of their casa del vino, and big grins! (Oh, and the food of course!)
Have a great time in Roma,
Carol
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 02:17 PM
KT

Carol, if you're carrying a liter of their casa del vino, you'll probably already have had at least a liter of their vino della casa!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -