Reload this Page >

what to wear in UK

Search

what to wear in UK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 1998, 02:57 PM
Becky Frasure

what to wear in UK

I'm going on a tour of England and Scotland from July 28 through August 11. I will be buying clothes for my trip and would appreciate any suggestions on what to wear. Thanks in advance.

Old Jul 4th, 1998, 03:18 AM
sue

becky I just returned from England. Everybody young was wearing platfrom shoes and black clothes. People over thirty wore regular clothing just subdued in color. It really depends what you are comfortable in. be sure to take jacket and umbrella. it rained every day and was chilly. They expected it to continue this way all summer. Be sure not to overpack I took just one suitcase and I still overpacked I just lived in four outfits washing then every four days.

Old Jul 6th, 1998, 02:27 PM
anna

I agree. I can't believe they wear so much black there, even in summer. The height of platform shoes is ridiculous there but normal shoes are ok too. People DO wear jeans in London. Nobody wears caps anywhere so if you are prone to sunburn, bring sunscreen. The sun does come out there. The best advice we took before leaving was to pack light. We got by on a 22" wheeled carryon and either a school-sized backpack (kids) or very oversized purse (me) for each of us and did quite well.

Old Jul 6th, 1998, 02:34 PM
kam

You all would probably say the same thing about San Francisco---lots of dark clothes--conservative--take a wool blazer in case. Jeans OK depending on your age. Mid calf skirts or Tshirt dress for nights out in London. Umbrella--one wheelie small suitcase per person, especially if you're going on the trains. If you've ever been to SF in the summer, that's London except slightly warmer here. <BR>

Old Jul 7th, 1998, 05:20 AM
ole falk

Alway's wear rubber , wherever you are <BR>ole

Old Jul 7th, 1998, 03:45 PM
Mike Miller

Take an umbrella! Get a small one from a travel store and put it in your raincoat pocket. Also consider buying some waterproofing shoe spray or mink oil and treating your shoes before you leave. I have also always taken a sweater. If you don't take one buy one there at Marks & Spencers. A wool sweater is one of the good deals in the UK.