Lloret - Street Map

Search

Lloret - Street Map

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2003, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lloret - Street Map

Would anyone know where Avinguda Dr Flemming is in Lloret? Is it too close to the beach ?(yikes !) Is it close to public transport ? Alec if you happen to read this you had mentioed you had a street map of the area, if so could you please let me know. I tried the different maps on the web but it does not show up. We finally leave in the last week of June (can't wait) and will be taking all the valubale advice I have received from this site with me. Thanks
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 04:21 PM

http://www.ddgi.es/figueres/download/Planol.pdf

This is a PDF map which shows your street, in section A3. (There's a street index on p.2) You'll have to zoom in to see anything.

FYI, I found it by typing "map av dr fleming lloret" into the search engine at google.com. That is my usual starting point when searching for virtually any type of information, and it rarely lets me down.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 04:30 PM

hi Linda
Avinguda Dr flemming is a about a 15 minute walk to the beach, right through the main commercial area of Lloret de Mar. So it's definitely not near the beach. You have to cross the main east/west highway (Avingude vila Tossa) to get to the beach. The highway is a very busy one, but there are street lights and pedestrian crossings periodically along this stretch. You are fairly near the bull ring and several supermarkets. You are right in around where the market is held (I believe on Tuesdays)
The bus station is about 10 minutes, but there are bus stops along the highway as well. Depending on where you are going of course.
Just out of curiosity, are there specific reasons you are staying in Lloret? If you are there during the height of the summer it is full of young people who are having a great time being away from home for perhaps the first time. Depending on your hotel the noise level can be pretty bad especially when the bars and discos close and the people spill out onto the streets.
The beach is decent however filled with young people it may be. The town is a very touristy one, but it does house my favourite shoe shop!!

(check out mappy.com for a good map of the town..... and perhaps think about Tossa de mar if you need a bit quieter vacation
regards
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 05:21 PM

I too have found your address on my map, in an area called Bloch. It's one of the streets that snake up the hills from the main Lloret to Tossa road (Av Vila de Tossa) on the eastern edge of town. Quite built up, with a fair sprinkling of hotels and apartments, but nothing like as hemmed in as in the centre. It's a good distance away from the bar/club area, so noise shouldn't be too bad, though still busy in the season. There is a Roman tomb on the top your street. Your nearest beaches are a couple of small bays, with Sa Caleta the more attractive one, overlooked by a modern castle built by a local in imitation of Tossa.
Hope you have a fab vacation!
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Lesli - that was great. Yes, I agree about Google, it is my search engine as well and my home page too - but I obviously didn't do a good job in searching - I tried map quest and it could not be located. Interesting it is Carrer not Avinguda - I guess one is a street and the other is an Ave.
Kelder - We got a great deal on the apartment as it is a vacation home of a friends? friend and it was available. From what I have read I have planned to spend my days out of Lloret and I believe there are many wonderful spots (and Tossa is on my list) to see and the transportation is convenient too. Could you please let me know the name of the shoe store I would definitely like to go - and the Tuesday (?) market sounds interesting. The BullRing (sigh) I don't know if I have it in me to watch a fight - has anyone seen one? Is it very gruesome?
Alec - thanks. It sure is reassuring to know that we are not in the centre of all the din and noise - we were really fearing that. Hopefully the bays nearby would be quieter than the noisy beaches where the noisy teens hang out. Any suggestions of how we can reach the airport from Lloret for our 7:00 am departure to London ?
Thank you all...
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 06:17 PM

All beaches get busy, but those little bays a bit more sheltered and tend to attract quiet families rather than the groups of youth as on the main town beach.
As for your return flight, you will have to leave Lloret at the crack of dawn to make it for 7 am (6 am check-in at the latest) from BCN(?). Unless you want to drive a hired car, I would just book a taxi to take you. In 2001 the fixed price was something like 22,000 pts, so it would be around 150 euro now. Public transport doesn't start that early.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Alec - guess taxi is really our only option, unless we decide to spend the night in Barcelona - which may be a better idea. Thanks again for all the information you have been a great help..
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Meant to ask if anyone could suggest where we could watch Flamenco dancing in or around Lloret. Thanks
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 01:32 AM

