Berchtesgaden apartment

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berchtesgaden apartment

Hi there
I'm looking for any recommendations for apartments in or around the Berchtesgaden area. No specific must-haves, more interested in good experiences.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Cheers!
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 06:59 AM

One of my favorite places in the Berchtesgaden area that might interest you is the Bergbauernhof (Mountain farm) Vorderloiplsau in the hills above Ramsau. The views are awesome plus there are some very nice restaurants just down the hill from the farm (easy walks or short drive). The Vorderloiplsau offers 4 apartments with very reasonable rates. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.
http://www.bensbauernhof.com/vorderloiplsauramsau.html

If you have no interest in staying at a farm - here is a place highly recommended by one of my Stammtisch friends - the Gasthaus Maria Gern - which is located just above and behind the famous Maria Gern chapel - http://www.bensbauernhof.com/gasthausmariagern.html

...Ben
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 07:07 AM

We stayed in a wonderful apartment just outside of Berchtesgaden in Schonau, about 5 km from the Konigssee. The woman who owns the apartments does not speak a word of English, but she was so charming nevertheless and we had no problems. She places fresh rolls outside of our door each morning.

Our apartment had a living room, kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. There was a long balcony, and could be accessed from botht he bedroom and living room. The views were amazing. The town was a short walk away, and is small and quite charming. There was a small bakery with chocolate croissants that were out of this world, and a small bank with ATM.

The website is http://www.hinterbrandner.de/ and we stayed in the "Jenner" aparment. I used http://babelfish.altavista.com/ to translate the page.

Overall we absolutely loved this place and the whole region. It was perfect for exploring the towns in the Berchtesgadenland region, including Ramsau, Bad Reichenhall and Maria Gern and was also a 20 minute drive to Salzburg.

Tracy

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 07:08 AM

Forgot to mention that the aparmtent was about 50 euro per night, making it an excellent deal.

Tracy
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 08:51 AM

It would be helpful to know what time of year your travel will be and if you will have a car. Without a car, I would pick something in or near town (unless you are quite comfortable with the bus system in the area). With a car, then you need to decide if you want to be near the town, in the "burbs" or near some other attraction. In the winter, I would choose closer to town, but in the summer, I would gravitate towards something at a higher elevation.
Can you be more specific with your request?
You can view many of the rental properties at http://www.gastgeber-berchtesgaden.de/index2.html.
There is an English translation available on the site.
I have seen the guesthouse Maria Gern , as recommended by Ben and it is very nice. There are literally hundreds of great choices in this general area as this spot is a terrific haven for hikers - I can honestly say that I have never stayed in a "bad" guesthouse and we have been in this area many times.
Most folks do not want to rent for only one night in this area. Future posters should know that you can always go to the "Kur and Kongresshaus" in the center of Berchtesgaden town (right next to the underground parking garage). You can purchase a hard copy of the "Gastgeber" inside and there is a travel office there that will assist you with lodging at no fee. It is also customary to look at a room (if you want to) before you decide to take it.

Old Aug 30th, 2006, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations and websites!
Emily yes we will have transport and we intend to be there in July. We'll have been travelling for about 10 weeks and we're thinking of stopping in the area for two weeks as we loved it when we were there last year. I know there are lots of places to choose from so I'm using recommendations to help narrow down options!
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 06:24 AM

