Search

Live from Hvar, Croatia.....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2003, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Live from Hvar, Croatia.....

HELLLOOOOO.....

Got in this afternoon - Hvar at night puts any Cinque terre town to shame. However my hotel is a sub-motel 6 (Palace Hotel). I will probably be trying a B&B Coatian style room f0r the rest of the week - could be interesting. Weather is to be a mixed bag - we will see. Read an interesting story about a stone mason school on Bol ( who provided the stones for the White House) amd wamt to see if I can visit.

talk soon......
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 01:14 PM

Mark, Glad to hear from you! I am anxious to hear the rest of your story.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 01:34 PM

Mark, glad to hear you are enjoying it! If you go to Starigrad, go find Inge's place (she owns a restaurant and a bar which is only open for summer). Ask anyone in town, they will know who she is. Tell her Mina the Korean girl with the toothpick trick sends you. I was traveling with an Aussie boy at the time, and she treated us both so well.

Old Sep 6th, 2003, 01:39 PM

Hi Mark!

LOL....you wouldn't happen to be one of those 'addicted' Fodorites referred to in other threads, would you? Seriously, though, have an awesome time on your trip!
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 04:53 AM
jmw

Someone just mentioned Hvar and ladies in black at another thread; was that you? I look forward to reading more, especially after your comparison to the ubiquitous CT.
J. (Hi, Grasshopper)

Old Sep 7th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Just spent the afternoon at the fortress above Hvar watching the sunlight dance across the water as clouds passed before the sun. The view is wonderful - the ferrys coming and going, the islands in the distance, the tannish white stone caly rrofed houses. Walking back down the numerous steps and turns I stumbled upon a small church (front door locked) with nuns singing afternoon prayers - never saw their faces, only their habits - their plaintive (?) sweet voices hanging in the air. Going to catch sunset and a swim....be well

BrimhamRocks - I was just checking email and had a few minutes left, I am not a fodors addict (yea right)....
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 09:04 AM
RAR

Toothpick trick? Haha.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 09:06 AM

LOL Mark
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Just got in from mopeding around the island - what a blast. Went to Stari Grad via a mountanous circuitous road with wonderful belvederes of sea and neighboring islands. Stari Grad is wonderfully quiet and peaceful compared to Hvar. HAd a mouth watering spaghetti and lobster dish and fried girice (little fish)
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

(hit the reply button)

and dalmation ham. Zipping around the island on a scooter is so much fun.

Yesterday took a boat taxi to Palmizana. I was lulled asleep on the rocks by the surging sea - later it lightly rained but the taxi arrived 5 minutes early. Had dinner at an incredible artisnal produce restaurant -Sauver is going to have an article about it in the next few months.

Renting a bike again tomorrow and going to Jelsa.

talk soon.....
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Went to Bol and the Golden Horn yesterday - off to Kizma and their Blue Grotto this morning.

bye...
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 11:09 PM

Sounds like you're having a great time, Mark!
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 09:54 AM

You're not letting any grass grow under your feet! Have you bought an island yet? Keep on keeping on!
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 09:57 AM

It's nice to hear how hvar you've gotten
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 10:45 AM

Mark, Thanks for posting. I can't wait to read your trip report. I am working my itineray for next June now and am anxious to have you look it over when you get back. Keep the notes coming. I love the live Reports!
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Even though the weather was nothing short of phenominal today - the blue and green grotto tours were postponed till tomorrow. I opted for renting a moped and exploring the south side of the island. Getting out and about ealier provides incredible sun sparkle on the water. I explored the south side of the iland which is accesible through a very long narrow dark rocky jagges cold tunnel - I was un-nerved but Zatlava was spectacular. I saw the fish I had for lunch brought in by a fisherman. Hopefully tomoorw .I will get to se the blue and green grotto.

Bye..
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 07:47 PM

Looking forward to your next post! Thanks for keeping in touch!!!
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 06:48 AM

Loved hearing about this. Just got back from Croatia myself and hope to have a stop in Hvar the next time I go over. Enjoy the rest of your trip and fill us in when you get home.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 08:24 PM

Mark, please keep writing! I'm flying to Prague on Monday to start 30 days of roaming and plan to spend a week in Croatia. I'm dying to know:
how your croatian B&B experience has been. any tips on sobes?
also...you said how wonderful your artisanal produce restaurant was...but then didn't name it! are you trying to keep a secret? isn't that against the Fodor spirit? ;- )
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Happy4 - I'll be posting a trip report this weekend - I've been busy with work and still falling asleep around 9 pm EST.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -