Reload this Page >

Lodging in Garmisch/Oberammergau

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 1998, 06:57 PM
Doug

At Christmas I'm taking my kids for first trip to Germany and want to visit Royal Castles and Bavaria. <BR>Tour books and internet don't give much info on cheaper accomodations (below $100 per night). Any suggestions?

Old Jun 13th, 1998, 07:04 PM
wes fowler

<BR>Doug, <BR>Nine years ago, we stayed in a family owned inn in a small farming village called Hohenfurch. Our huge, immaculate room, with bath, refrigerator, sink, two burner stove, king sized bed, dining table and chairs and furnished private balcony cost $36.00 a night and included a generous breakfast of meats, cheeses, breads and superb coffee. It was the most expensive room in the inn. The inn's dining room featured Bavarian specialties, as well as trout taken from a lovely but frigid alpine stream that flows through the center of the village to the river Lechs about a quarter of a mile away. On the weekend, the restaurant featured live Bavarian music provided by locals in a wonderfully relaxed and informal atmosphere. Its low cost might allow you to splurge on a hotel at or near the airport for your first night's stay. <BR> <BR>No one in the place spoke English! We spoke no German, but we had no difficulty in communicating our needs. When we arrived, for example, the place was locked up tight. The only evidence of life was a pair of cats drinking milk from a pail near the kitchen. I finally got someone's attention through a kitchen window, was directed to the front entrance by hand signals, presented a copy of my letter requesting a reservation and was led to our delightful room. We discovered later that Hohenfurch caters to German skiers in winter but rarely sees American tourists, if ever. The hotel is the Landgasthof Schonach-Hof, operated by the Haslach family. The address is Kapellenstrasse 22, D-8928 Hohenfurch; telephone: 08861/4108. <BR> <BR>The village is small but charming. You'll awaken to the sound of cowbells every morning. A trout laden alpine stream and lush lawns and most attractive homes with lovely gardens and windowboxes laden with geraniums or petunias border its one main street. The village church is typical of the region; austere from the outside with red roof, stuccoed walls that set off a mural of a religious figure and no stained glass windows. The interior is breath taking, as is the small graveyard beyond the church. One would think the gravesites were tended by a Japanese gardener. St. Ursula's, a small chapel built in 1492, sits on a knoll amidst cow pastures just to the south of the inn. The village has a small grocery store and bakery and despite the name Bahnhofstrasse (Railroad Station Street), no train station. <BR> <BR>The entire Pfaffenwinkel area is criss-crossed with hiking trails, all of which offer superb views. Hiking routes appear in the Pfaffenwinkel brochure. <BR> <BR>Hohenfurch is situated on Route B17, the German Romantic Road, so named because it courses through a number of charming, delightful, historic towns and villages from Wurzburg in the north, through Rothenburg o.d. Tauber, Augsberg, Landsberg (where Hitler wrote "Mein Kampf" while imprisoned there), Hohenfurch, Schongau and Fussen. <BR> <BR>Drive to the Wieskirche near Steingaden, about 12 miles from Hohenfurch to see the epitome of rococo artistry. Drive 10 miles to Rottenbuch and visit another rococo masterpiece, the parish church; (you'll see its bell tower from the road). Drive to Peiting about 8 miles from Hohenfurch ascend Hohe Peissenberg and get a stunning view of the Alps and eleven alpine lakes. Drive to Schongau, only 3 miles from Hohenfurch, have a meal at the Alte Post Inn, then walk the 700-year-old ramparts that encircle part of the town. <BR> <BR>Drive 25 miles south to Schwangau and visit mad King Ludwig's fairy tale castle, Neuschwanstein. Visit his more sedate castle Hohenschwangau in the same village. Take the Tegelberg cable railway to view the German and Austrian Alps. <BR> <BR>Drive a bit further to Oberammergau. Many of the residents will remind you of New Testament figures. A Passion Play is staged in Oberammergau every ten years (next in 2000) and the citizenry make up the play's cast. Oberammergau, while famous for its Passion Play, is equally famous for its huge population of wood carvers and for the murals on the exterior walls of most of its homes and shops. Great place for souvenir hunting! <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 15th, 1998, 05:48 AM
Doug

Thanks for the info. It sounds exactly like what we need.

Old Jun 15th, 1998, 06:32 AM
Richard

Doug, You might also consider Fussen. Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau are <BR>both within walking distance. Buses also leave from here to Oberammergau, Garmisch-Part. and Steingaden. Fussen is a nice sized town, lots to walk around and see after dinner. We stayed at the Hotel Schlossgasthof 'Zum Hechten' about a month ago. It's a family run place, good breakfast, nice rooms and Wolf is a great host. Price was 120DM/night for two. For a brochure, fax them at 08362/9160 99 (add the country code for Germany). If you're driving, they have a private car park. Christmas would be a great time to be in Fussen.

Old Jun 15th, 1998, 06:05 PM
Dennis Holland

Christmas/New Years is a very busy time in Bavaria. Many hotels are booked a year in advance. Garmisch is nice but expensive. We have stayed at the Hotel Leiner in Partenkirchen, right across from the ski jump. They serve a buffet breakfast and have an indoor pool but are not as expensive as other hotels in the town. If you have a car you can stay somewhere outside of town on the way to the Zugspitze, much cheaper lodging and restaurants. Garmisch has lots to do for families, huge indoor pool complex with wave pool. Indoor and outdoor skating, skiing, hiking (they pave walkways alongside the ski trails in the mountains), nearby sightseeing already mentioned. They have Heimat Abends (local folk music and dancing, several places including Frauendorfer, but that can be smoky), visit the local museum, also movie theater shows films in English as Garmisch hosts lots of US military on vacation.

Old Jun 24th, 1998, 10:28 PM
Bob

We have used the Hotel Hilleprandt in Garmisch many times. Around the $100 u are looking for. Furniture is new and rooms are clean. Set in a nice neighborhood near the ice stadium. if you want more details and fax number, email me at [email protected]. Also check out the Karen Brown book on German Hotels and Castles. All good recommendations. Have a good trip.. <BR>

Old Jun 27th, 1998, 04:06 PM
Rosemary

I just got back from the Garmishc area. I stayed <BR>at the Hotel Columbo Quellenhof located in Grainau <BR>a tiny distance from Garmisch.Fax 08821/185-333. <BR>I have stayed there many times before. Ask for <BR>room 215 or 209. There were 3 adults traveling and <BR>the bill was DM161.40. I can estimate about $90.00. <BR>Enjoy your trip.

Old Jul 5th, 1998, 06:02 AM
Ismael Libanio

Many years ago we stayed at the Hotel Panorama in Partenkirchen. It was simple but it had a wonderful restaurant and a superb view that I can still remember: the hill covered with pine trees, both towns and the huge Zugzpitze. Have a nice trip.

Old Jul 7th, 1998, 03:34 PM
Doug

I have been able to contact both the hotels in Hohenfurch and the Hilleprandt in Garmisch. The latter is closed at the end of December when I'm going. I have been able to book at Landgasthof <BR>Schonach-hof, but the rate has risen quite a bit since you visited, Wes. It's now 150 DEM, but every <BR>other place I've tried is booked or at least twice as much. It seems the Germans really get out of <BR>town en masse during the Christmas/News Year's holidays. Thanks for all the help.