Sorry for my late response as I have been traveling for business...
July is a great time to visit this area and hopefully you will have some great weather. In 2 weeks you should be able to really enjoy the sights and hopefully take in some good hiking as well. July and August are peak times for hikers from all over to this area and if you want a place for 2 weeks I would recommend planning way in advance - definitely by December.
If you have a car, then your choices are limitless.An apartment in this area generally includes a kitchen or cooking area, as described by Tracy.
Our experiences have been in guesthouses ( I don't want to cook on vacation!!!) but I am happy to share our favorite spots.
In the town, the Hotel Vier Jahrezeiten is excellent and would give you the advantage of being able to walk around the town without using your car. Their service is always top notch. Their restaurant - Hubertus Stuben - should not be missed whether or not you stay here.On a cool nite, I love their cheese fondue. Personally, I would not stay in town for this period of time but rather I would get a place in one of the more scenic and serene areas (and probably cooler).
One of our favorite haunts is the area of the Obersalzberg. Since we are hikers, we tend to gravitate towards the higher spots in the summer. Pension Rennlehen and Pension Perlerlehen are both gems and they are located roughly half way up the Kehlstein in a very quiet and scenic meadow. The nearby restaurant, Salzburgeralm, is excellent and we always enjoy having dinner outside, overlooking the town in the distance. On a warm summer evening, this is one our our tops picks for a memorable dinner outside. The Salzburgeralm also has rooms but we have never stayed there so I can not comment on the accomodations. Further up the mountain is the Hotel zum Turken. For those who wish to soak up some history, this is a good spot. You can visit the underground bunkers under the hotel and you are a short walk to the bus stop to the Obersalzberg to visit the Eagle's Nest. The zum Turken is located directly above the spot where Hitler's house was located (it is now all destroyed).
Just down the road a bit is the Guesthaus Sonneck. This place is run by Hermann and Rosemarie Fischer and is mostly a popular restaurant on good weather days. There are 3 rooms on the top level that can be rented and it is generally a very good value to stay here.Hermann's breakfast will fill you up for the day - he learned to cook while working at the American R&R spots that used to be located in Berchtesgaden, so he speaks excellent English.
In Ramsau, we enjoy the Berghotel Rehlegg, which I believe is now part of the Best Western chain. Rooms here are spacious and there is a small but nice outdoor pool which is uncommon in this area.
In Schonau, there are some nice spots near and around the fields that comprise the bottom of the ski run for the Jenner. While they are near the Konigsee, they are far enough at a distance to avoid the crowds that are going to the lake every day. We enjoyed staying at the Hotel Bergheimat. From this spot, you can easily walk to the Jenner ski lift and the Konigsee. This is a great area for sitting and watching the hang gliders descend upon the fields after their journey down from the Jenner peak.
These are just a few ideas. After you spend time in this area, you will see that is is quite large and there are many, many places to stay and as I said in a prior post, I have never had a bad experience in any hotel or guesthouse here. The folks in this area are terrific. If I ever win the lottery, I plan to spend a whole summer hiking and hitting every trail in the Alps!
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 07:00 AM

Emily, you make me long to return! We really truly loved this area and are hikers ourselves. We determined that if we were ever able to own a vacation home in Europe, this is the area we would want it to be in.

I wish I read some of these tips before our trip last year because they certainly would have been useful.

Swood, I hope you have a fabulous time!

Tracy
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 08:08 AM

Great information! Bookmarking...
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 09:28 AM

We'll be there in mid-October. Will we be safe just driving in and looking for a place or do we need reservations?

Thanks!
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 11:59 AM

You should be able to easily get something in mid October. Keep in mind that many places will not take guests just for a nite or two. Instead of driving around, I would go to the Kur and Kongress Haus in the center of town and let them help you to find a place. They speak English and they can direct you quite nicely.They will call your selection and set everything up for you at no charge. You can also look at the room in the selected hotel before you make your decision - that is the custom in this area. It will help you if you can decide which area that you want ahead of time - this is a very large area with many guesthouses, farmhouses, apartments and hotels. Have fun!
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Thanks, Emily. We plan to spend three nights, so maybe we can get an apartment.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 05:18 PM

We had a great time at gaestehaus stoekl (www.gaestehaus-stoeckl.de ) in July this last summer. The owners are wonderful hosts and great cooks! We had a fun with the other two couples who were staying there at the time, both German. The view from the breakfast room is quite nice, and you can see the Eagle's Nest lit up off in the distance at night. The b & b is in a small town near Bertchesgaden. We took day trips every day and found the location to be perfect.

Old Sep 15th, 2006, 08:59 PM

Hi there,
On our last visit to Berchtesgaden we stayed in a lovely apartment, delightful quiet setting but just a short easy walk into town, website www.marienblick.de/english We had the one bedroom apartment which was spacious, absolutely immaculate, well equipped and a beautiful view of the Eagles Nest from the balcony. The owner, Ingrid, speaks very little English but that just added to the fun, she is charming and very kind. We arrived late on a Sunday, stores were shut and Ingrid gave us all the basics for a meal and wouldn't take any payment.
Can't wait to go back....
Hope this helps.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 03:30 PM

Thanks for all the great information and suggestions. The prices sure look good! I have a feeling Berchtesgaden is going to be a "vacation within a vacation"!