Lisbon or Barcelona for Third City - Please Help Me Decide

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a 2-week trip to Spain at the end of May. I know I want to go to Madrid and Seville, and I was thinking of either Lisbon or Barcelona as a third city. I tend to like mostly urban vacations, with possibly some day trips to get out into the country. I enjoy interesting architecture (no particular period) and about 1-2 hours/day of museums and galleries. I also like a good walking city. Not particularly into bars or clubs. I'm in my late twenties and will be travelling alone. I will be using public transportation to get around.<BR><BR>I'm somewhat sensitive to cold weather, but according to weather.com, historical data seem to be comparable.<BR><BR>Any words of wisdom?
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 06:55 PM

In your 20s--you will like Barcelona !
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 07:23 PM

Barcelona has all you are looking for and more!
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 07:31 PM

I agree with the others, especially going solo. Although the architecture in Lisbon is fascinating and unique, you haven't seen unique and interesting until you've experience Gaudi architecture! Barcelona is a wonderful walking town, and the Picasso art museum is small so you can spend a few hours without getting that worn out feeling.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 08:26 AM

My experience ranks those cities as follows, by decreasing order of interest: Barcelona - Lisbon - Sevilla - Madrid. With a very wide gap separating apart Barcelona/Lisbon from the others. I think of Madrid as an unattractive city with some great museums, unbearably hot in summer. I would say Lisbon is kind of a miniature Barcelona, their landscapes are rather similar, but anyway they are not the same. Barcelona and Libon offer touristic passes, allowing you unlimited urban transportation + special touristic transportation &amp; promenades + low-cost entrance fee (or free entrance) into museums etc. Both are very good walking cities. I would advantageously trade Sevilla for Granada, a wonderful heritage of the glorious days of the muslim empire in Spain. After visiting Barcelona, you will have already seen almost the same type of attractions Sevilla has to offer.<BR>
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 04:07 AM

both cities are great cities, and both are very good for the nightlife<BR>anyway if you need help<BR><BR>www.hotelsportugal.com<BR>for cars please check:<BR>www.portugal-spain.com<BR>www.drive-portugal.com<BR>www.travelers-portugal.com
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 03:11 PM

I'm 60ish but agree with those aabove. I'd nix Madrid (unless you're really into museums) and hit Barcelona and Lisbon with side trips to Granada (I think it's wonders appeal to any age). Maybe Salamanca... it's a university town.