Search

Family in Montmartre - Pigalle

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family in Montmartre - Pigalle

Hello,

I am considering renting an apartment in Paris for an upcoming vacation. I've found one that looks quite nice, but am unsure of the location. I don't have the exact address, but know that it is located on Blvd Clichy near the Pigalle Metro. It is described as Montmartre-Pigalle.

Does anyone have a sense of this location. Is this truly Montmartre or more out of the way. Is it noisy? Is it fairly easy to get to other parts of the city from here. I will be traveling with my 1 year old son, my mother and my aunt. I tend to be fairly adventurous, and comfortable in foreign cities and out of the way neighborhoods. However, having a 1-year old with me, along with my mom and aunt who have rarely ever traveled out of the country -- I am a bit more concerned about neighborhood.

Many thanks for quick replies -- I need to book this apartment quickly.

-Andrea
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 07:22 AM

I live nearby.Bd de Clichy is the boundary between the 9th and 18th arrondissements. On which side is this property?

This location is the very edge of Montmartre, and not what I would call Montmartre proper, as bd de Clichy actually runs along the foot of the Montmartre hill.

Apart from that, Bd de Clichy is a noisy, not that pleasant thouroughfare. The flat you are considering had better not be on the street side, or not have the bedroom facing the street.

Other posters will certainly be prompt to point out the row of "adult shops" further west.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Not sure which side of the street this is on... they won't give a specific address until I book the flat & pay the deposit, which I find frustrating. They talk about the bedrooms being on the back of the apartment, but now I'm a little bit concerned about noise... given I need to get a baby to sleep at night!

Thanks again for the feedback!
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 12:08 PM

The area is slightly seedy because of the sex shops to the west, but it is not dangerous. If you're not too close to the place Clichy (which is quite animated until late at night), you should be okay. If you're right on the street, it might be noisy.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 12:12 PM

I wouldn't ever consider that blvd itself Montmartre, but I never would want an apt. right on bd Clichy. It's a very major thoroughfare. I wouldn't mind the general area in some spots so much myself (I have a restaurant I like on place de Clichy, and the club Europeen on rue Biot which has some interesting live performances), but wouldn't recommend it in your case.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 12:43 PM

No way I'd choose that location. To begin with, IMO, unless you've been to Paris a few times before, Montmartre is too far out of the center to be an ideal base (and that address isn't really even Montmartre).
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 12:46 PM
ira

Hi Mom,

Excellent advice from St. Cirq.

Have you entered <Paris apartment> in the "search this forum" box?

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. It sounds like my concerns were well-founded, so I won't be renting this apartment.

In the meantime, I lucked into a wonderful place in the Marais. For future trips, I will definitely search this message board for apartment recommendations.

Many thanks for all the tips!