Search

Locarno in August or somewhere else?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2006, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locarno in August or somewhere else?

Hello

I am looking for some advice for an August destination for my family. We will be travelling for about a week and would like to stay in one place for the entire time. Our family includes myself, my husband, and our 2 children who will be 3 and 5 in August.

Our ideal destination will be a picturesque small town on the water with fabulous scenery. We don't like to drive for various reasons so we would like to stay somewhere where we can do numerous day-trips by train or boat. I am looking for a warm destination where we can perhaps do a day-trip, visit a castle, etc. in the morning and come back late afternoon and swim in the hotel pool, and walk to town for dinner. Plus spend one or 2 days hanging out at the hotel pool or lake with the kids.

Also, we sightsee with an all-terrain stroller so steep hilly places are not an option.

We are coming from London so we don't necessarily have to fly into a major airport, we will have no jetlag, and I don't mind spending all day to get to my destination.

I have eliminated Italy due to transportation issues.

My research has taken me to Locarno in Switzerland - we have never been to the Ticino area and it looks fabulous. I am concerned about the August heat and finding both a pool and air conditioning in our hotel. Also, I am not so sure if it is a small town and stroller friendly.

Does anyone have any details on Locarno or perhaps another destination in or out of the Ticino? I am also thinking about Annecy in France and maybe somewhere on the river in the Dordogne (but the car thing is holding me back there).

Thanks!

Old Dec 7th, 2006, 05:15 AM

You might want to check into Ascona, which is smaller and more picturesque, by most accounts, than Locarno, but still on Lago Maggiore and accessible to the rest of the region.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 05:33 AM

You are aware that Locarno hosts a film festival in August and as a consequence, the city gets VERY crowded and kind of rowdy during the festival and to some extent before and after as well. Prices go up then as well.
I suggest you look at Lugano instead, specifically the villages of Gandria and Morcote that are on either side of the main city. Very pretty. Lots to do in the area...boat cruises, going up to the top of the surrounding mountains, swimming in the lake (there is a nice beach in Lugano). A beautiful city park.
In Lugano itself, the Delfino hotel is family friendly, reasonably prices and has a very nice pool, but it may be too high up in the hills for you.

You can fly into Lugano airport. Caution: it's a gorgeous way to come into the area, but the descent into the airport is on the steep side (as is takeoff when leaving).
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 05:36 AM

Hi where2,

You're right to be concerned about the heat in the Ticino in August -- it can be unearthly. I visited Lugano in May one year, and it was too hot to sleep at night. My 5-star hotel didn't have a/c, just a fan and big windows. So if you decide on the Ticino, be very sure your hotel/apartment has a/c.

I think the town of Luzern would also meet your requirements, and it'll probably be cooler.

Of course I would always love to go to Lake Geneva, but it also is sweltering in August.

Good luck!

s
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 06:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Locarno would absolutely fit the bill but I prefer Ascona. We've been to Ascona the last three years with our children.

To get to Locarno from Ascona, you'll have to first take the bus to Locarno and then get on the train (about 15-20 min. bus ride). If you don't mind this, then go to Ascona.

You might want to check out Ascovilla in Ascona. I've walked by it many times and thought it is a nice hotel located between the town and the public beach. Children under 15 can stay for free in the rooms and there is a swimming pool. The public beach is sensational with grass, sandy beaches, large shady trees and playgrounds.

Weather problem. It might be very hot in Tessin so please look at the past averages. The later in August, the cooler it gets.

Weggis, near Lucerne, would be ideal except that our last two Augusts were awful. Cold and wet. Not the best swimming weather. Unfortunately, no one can predict the weather (and we do try so hard here to do it.) Weggis doesn't have a train station so you'll be taking the bus to Küssnacht and then take the train OR you can take the boat to your destinations. Weggis is located on the Vierwaldstättersee and is at the foot of Mt. Rigi. Very picturesque.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your help. I had no idea about the film festival. Ascona and the Ascovilla look absolutely fantastic. Does the festival affect Ascona as well? I am pretty flexible on my dates - we have a 6 week break from school - but it seems like the festival is right in the middle of it all.

I am not finding as much information on Gandria and Morcote but I will continue to look.

Thanks for your help!
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 06:14 PM

We were in Lugano last August and loved it. The setting is stunning - a lake surrounded by majestic mountains. A boat ride takes you around the lake with the ability to get off and on at will at the various landings. Gandria was charming but not sure it's stoller friendly - pretty steep and narrow as I remember it. The ride to the top of San Salvatore is spectacular. And, as it happened, the days we were there there was a small Caribbean music festival. Fun! I don't know if it was part of the festival, but there was a small carousel in the piazza for kids.

By the way, once you're in old town Lugano - down by the lake - it's relatively flat - stroller friendly.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 01:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've done the walk from Lugano to Gandria many times. From Lugano town, you walk through a park with a nice playground until you get to a small river. There are no foot bridges to walk over so you have to walk towards the road (which has a sidewalk) and walk along it until you get to the path towards Gandria. You'll walk by mediterranean vegetation, villas and have a lake view all the way.

The path takes you through some beautiful scenery with palm trees, small lizards, villas and no roads to be seen. It's stroller friendly until you get to the staircase that takes you up to Gandria. You'll have to carry the stroller up, which we've done as well.

Gandria is located on a hillside so all paths in the town are up or down. The town itself is carfree. It's a very quaint tiny village. You can take the ferry back to Lugano at a reasonable price.

Don't walk the path on a hot day though because it will be VERY hot.

We like to go to Lugano in the spring or fall when it's cloudy and rainy in central Switzerland but beautiful and warm in Tessin. One year on Nov. 1, we had snow in our little town so we drove down to Lugano, where we walked the path to Gandria in T-shirts because it was so warm.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 02:27 AM

Morcote is more level than Gandria (however, the adjacent Vico Morcote is up a steep hill). It's very pretty, I liked it even better than Gandria, and it's about a 20 to 30 minute pleasant walk from Lugano or a short trip on the boats.
One hotel possibility is the Carina Carlton, which is at a lower level, has a picturesque restaurant and also has a pool.
http://www.carina-morcote.ch/En/index.htm

Well reviewed in Karen Brown's Guide.
http://www.karenbrown.com/property.asp?propid=5207
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 02:31 AM

oops, sorry about that, my mistake, it is a longer walk than 20 minutes to Lugano...probably closer to an hour. But you can go by boat easily, esp. in August.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 12:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
bookmarking
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:04 PM

very informative. Would Lugano be a good place as a base for 2-3 days of hiking/sightseeing (without driving - I do public transit only)?
Old May 22nd, 2009, 06:47 AM

I think it would be excellent. Between the bus, the train and the boats, you're set. If you run out of hikes, you're a short train ride to Lake Como. Make sure you take the funicular to the top of Mt. San Salvatore, hike down to Morcote, and take the boat back to Lugano.