Live music in Dublin

Search

Live music in Dublin

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Live music in Dublin

Hi, hoping Siobhahn and Cailin can help. My husband and I will be in Dublin next week (Monday to Thursday) and were hoping for some recommendations on venues for live music - not the traditional kind. Tastes include rock and some pop - U2 (not expecting to see them, just to give an idea of taste), Cranberries, Big Country, Texas, Corrs etc. I know Monday to Thursday probably isn't the best time - Friday and Saturday is clearly the best - but I'm asking just in case. We just figure we might want a break from the traditional music - we are also touring Ireland with a hire car from May 6 to May 13.
Oh and we are staying in Ballsbridge and won't have the car during our Dublin stay.
Thanks very much.
Lisa.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 07:07 AM

Lisa, the most popular of Dublin's live rock music venues that come to mind are Whelans, the Village, Temple Bar Music Centre, the Vicar, the Point, the Ambassador and the Olympia, the latter two of which often host "bigger" national and international acts and often require advance tickets which I think you can get through Ticketmaster. There are various websites with music listings. You might try www.hotpress.com under "What's On" or www.dublinks.com. Dublin has a pretty healthy music scene, including a lot of local bands, so there's something on almost all the time.

Hope that helps.

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much Indygirl2, that's going to be a great help.
Lisa.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 12:41 AM

Even if Whelans does not have a band its the only place that would still play "rock" Indy music piped into the bar. I like the place. The Village tends to have more weekend stuff but each night is diffrent and check the websites Indygirl2 mentioned. Temple Bar Music Centre has varius stuff but is busy mostly weekends....its more Harder rock acts i.e. a friend of a friend last week promotes metal bands and there was a Norwegian Metal band playing ...too hard core for me!

Check out these events on Hotpress for the dates you are here:

http://www.hotpress.com/whatson/?t=&...mp;q=&np=2

If you are into Blues JJ Smyths on Georges street is good. Also more up and coming bands are in the Voodoo Lounge. It's owned by the fun Lovin Criminals and they have a little pizza place in the entrance with NY style Pizza (or as near as you get in Dublin) It's a dive but can be fun depending on the night. Also Eamon Dorans has live bands on some nights...have not been there for years. I think whelans is a good spot for you!

Let us know where you went when you return!
S
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Siobhan. We can't wait. We started planning two years ago and thought we'd never get to this point. Will give a full report when we get back. Thanks for all your help. It's been much appreciated and made everything so much easier.
Lisa.