Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Locker facilities at Interlaken (Ost/West)?

Locker facilities at Interlaken (Ost/West)?

Sep 3rd, 2007, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Locker facilities at Interlaken (Ost/West)?

Hi,
While in Switzerland I would like to stay at Lauterbrunnen but on the way by train I would like to take a half day break at Interlaken. Is there a locker facility to store my luggage while at Interlaken (either at ost or west station) ?
Thanks.
Sep 6th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

bump.
Sep 6th, 2007, 01:21 PM

Yes at both stations, though not the tons you usually find - but always seem to be available in my many trips around the stations. Ost would be the most convenient of course - and it's less than a mile from West and the town centre.
Sep 6th, 2007, 09:15 PM

Interlaken West is much closer to the town center than Interlaken Ost, which is where you take the train to Lauterbrunnen.

The two stations are not that far apart, however, and I have walked from Interlaken Ost to the middle of the city more than once.

There is also a bus.

I really am not sure what you would do for half a day in Interlaken except walk around and look at stores which look like stores any place else.

I think it might make sense on a cloudy day when the mountains are obscured by fog, but if the day is sunny, I really think the beauty of the Alps puts Interlaken low on the priority list.

I have been there quite a few times I might add, and have yet to find much to attract me. I guess if I had the budget to stay at the Victoria Jungfrau my reaction would be different.

Sep 6th, 2007, 09:25 PM

Yes, there are lots of lockers at Interlaken Ost. Take Swiss coins---various-sized lockers take 3, 4, or 5-SFr coins. We have had to scramble for change and miss a train. Best to have what you need available when you arrive there.
Sep 7th, 2007, 07:18 AM

One thing you could do in Interlaken that most tourists never stumble upon - even apparently those who have been there frequently is to traipse around the old Unterseen part of town, just over the tracks a few blocks north from, yes, the ho-hum modern main drag, lined by watch and souvenir shops

But Unterseen has a classic old Swiss square - really cute - and it has two Lucerne-type wooden bridges with a swift-moving river and there are walks along the river that go through a really sylvan setting all the way to Ost Station - a very cute walk.

I too went through Interlaken several times before discovering the really dreamy part of it and i don't understand why the town does not highlight it more. Maybe they want them to stick to the tourist shop-lined main thorough fare.
Sep 10th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Appreciate all the responses. Got more useful information than I bargained for !

Search this Thread