Search

Location of the Selfridge Hotel - London

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Location of the Selfridge Hotel - London

Hello,

Has anyone ever passed by The Selfridge Hotel (Selfridge Orchard Street)? Any comments on its location? Is this hotel within a walking distance to attractions? Is there is anything to do in the immediate vicinity of the hotel late at night?

How is the hotel’s location comparing to the Holiday Inn Oxford Circus? They have the same rates during our trip to London, so we’re trying to choose the best location. Amenities don’t matter as much.

Thank you.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 11:21 AM

you'll probably hear a number of responses saying the Thistle chain can be hit or miss. But I stayed at the Selfridge (which seems different from other Thistles) a few years back and I really liked it. It was a bit of luxury for me because up until that point I stayed at B&Bs in London- which were nice enough but no frills. The local was excellent being a step away from the Tube, lots of shopping and yet quiet enough to get a good nights sleep.
Air conditioning was a plus, and the fluffy bathrobe and marble fixtures was much appreciated. We were at Theatre every night and never had trouble getting a late night snack after the show in the area, and it's walking distance to Hyde Park and Regent's Park.
I 've never stayed at the HI Oxford Circus but I'd stay in the Selfrdge again in a heartbeat.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 11:22 AM

sorry for all the typos in that last message.
; )
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 01:40 PM

I personally wouldn't stay at either one. Nothing wrong w/ either property, but I like to be as far from Oxford Street as possible. Well, only a slight exaggeration. Both are walking distance to the thousands of shops on Oxford st - another slight exaggeration. But neither is easy walking distance to much else besides the Wallace Collection and the Marble Arch corner of Hyde Park.

Both hotels are near the Bond St tube station - the Holiday Inn is a bit closer but both are an easy walk to the tube. The Selfridge is very nice - but you will be taking the tube most everywhwre . . . .
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, but I got unexpected responses. Previously I got replies that Holiday Inn Oxford Circus was VERY WELL located, but now I'm not sure any more ...
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 06:11 AM

voj124: If you look at your previous thread about The Holiday Inn, the one who highly praised its location is m_kingdom - a frequent poster here. But you have to know about m_kingdom's slant - more into shopping and posh surroundings - less about what is useful for the average tourist.

Now about these two hotels - they are not in a bad area at all. But they are a long way from most of the sites. I know the Selfridge more than the HI (have never been inside the HI) but both are a short walk from Bond Street tube.

If these are your two main choices they are certainly OK. Neither one is actually ON Oxford Street so a bit away from the madness of the shopping crowds.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:59 AM

I agree with janis' expert opinion of course (you helped me plan a few trips in the past).
I tend not to stay in the middle of it all- like near covent garden or trafalgar square, because I like to get away from it at the end of the day- and have parks nearby to relax in. I love the tube and bus system but also walk quite far distances. While staying at the Selfridge we walked through Hyde Park past Notting Hill and over to Ladbrooke Grove before returning- but that might not be a walk you want to take. And it's true Bond st tube station is always very busy.
I suppose if you want to be able to walk to all major attractions, Oxford st locale might not be the right choice for you. but you'll never feel isolated or alone on oxford and orchard- far from it! there's plenty around you- just not the London eye or Westminster Abbey.
I hope you give the area a try though because I think it's really convenient.