Berchtesgaden

Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berchtesgaden

My husband and I will be visiting the Berchtesgaden area this coming July for about three nights. We prefer Pensions with private bath. Any suggestions and also any recommendation for restaurant, side trips are welcome. Thank you in advance.

Erika
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 07:06 AM
ira

Hi E,

We very, very much liked our stay at www.ammoos.at/main.php?language=en&m=home)

They are about 0:20 hr by car from Berchtesgaden.

Details in my trip report:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=35014078

Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 07:43 AM

I stayed at Hotel Wittelsbach last September. The taxi up cost 8€. The walk down to the train station or bus is fine, but coming back up is a steep path. The breakfast was really good. My room was clean-nothing special. The staff were nice and helpful. There is a computer in the lobby for your use. And the price makes it a winner. I paid 47€ for a single.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 07:53 AM

I'm not sure if you will have a car and if you are interested in staying outside of Berchtesgaden a bit, but we stayed in a truly lovely ferienwohnung (vacation apartment) in Schonau, about a 5 minute drive from Berchtesgaden, twice. The first apartment we rented for 6 nights, back in 05, had one bedroom, the second, rented for 3 nights in April had two. Both had a nice kitchen, bathroom, living room and a full balcony with unbeatable views of the mountains. We were within walking distance of two bakeries, a few small restaurants and a bank with an ATM. Plenty of other restaurants were within an easy drive, and the ferienwohnung is only 2 km from the Konigssee.

The website is www.hinterbrandner.de. Please note that the owners speak little English so I had to translate my message to them using babelfish, but they are very nice. We received fresh rolls each morning, in a little bag hanging from our door knob.

Tracy
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 07:54 AM

Oops...forgot to mention that my trip report is under my name and we have pics of each apartment, from their respective trips, on www.kodakgallery.com/tracybates.

Tracy
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Erika,

One of our favorite places to stay anywhere is the Pension Mayringerlehen in Ramsau, about 15 minutes from Berchtesgaden.

www.mayringerlehen.de

As for day trips, the second half of our trip report may be of some help:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ith-photos.cfm

Paul
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:24 PM

Not a pension but we enjoyed our stay at Hotel Bavaria and we were able to walk to the tour office for our tour of Eagles Nest (one of the highlights for my husband) and it's a short walk to the bus and train station also. We took the bus to Lake Konigssee and the train to Salzburg after our stay in Berchtesgaden.
http://www.hotelbavaria.net/index1_e.htm

Enjoy your trip. We loved that area.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:25 PM

Must be a senior moment...we took the bus to Salzburg which was recommended over the train.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 04:12 PM

bookmarking, DH and I have this on our to do list! I'll read the trip reports, to, and thank you for that.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 04:21 PM

Loved this place--the hosts are wonderful--great cooks, hospitable and lots of fun!!!

http://www.gaestehaus-stoeckl.de/Englisch/home.html
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions, they are greatly appreciated. In the meantime I emailed Hinterbrandner and they had no availability for our time frame. I am corresponding with Gaestehaus Stoeckle. I am just a little bit worried that the rooms are small. It seems that the Pensions are filling up pretty fast.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 05:50 PM

Erika, Hope you find a nice place to stay. (Shamefully bookmarking because I can't right click on the thread title to save in my favorites. Sorry.)
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 06:18 PM
jgg

I second the recommendation of Haus am Moos.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 01:01 AM

Hi Erika, some very good impressions of Berchtesgaden, accommodations tips for activities can be found here:

http://www.germanplaces.com/germany/berchtesgaden.html

The pictures are very professional, so that you will a good feeling what will you expect in Berchtesgden with Lake Konigssee.

have fun there!
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 07:01 AM

The train to Salzburg takes the long way around, through Freilassing, Germany, then across the border (river) into Salzburg. The Watzmann Express bus goes a more direct route from the Busbahnhof in Berchtesgaden (next to train station) to the Hauptbahnhof in Salzburg. You can buy an all day pass for the RVO buses in Berchtesgaden for about €8,50, and that will include your round trip to Salzburg.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 07:52 AM

Hi Ericka,

Don't know if you have heard back from the Stoeckle but I did want you to know that there is no shortage of outstanding places to stay within the general area of B'gaden. We have stayed in many different hotels, B&B's and guesthouses in the area for the last 33 years. Since you are going in July, many of the most well known (by Americans) may already be booked. This is a huge hiking mecca and some places fill up quickly. However, I am sure you will find something.
We have stayed at the Hotel Rehlegg (Best Western) in Ramsau and we have stayed at the Hotel Nutzkaser in Ramsau within the last year. Both of these spots are about a 15 minute drive to B'gaden. Will you have a car? If you can let us know what you want to spend or where you want to be, we can all recommend more spots.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 07:55 AM

<http://www.kodakgallery.com/ViewSlideshow.action?&collidparam=553421450113.980610450113.123584001946 9>

here's a link to pix of B'gaden and Ramsau and the hotel websites are listed
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys. You are great. I did book with the Gaestehaus Hinterponholz in Ramsau. It looks like a nice place and the people seem friendly. Pension Meisl did answer my email yesterday, apparently they had a big snow storm and the internet was down. I am really looking forward to this trip. About 30 years ago we were in the same area, but it rained. If any one can recommend excursion, restaurants, etc. that would be great. We will be renting a car, but plan to go to Salzburg by train. The Salzburg Music Festival will start on July 25, I guess that is why it was so hard to find a place.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 03:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,

Recommendations for dinner...

Gasthof Gebirgshausl in Bischofswiesen (on the road between Berchtesgaden and Ramsau).

Don Camillo in Bad Reichenhall

Excursions, there are so many! Here's a few we liked:
Ludwig's Neues Schloss (Herrenchiemsee)
Bad Reichenhall
Hallstatt and the Salzkammergut
Zell am See
Koenigsee
Jennerbahn

Here are two links to helpful websites for the Berchtesgaden area and Ramsau:

www.ramsau.de

www.berchtesgaden.com

Hope this helps.

Paul
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 03:44 PM

We stayed with Klaus and Sissi at Gaetehaus Stoeckl in December 2006 and had a wonderful stay. They were probably the friendliest and most helpful innkeepers we've run across in 25 years of travelling through Europe. You will need a vehicle if you stay there and it is a wee bit tricky to find in a snowstorm at night, but it is well worth the effort.

If you have time to waste, check out our trip report:

http://tinyurl.com/auy6kv

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -