Reload this Page >

Lisbon on Sunday and Monday....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Neek

We are landing in Lisbon on Sunday April 20. We planned on spending the first three or four days of our holidays in Lisbon and then to pick up a car and heading north toward Obidos and Nazare and then on to Porto. But unfortunately Sunday and Monday seem like bad days to be in Lisbon. Any suggestions of what we would do on a Sunday and Monday in Lisbon or do you think we should just pack up and head north? We will have flown all night and so we wouldn't want to drive too far. Any great suggestions of sites to see or any great hotels not too far the airport would be appreciated.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Amy

If the hop-on, hop-off bus is running, take the city tour and be sure to get off at Jeronimos Monastery; I would guess that it would be open on Sunday, maybe for services. There's also a pedestrian walkway off the main square, or boat rides along the river. Any of these should be relaxing yet fulfilling; it would be a pity to miss Lisbon!

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 11:14 PM
ron

Neek,<BR>Lisbon is fun walking around to just take in the atmosphere, so I don't think you need to rush off to other parts of Portugal so soon. You can take in a great view from the Castle Sao Jorges. Also, go up the elevator de Santa Justa. (I recommend you go at sunset and have a port wine while enjoying the view.) You can ride Tram #28 through the winding streets to visit many sites along the way. You can ride the fenicular up and then walk down to have a coffee at the Brazileira next to the Baixa-Chiado metro station and people watch. Plus one day you can take a train and visit the World Heritage city of Sintra--45minutes away. It is a must for any visitor to Portugal. You can also go to Belem to see the tower.<BR>I am sure you'll be able to find a variety of things to see/do, as Lisbon and its surroundings are very picturesque and charming.<BR>Finally, if SUN and Monday are bad in Lisbon, they are probably bad everywhere else too.<BR><BR>Ron<BR>

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 03:03 AM
Antonio

Sunday: Go to S&eacute; Catedral and walk towards Castelo de S&atilde;o Jorge, then go down to Rossio and go to Rua das Portas de Santo Ant&atilde;o to Gambrinus Restaurant for lunch ( expensive but the best in Lisbon).<BR>After that, take the subway and go to Colombo ( Europe biggest shopping center) or to Expo to the Oceanarium area ( Europe biggest aquarium)...<BR>For Dinner try Bica do Sapato close do Santa Apol&oacute;nia Station...<BR>Monday: Breakfast in Martinho da Arcada close to Terreiro do Pa&ccedil;o ( ask for Pastel de Nata)...<BR>Lunch: Papa A&ccedil;orda in Bairro Alto..After get a taxi and go to Funda&ccedil;&atilde;o Calouste Gulbenkian for the best art museums ( modern and not so modern)...<BR>Dinner:Casa da Comida...<BR>You'll more time, maybe six months...<BR>Have fun

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 08:07 PM
Neek

Thanks for all your suggestions. I feel much better about Sunday & Monday in Lisbon. I really had my heart set on starting there. Always seems better to me to start in the city and end the trip somewhere else. Lisbon sounds wonderful. I'm looking forward to it very much.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:01 PM
Livinginlondon

We have just returned from Lisbon over the Easter weekend. Most museums and attractions are closed on Mondays in Lisbon, but places in Sintra are open on Monday, except for the Pena Palace itself, although the gardens are open. I would advise Lisbon on Sunday and Sintra on Monday.<BR><BR>Be prepared - Lisbon is architecturally interesting, but is very impoverished. There are many abandoned old buildings and the city is not well kept. The cleanest area that we went to was the Parc of Nations and it was the most modern. Sintra is a charming town, but the Pena Palace is in serious need of refurbishment and was the biggest disappointment. It does not look like the postcards any longer.<BR><BR>Overall, our trip to Lisbon was interesting, but I think there are other places in Europe that I would prefer to visit instead. Being Americans who are living in London at the moment, Portugal is an easy trip. However, if you are coming from the States, go to London, Paris or Italy instead.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:41 AM
visitor

Sorry to disagree with the previous pister, but Lisbon is absolutely magnificent, it exactly the "old feeling" that makes it's charm! Walk the streets, breathe the air, enjoy the wonderful architecture, and the magic will come to you!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:14 AM
GGinSF

