Dublin Pubs with Irish music

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaving Sunday for 2 weeks in Ireland with 2 friends..spending some time in Dublin then up to Co. Roscommon to visit my mom who lives there.
As this is my 9th trip I've been to Dublin several times but its usually rushed....its been years since I got to spend any quality time there so I am looking forward to that.
We are staying in Kilronan House.

I am fine-tuning our days there....I love Irish music..grew up with it as both my parents are/were from Ireland. So, I would love to hear suggestions for a pub with good music that is not too "touristy"...I don't want "Irish Eyes" type stuff....but, with a fun atmosphere....I'm thinking of Oliver St. John's but since I've never been I am not sure....any suggestions? And, if Oliver St. John's why? Or why you would recommend another place?
I've seen posts where folks say "go to this pub or that" but they don't give specifics too often....
My specifics: 3 ladies (40's/early 50's...young!! and we look younger!)
Wanting a lively and fun evening-Irish music!
Thanks for taking the time if you can!!

With tons of things to do before she leaves,
Shadow
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 11:37 AM

I used Google and drew the following useful links. If you walk to the City of Dublin tourist office in a converted church near Trinity College you can find much advice, and, I think, a map.
Home of the best traditional Irish music pubs and bars on the web ...
Home of the best traditional Irish music pubs and bars on the web. ... Irish Music Bar of the Month The Temple Bar 48 Temple Bar, Dublin 2 Tel: 01 672 5287 ...www.irishmusicbars.com/ - 20k - Cached - Similar pages
Dublin Pubs
Musical Pub Crawl A great way to experience the Dublin pub scene and the rich heritage of Irish music is to venture on the Musical Pub Crawl. ...www.dublinks.com/index.cfm/loc/11/pt/11.htm - 70k - 12 Oct 2005 - Cached - Similar pages
Traditional pubs in Dublin
Find traditional Irish bars in Dublin using our interactive map of Dublin. ... Select a section ... Music Bars, Modern Bars, Traditional Irish Pubs ...www.dublinks.com/index.cfm/loc/11-1/pt/11.htm - 70k - Cached - Similar pages[ More results from www.dublinks.com ]
Dublin Bars - Clubs, Cafes, Pubs & Nightclubs in Dublin, Ireland
The great thing about pubs in Dublin in comparison to Irish pubs abroad and is ... Live Irish music and dancing further sparks up the vibrant atmosphere. ...www.eventsoftheweek.com/dublin-bars/ - 24k - Cached - Similar pages
Find it Ireland.com. Irish Sites Listings - Pubs And Clubs
Meighan's Pub Traditional Irish Pub with great pub fare, and Irish music on ... Whelan’s of Wexford St. Dublin's Premier Live Music Venue Welcome to ...www.finditireland.com/links/pubsandclubs.html - 39k - Cached - Similar pages

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ben! I will be checking these out!
Shadow
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 09:07 AM

Powerscourt in the Temple Bar area is a possible.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 11:45 AM

Please, please post when you get back - I'mm off to Dublin in december, and I'd really like to know the best places to go...

Have a great trip.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

julia t-I sure will...

Really looking forward to Dublin this trip...and, maybe a day in Belfast via the train....
Shadow
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 12:18 PM

Yes! I love Irish music, and I'm older than you gals. I remember enjoying Temple Bar and St. John's Gogarty among others in Dublin. You're right, in that there is another kind of so-called Irish music such as When Irish Eyes Are Smiling, Danny Boy, etc. I'm inclined to think it originated among Irish Americans. Does anyone know?
ozarksbill
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 06:19 AM

Try Temple bar, but if you want real Irish Trad Music, you have to travel to a pub in the Dublin Mountains called Jonnie Foxes, best music in Dublin!!
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 07:10 AM

OzarksBill:

When Irish Eyes are Smiling is definitely not an Irish traditional tune. The lyrics to When Irish Eyes Are Smiling were written by Chauncey Olcott and George Graff and the tune was written by Ernest Ball. This was done for Chauncey's Broadway musical production "Isle O' Dreams". He also wrote "My Wild Irish Rose" as part of a musical production (equally cheesey). Chauncey was born in Buffalo and was a stage actor and producer. There are way too many dominant 7 chords and, egad, secondary dominant 7 chords, to look, sound and feel at all Irish.

The history of Danny Boy is much more complicated. For a reasonable summary on it, follow this link: http://www.standingstones.com/dannyboy.html

Bill