Lisbon to Faro - enough time?

Jan 4th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Lisbon to Faro - enough time?

I will be arriving in Lisbon 8:20 AM Continental Airlines from Newark. There is a TAP flight at 9:45 AM to Faro I would like to take - the next one is 3:55PM. Is this possible? We don't check bags and if the terminals are near each other it might be possible. Would hate to wait until 3:55 for the next flight.

I can't find any other airlines that fly this route.
Thanks
Jan 4th, 2011, 10:39 AM

The TAP flight to Faro departs from the same terminal you will arrive in. I think you will have to get through immigration in Lisbon which has taken me as long as 1 1/2 hours in the past but lately that has not been the case, maybe 20 minutes. Hopefully weather will not delay your departure from Algarve.

An alternative would be to take a bus down from Lisbon. Now with the toll road down the trip is not so bad. Departures are from the Gare Orient, a short taxi ride from the airport and there are some departures around 11 AM.. unless that has changed.

What time of year are you traveling and what are you plans for the Algarve? I have a second home there and have been going since 1986. If you need any help with plans I may be able to offer some suggestions.
Jan 4th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

We are travelling early April and will be staying in Tavira for three nights, then on to Evora for three nights and Lisbon 2 nights. I'd rather not take a bus or train. At this point I'm looking into a different itinerary. Flying into Madeira for a few days instead and then flying directly into Lisbon and spending time there as well as Sintra. I don't know much about Madeira however, just started to do some research. Any opinion on Madeira?
Jan 5th, 2011, 07:45 AM

We have never gone to Madeira but our Portuguese friends just love it. The island is supposed to be gorgeous. There are very cheap flights from Lisbon to Funchal (the capital of Madeira) on Easy Jet. I am not sure that there are any direct flights from the US so you may have to land in Lisbon first.

If you are only going to spend about 5 nights you may be trying to do too much to add Madeira considering the flying, time in, waiting and going to or leaving airports. How many nights do you have for this trip?

Your plan as you wrote was to spend time in Tavira and work you way back to Lisbon by way of Evora. If catching the flight to Faro is "iffy" have you considered staying in Lisbon on arrival then going down to the Algarve? Then the time for the flight should not be a problem. Also sounds like you would need a car for the plan you had if you do not want to do train or bus. A one way rental is very pricey. As the drive by car (bus always slower) between Lisbon and Faro is only a little over 2 hours on the toll road that might be your best bet for efficiency of time and ease of getting to places you mentioned. Driving in Portugal is very easy if you just keep your distance from the drivers that seem to be Mario Andretti "wannabes".
Jan 6th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much Carol. We actually have 10 days (9 nights) - my original plan was 4 nights Tavira, 3 night Evora and 2 nights Lisbon. From the very start I wasn't happy with this itinerary - I think because I was looking for something less hectic and the schedule had a lot of driving. After doing some research on Madeira I'm very excited. Four nights there, we will rent a car for two days to explore the island and then fly to Lisbon where we will spend 2 nights in Sintra and three nights in lisbon. or maybe five nights in lisbon - sounds a bit much- with day trips.

I thought of staying in lisbon first but really like the idea of going to a 'resort' first after the long flight. I am disappointed that we will be missing Evora but don't have any regret about the Algarve. Maybe because of some negative press regarding it being overbuilt and touristy. Or maybe because i think of it as a summer/early fall type of area.
Jan 6th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Also is there an easy way to do a day trip from Sintra to Cascais?
Jan 6th, 2011, 04:09 PM

Hi SashieZ,

There are trains out of Lisbon to Estoril and Cascais but not sure about getting there from Sintra. There have been some very helpful trips reports on Lisbon and the outskirts. Do realise that there are lots of places only about an hour drive or so from Lisbon but driving in the city and dealing with keeping a car not easy so trains or busses may be best if based in Lisbon a while.
Jan 13th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

After doing some research I don't believe the Faro or Madeira flights leave from the same terminal. Terminal 1 is Continental airlines and domestic flights for Tap leave from terminal 2.
Jan 13th, 2011, 11:57 AM

It's couple of minutes by free shuttle from T1 to T2 in Lisbon airport. Shuttle parks near car rental garage.

Very good big Mercedes Eva buses go from Sete Rios bus terminal to lots of places in Algarve (including Tavira). From the airport Sete Rios can be reached by #96 aeroshuttle or taxi. For schedules see http://www.rede-expressos.pt RENEX buses go from Oriente. I like bigger Eva buses more.

Last year we stayed in Novotel Lisboa near Sete Rios & went to Algarve from there. Hotel location is good for both Lisbon sightseeing & out of town day trips (Sintra, Evora, etc). Metro & Sete Rios bus & train terminals are walking distance.