While Catalunya isn't the natural home of Flamenco dancers, during my last stay the place I was staying hired a troupe of dancers (there are many travelling troups) who were quite good (no patch on what I saw in Madrid or Granada...) So if you keep your eyes peeled you will sure to see a poster about a performance perhaps at a hotel or a club. More local and interesting for me was a performance of Sardana by local people, young and old, after a festival in front of town hall.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 04:25 AM

Hi linda
the shoe store is called "Per tu" and is located at 57 sant pere, which is one of the main shopping streets.I'm not sure where you hail from but the shoes here are usually much more fabulous in design than anything I can buy at home.Some good deals can be had, but some of the designs are so different I didn't mind paying more for them.
Glad you are going to get out of Lloret to do some sightseeing. If you are a shopper take some time in Girona which has some great shops to browse as well as history taking you back forever.

You are correct about Lloret being convenient for public transportation. the bus station has departures to so many places you won't be starved for things to see. Some of the smaller places may be difficult to see without your own vehicle but if it's your first time there you can still see lots.
You can get to Tossa(and other places along the coast) on the boats that ply the waters here. But if you can take the drive along the coast between Tossa and St Feliu de Guixols you will have a fabulous view most of the way.
Some places we have enjoyed over the years include Montserrat,Girona,Banyuls,Olot,Besalu,Pals,Empurie s,Sant Marti,Cadaques,Port Lligat.....the list is endless.
Your request about flamenco and the answer you received I can concur with. Catalunya isn't where flamenco really exists, except for the tourists. However some of the hotels offer flamenco shows as does at least one place in Tossa de Mar. Do check out the Sardana which is usually held in a main square on sundays.

The bullfight is something I could never attend but my husband has several times. If you arent sure then it's probably not for you.

Enjoy your holiday.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. OK - I will look out for the Sardana's, which I thought were only in Barcelona, but if it is in Lloret it will be on my must see list. I will keep a look out for the Flamenco posters too.
Kelder thanks for the name of the shoe store - I know Spain is famous for their shoes. I am from Canada, and I am leaving my shoe shopping budget open ended...scarey thought. I believe there is a shopping factory outlet La Roca which is also good place to check out. Girona was on my list for sightseeing. I will check out the shopping too.
Am I too ambitious on planning several trips to Barcelona ? Or should I spend more time exploring the coast. Do they have internet cafes in Lloret ? Do we really need to carry our passports on us - I believe we need it for all visa transactions ? Would colour photocopies work ? I don't plan on carrying too much cash and was planning on using my ATM card, but was surprised to learn from my local bank that besides the ATM fee, they process each transaction by first converting CAD to US then to Euro...they sugessted I prepay my visa and make cash withdrawals...just thought I'd share this bit of information.
Is it easy to buy international phone cards for long distance calls or should I buy one before I leave ? Thanks again for all your help..
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 09:32 AM

Hi Linda:
Since I am a fellow Canadian I think I can answer some of your queries re banking etc. Your bank is giving you erroneous information. Your credit card and debit cards will NOT be exchanged from euro to US to CAD$. It goes directly from euro to Canadian $. this rumour has been circulating for so long the bank employees even believe it. I have travelled at least once a year to Europe over the past 20 years and this has never happened. Your ATM will be debited the amount you withdraw in euros directly in relation to the exchange of the euro against the Canadian that day. That's why it's great when we travel to Europe as our dollar is usually at a fairly decent rate.Using ATM;s may cost you something in a bank fee (usually $3 - $5.00 per transaction) but we found this to be much cheaper than the commissions we used to have to pay on cashing travellers cheques.
Make sure you have a pin number for your credit card if you want to withdraw cash on it.Your bank charges you on a daily basis for these withdrawals, not like they would if you just used your credit card for a purchase,so putting money on your card before you leave home is a good idea. Either call the bank it's attached to or go into your branch etc. to get a PIN number.
When you go to a bank machine or ATM in spain make sure one of the logos outside on the ATM sign matches the one on the back of your card. There are usually machines that can process currency requests from Cirrus or Plus or sometimes both. Make sure you take your time at first to verify what you are doing. Count your money there. Be careful about retrieving money from machines that are stuck in walls outside in busy streets. Try not to wave your money around. Be discreet. Before you leave home make sure you call your credit card company and inform them you will be travelling. This will alert them that you are out of the country and that purchases are probably yours if it's on their records.
One thing we always do before we leave home is make sure we have a 24 hour customer service number back here for our bank and or credit cards so if anything goes wrong you can call them immediately.(last year we had trouble retrieving money off our debit card in Tossa de mar, so we went back to our hotel and called the customer service line from our bank, they were able to tell us their computers had been down for just a few moments and after checking our account could assure us all was well with our accounts...it saved lots of worrying I can tell you!)
Re carrying your passport around, as I mentioned we have travelled extensively in Europe and I have been asked exactly once for my passport when attempting to shop with my credit card. I just told them I didn't have it on me and she didn't ask again just rang the sale through. So if you wish you can carry a photocopy but chances are slim you will be asked. This is my experience on this particular question.
Shopping at La rocca near Barcelona has always been on our list of things to do but it hasn't happened yet. We always find too much to do and the shopping in other places has always served me well so I haven't been too bothered about it.
Enjoy "per tu" in Lloret, I think you will find the shoes very different than what we normally can find here at home.If you like butter soft leather shoes for men and women check out the Pikolinos line. Lovely soft Spanish leather shoes we heard about from friends the first time we travelled to this area. My husband even found them in size 13!
A couple of trips into Barcelona would be "do-able" but exhausting maybe. There are so many other places both inland and along the coast that are interesting as well. But you can't do everything in one trip can you, so do what you can.
If you are into mountains and hiking etc let me know and I will tell you about one of our favourite places on earth. Up in the Pyrenees just about two hours from Lloret.
Re calling home. We just use the Canada Direct number valid for use while in Spain which gets you a Bell Canada operator and no need to worry about language problems etc. You can pick up these cards in the airport or from a travel agency. If you can't find them let me know and I'll find my card and give you the local number for Spain. We then use our calling card from our long distance supplier here at home to call family, banks etc. The rates are based on Canadian rates and are then just on your phone bill the next month. Easy and pretty painless we have found.
Lots of internet cafes etc all over, usually packed however. But if you find one in a bar just sit and enjoy a sangria (preferably a champagne sangria!!) and wait for one to come available......this is definitely painless!
have a great trip!
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 03:48 PM

Many shops ask to see your passport or another photo ID when using a credit or debit card. There are many internet shops (not many 'cafes') in Lloret. Usually they combine it with cheap international phone calls. Public libraries offer free or cheap access. Phone cards are widely available. Ome of the cheapest is Peoplecall card. Rate to Canada is around 18 eurocents a min. It's easy to get to Barcelona in an hour on non-stop coach from bus station. Schedule at www.sarfa.es.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks you so much for all the valuable information. I'll stop worrying about the cost of ATM transfers. I did feel it was odd for the bank to process the exchange to 2 currencies. I will definitely check out the Pikolinos. Any idea what I should budget for an average pair of shoes? 80 to 100 CAD?

Loved the suggestion of waiting at the internet cafes/bar and sipping champagne sangria!! Will definitely follow your instructions on that !

Thanks Alec for the Sarfa website -checked and printed out the timetable. It goes to Barcelona Centre and Barcelona Nord, which would be closer to the main downtown area eg Ramblas etc.? Do we need to take another bus or can we walk to the main areas from there ?
It seems we can only use Sarfa for the Lloret-BCN run.

Are there any websites for the buses which ply around Lloret ? Girona, Tossa etc. I guess I can get all the info at the Lloret bus station, which is a hub. Hopefully the transportation system is as easy to understand as the London underground. Thanks for all your answers.