Lodging in Garmisch or area near there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry if some of you have already answered this question, but I can't seem to find a good place to stay for 3 nights in the Garmisch area. We'll be in Paris 3 nights, then fly to Munich and plan to drive south for 3 nights, then Munich for 2 nights. We have the Munich hotel planned, but we can't seem to find what we want in Garmisch area.

We'd like to stay in a small town (since before is Paris and after is Munich).

We don't have to actually stay in Garmisch, but that is what I have seen most info on. We plan to do a lot of outside activities (early April -- I know it might still be cooler weather then). There will be 3 of us (me, husband and 17-year-old son).

Someone had mentioned a place in Garmisch that sounded good, but somehow I've lost that information.

Thanks very much.
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 09:55 AM

If you have a car, Gastehaus Reiter, about 2 km outside of Garmisch, might work for you:

http://www.reiter-gap.com/

We had the "Alpspitze" apartment on the first floor, and our son slept on the sofa. But it looks like it's furnished differently now. However, I'm sure they will suggest something appropriate for three of you.
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 10:58 AM

I think this meets your criteria...

http://www.haus-schurr.de.vu/

We (wife and son) spent a week there and loved it. Beautiful!

Elke speaks enough English if that is a concern.
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I will look up both of these.
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 07:56 AM

Hot. Gasthof Fraundorfer in Partenkirche: food is not great, but substantial and the festive restaurant is very much fun and inexpensive.
M
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 12:57 PM

HILLEPRANDT HOTEL is located in a quiet neighborhood. We have stayed there numerous times and will when we next return to Garmisch.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 01:25 PM

We have stayed twice at the Gastof Fraundorfer. We stayed in a "suite" that had 2 bedrooms, a little sitting area and a bathroom.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 05:06 AM

Samsaf:

Check out Bensbaurenhof.com or google bavvarian ben. His web site is loaded with great information for that area
JOHN
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 05:07 AM

That was to google bavarian ben.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 05:13 AM

www.bensbauernhof.com

That was very lazy on my part. Sorry but it was not fair to Ben and his fine site!
John
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 08:56 PM

We stayed in the Fraundorfer also. The Volksabend in the restaurant was fun. I ordered a kind of omelet with bacon (I forget the German name) and got this gigantic serving. Everyone at our table howled when they saw it. It could have fed a small family.
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 04:36 AM
ExpertTripPlanner

Enjoyed dinner at Frauendorfer - not to be missed.

Gasthaus Hohenzollern in Garmisch- lovely people, nice breakfast, very well-situated. Low-moderate ... definitely for someone on a budget- small bathrooms and some street noise (if your room is on the street). Had an adequate, small room here. Nothing fancy, but I spent most of my time hiking!

Old Dec 16th, 2006, 05:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Samsaf,
We stayed in Mittenwald this past Oct. and in April '05, an easy 20 minute drive south of Garmisch. Both times we stayed at Pension Schwalbennestl. It's in a quiet location overlooking Mittenwald with a great panoramic view of the mountains surrounding it. Just down the street there is a meadow with goats and sheep, walking/hiking paths and some of the most beautiful scenery I've seen. Mittenwald's pedestrian zone is a 5 to 10 minute walk from there. If you write to them, tell Frau Bader that Paul and Diane from New Jersey recommended you to them.
www.schwalbennestl.de
www.mittenwald.de

Paul

Old Dec 16th, 2006, 03:42 PM

When we were there two Christmas's ago we stayed at Hotel Edelweis, See my report under Winter Wonderland for a very long review of the hotel. We loved it and I would imagine that it would be delightful in the Spring. Check out their website at www.hoteledelweiss.de
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 05:13 AM

Hi samsaaf!

I'm sitting in Mittenwald as I write this (*what* am I doing indoors!), and I wholly concur that Mittenwald is the village for you if you want quiet & sweet. I'm staying in an apartment, but you may want to look at the 3-star Hotel Alpenrose, right in the pedestrian zone (you can find it at the Mittenwald site listed above). It has a car-park.

Good luck!

s
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 05:38 AM

Oberammergau is just up the road a piece. Last December we stayed at Hotel Friedenshohe (http://www.friedenshoehe.de/) and absolutely loved the place. Oberammergau is a nice touristy little town with lots of interesting wood carvings, religious items, dairy products and Christmas decorations. Very nearby are King Ludwig's Linderhof and Ettal Abbey. Garmisch is less than a half hour away by way of a scenic twisting (non-dangerous except in Winter) road. The area around Oberammergau is chockerblock full of hiking and cross-country skiing trails. As well as scenic country churches and farms.

In April the weather shouldn't be too much of a problem since the Germans are the very best at keeping their roads plowed.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everybody. I'm checking out all these recommendations. Thanks very much for taking the time to help us.