Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

lodging in Palermo-reactions to my short list or other suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2022, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I would be grateful for any recommendations on a hotel (either large or a smaller boutique style hotel) or a B&B in Palermo (3 night stay). I've checked for availability many of the ones mentioned frequently in threads and TRs. Among those that are often praised and that also have availability for my dates include: Grand Hotel Wagner (a bit "fusty" in style for my taste, but certainly can stay there, given the positive reviews and the feel of "Old Palermo" that the hotel suggests--however, I'm concerned about the mentions of poor wifi--we use it so much when traveling, and there is a potential family matter during our trip that may mean dependable wifi is important); Falkensteiner Hotel (also known as Hotel Palazzo Sitano, though noting that several reviewers mention a good bit of street noise at night--DH a light sleeper); Ai Cartari B&B (I think may have availability--I am awaiting a reply as I could not check inventory on line).

These places also get mentioned a lot in TRs and in TA threads, but are unavailable for my dates: Palazzo Pantaleo; Hotel Ambasciatore; B&B La Bella Vita; Delle Vittorie. I have been unable to track down Villa Alloro for some reason (it is mentioned favorably in several threads). I saw a mention on someone's blog of Massimo Plaza Hotel--it looks nice and has solid reviews (and is available for my dates). It's a bit pricier than I'd like, but not so far out of the realm to make it a definite no.

What I am looking for is a charming, atmospheric lodging; responsive staff; a neighborhood that feels safe, is attractive, and will be well located so that we can walk to good restaurants, bakeries, shops, food markets; a quiet room; and local ownership. Many things I have read suggest that it is ideal to stay in the Politeama neighborhood--if some here disagree, I am always open to hearing different views from this knowledgable community. I was in Palermo 10 years ago, but a friend planned the trip and I don't recall where we stayed, only that it was a particularly bad Airbnb. I'd be grateful for any suggestions that I might then investigate (and I'll also check in on TA). Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Mar 17th, 2022, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Weird to reply to my own query but just to correct one thing. My notes are a bit of a mess I wrote to Palazzo Pantaleo to check on availability (and inquire about a quiet room, as per Alison’s very helpful Sicily TR report). Will look forward to hearing from them tomorrow.
Old Mar 17th, 2022, 06:33 PM

We loved our stay at the Atmosfere Punch b&b. The woman who runs it went out of her way to make us feel at home and her breakfasts were wonderful. The b & b is an artistically decorated home and is well located - walking distance to shops, restaurants and the main sites. Initially we were concerned as many of buildings on the street were being renovated (this was in 2019) but the b & b is in a beautifully remodeled building which was quiet and felt very safe. We hope to return someday.
Old Mar 17th, 2022, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Wonderful—many, many thanks for the suggestion, sounds like a great find
Old Mar 18th, 2022, 03:39 AM

KTravel, what a wonderful find! I would stay there in a heartbeat!

realazzo Pantaleo - studenttobe, I imagine you read my comments about the place. It’s fine, but we were a bit disappointed. So many people praised the host that I expected someone warm and engaging, and he was neither. The room was spacious and quiet, as it overlooked the courtyard, which was a small parking lot, but wasn’t an especially charming space. It was certainly well maintained, excellent location, and the breakfast was great, so you can’t go wrong. But we felt let down.
Old Mar 18th, 2022, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by progol
KTravel, what a wonderful find! I would stay there in a heartbeat!

realazzo Pantaleo - studenttobe, I imagine you read my comments about the place. It’s fine, but we were a bit disappointed. So many people praised the host that I expected someone warm and engaging, and he was neither. The room was spacious and quiet, as it overlooked the courtyard, which was a small parking lot, but wasn’t an especially charming space. It was certainly well maintained, excellent location, and the breakfast was great, so you can’t go wrong. But we felt let down.
Progol, So appreciate the reminder!!!!!!! Thanks for saving me from my messy notes & imperfect cross checking before sending out inquiries (life's too short for indifferent mgmt, lack of charm, and a parking lot view). Pantaleo officially off my list now. Many thanks--have a great list now thanks to leads from KTTravel and TA. checking availability at several very appealing places now.