I understand LivinginLondon's statement "Be prepared - Lisbon is architecturally interesting, but is very impoverished", although I think impoverished may be too strong a word. Compared to the towns I visited in Spain, I found parts of Lisbon dirty (graffiti, more run-down buildings) and less well-kept. However, I many plazas were closed for improvements (I was there mid-2000) and it looked like the city was cleaning up a bit (without loosing it's charm, I'm sure). The #28 tram ride is a great way to get an overview of the town. On Monday evening if you're in Lisbon you can taste port at the Port Wine Institute (at the top of the Elevador da Gl&oacute;ria funucular).<BR><BR>Do go to Obidos but try hard to stay the evening if possible. It's a cute tiny town with lots of day trippers, but at night it became magical. The Parador (at the castle) is great but was out of my price range. However, there are many small B&B-type places that were inexpensive and comfortable. Great restaurants. Overlooking the lit castle from the ancient walls in the evening is a fond memory for me.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:27 AM
Gigi

Neek, I love Portugal. It's one of my favorite countries in Europe. I would kindly disagree with the poster who said to skip it. Lisbon has an old world feel much like Prague, imho. I loved it and enjoyed walking the streets and riding the trams everywhere! Do not miss the Tile museum. It really gives you great background of this artform that is rather particular to Portugal. You will see entire facades of buildings covered in tiles. As you walk down the streets you will see scores of buildings in a variety of colors and designs in tiles. It is colorful and beautiful. <BR>You may find the city to be rather quiet on Sunday morning. I spent 10 days in Lisbon and loved that early morning stroll. <BR>I found the Pena Palace in Sintra to be enchanting. It surprises me that someone would say that it was not worth seeing. It is a palace with a lot of Moorish influence in it's design and furnishings. It was a very cloudy day when I was there. It truly was engulfed in clouds and very mystical.<BR>I love Portugal, every foot of it and every minute in my three weeks there.<BR>Happy traveling!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:03 AM
Handmaiden of Fodor

Lisboa is one of my favorite cities also and couldn't disagree more with the troglodite who posted above. Maybe he is upset that Sintra and Pena Palace don't look like Disney World and Cinderella's Castle? Maybe this American can bring a scrub brush and some soap with him and he can clean 400 years off of the 17th-century buildings in downtown Lisboa?

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:18 AM
Gigi

I was rereading the post about the Pena Palace not looking like the pictures. Is it possible that you saw the Castelo dos Mouros in the city center of Sintra?<BR>I thought the Pena Palace looked exactly like the pictures I have seen in the books. I toured the castle in the city center, too. A tour guide can make it quite entertaining. <BR>Look into a bus or taxi to the Pena Palace. It is quite a walk. I gave a lift to some unfortunate people who had to walk down in the rain. It was a distance. <BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:31 AM
ilene

I was in Portugal in August 2000 and absolutely loved it. Sintra was wonderful and the Pena Palace was great and lots of fun. The other castle in Sintra (the very old palace) is great and it is fun to go to the old one first and then the Pena palace. <BR>I agree with the other posters about going to Belem to see the st. Jerome monastery and the park of nations. Also an interesting maritime museum there.<BR>We also went to obidos and stayed over there. If you can't sleep at the Parador (it was booked, we couldn't), try to eat dinner there. I really enjoyed that. Coimbra is a great medieval university city between Porto and Lisbon and worth a visit if you have time. I also really enjoyed Porto and am sure you will too. <BR>As for the pro/con Portugal debate, I would like to add two cents. I think all the posters are correct in saying that Portugal is poorer than many other European cities and although the people are very friendly, perhaps the cities themselves are less tourist friendly as a result of Portugal being a poorer country - not all the historic buildings are renovated or open, worse public transport, etc. However, if you don't expecting London or Paris, you won't be disappointed. Portugal is very charming and interesting and after going there, even for a week, you feel like you have experienced the country, not just the tourist sites. The people are some of the nicest I've met in Europe, the culture is very interesting and the food is great.<BR>Here's another tip. I speak french and italian and figured I'd be able to understand some Portugese. Forget it. IT sounds completely different from any other romance language and the words are not pronounced the way you would expect. Bring along a phrasebook (I recommend the Berlitz mini book, that fits in your pocket). It was invaluable in deciphering the menu as it has a dictionary of dishes and a whole food section.<BR>Have fun!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:30 AM
lizbeth

Have to comment that the slightly worn and funky aura of Lisbon was one of its charms for me. Sort of a tattered grandeur thing, I guess. Something you could do any day of the week is to take a ferry across the harbor - it would give you a view of Lisboa from the water, one of its prettiest "looks".

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 05:45 AM
pedro

<BR>Hello<BR><BR>I call your attention to the above link.<BR><BR>http://www.geocities.com/tomstravel.geo/travel0203.htm<BR><BR>Many of the references in the above posts may be found in the webpage (seen by the eyes of an American).<BR><BR>