Reload this Page >

Lisbon or Marseille?

Search

Lisbon or Marseille?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 07:51 AM
Debbie

Lisbon or Marseille?

Okay,everyone! Any thoughts on a last minute trip for two adults and two teenagers to either Lisbon,Portugal or fly into Marseille,France and do Avignon,etc. We would be leaving next week so any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Debbie <BR>We enjoy history,FOOD,local culture,etc.

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 09:06 AM
John

Hi, Debbie, <BR>France. <BR>More variety, easier driving, Mediterranean not Atlantic, better food (IMO), Roman stuff, medieval stuff, horses and bulls in the Camargue, gawk at St. Tropez (if you like), drop a few centimes in Monte Carlo, Pont du Gard, Palais des Papes, Aigues Mortes, plum or maybe orange blossoms... <BR>Portugal's great but we're talking Provence here.

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 09:55 AM
Jeanie

I can't speak for the Marseille area (although I have heard nothing good about the city itself), I absolutely loved Lisbon. I would go back in a heartbeat. Unlike most other places I have traveled in Europe, I didn't feel like Lisbon was too touristy by any means. I thought it was breathtakingly beautiful with tons of history and culture. There were great day trips, such as to Sintra (do a search, people on this message board love it) and the beach towns of Cascais and Estoril.

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 06:05 PM
Betty Ann

Lisbon! Lisbon! Lisbon! For all the reasons stated above plus much more. As for driving, you don't need a car in Lisbon and if you want to visit the smaller towns/countryside driving in Portugal is not difficult at all. The thing I enjoy most about Portugal is the lack of tourists.

Old Mar 15th, 2000, 03:16 AM
giorgio

Marseille. I don't know Lisbon and think will be a wonderful city. But Marseille is quite unique: mediterranean, has a charm difficult to say , hard, not pleasant but fascinating, most like Naples, Istanbul that charm which comes not from beauty but from the intense eyes of the people yuo find there

Old Mar 15th, 2000, 06:14 AM
Debbie

Thanks for the help! It seems that my husband feels that Marseille is not very <BR>safe and is dirty.Any thoughts? (We have done Nice and east to Menton.)Lisbon is starting to intrigue me although it seems very few people go there if you ask a group of travelers.I have to make a decision soon and the stress is getting to me for all the responsibility of planning it so fast. HELP!!!!Debbie Any other areas?

Old Mar 15th, 2000, 06:33 AM
John

Hi again, <BR>To clarify my earlier comments, I'd pass on Marseille the city, which has some interesting parts but which ultimately turns out to be a big port city with traffic, pollution, and only limited touristic attractions. I assumed you were thinking about flying into the airport and then hitting the road, in which case my earlier comments hold. <BR>Lisbon is fine, don't misunderstand. But I was going on your stated preferences and in the areas of history, interesting local culture, satisfying sights and experiences for teenagers, and especially food, I have to give the nod to Provence. This is not to say anything at all negative about Lisbon or possible Cascais/Sintra outings , which are great. <BR> <BR>If the choice is Lisbon city versus Marseille city, then Lisbon. If the choice is between Lisbon + Atlantic coast (remember it's still March) versus Provence + Cote d'Azur, well... <BR> <BR>If you're still fishing, Barcelona has to stay in the race IMO, big time. <BR>

Old Mar 15th, 2000, 07:35 AM
Ross

Have never been to Lisbon, though would love to go. I have been to Marseille twice. Marseille reminds me of what Miami USED to be like, before the gentrification of South Beach, with a strong North African influence, vs. the Cuban one found in Miami. It's true, it's about the people. Les Marseillais are an interesting lot, and there's something infectious about this city, albeit a GOOD thing. You can visit Les Calanques, Aix-en-Provence, and the Camargue quite easily from Marseille. This is the type of city one thinks of when reading a flashback novel of yesteryear. Part of &lt;&lt;La Vraie France&gt;&gt;. <BR>Let me know if you have any questions.