YES TO PARIS & LOVE! NO TO JAIL TIME!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2013, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, and thank you in advance. I've been doing a lot of research but haven't found a situation quite like mine.

Ok! It all started in Cuba, February 14th 2013 at the bar by the pool (lol) when I met my now beau. I'm Canadian and he is French. After Cuba we decided I would visit him in France for 2 weeks (April 1st- 15th) to see where "we" were headed. I went back to Canada and came back to France on June 7th and I haven't left yet! I have no Visa, just a Passport. the plan was for me to stay the 90 limit, but then he was hospitalized and I didn't really care about the limit. Now that he is better, I'm worried about my situation. Is it worth explaining the situation to my embassy or should I just take the penalty? What are the penalties? Am I in trouble?
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 04:39 AM

Your embassy won't be able to help. They have no powers over your host country's immigration system. And the latter won't care why you overstayed by over two months either.

If you don't get caught until you leave, you probably won't get a prison sentence, but you may have to pay a fine; you may miss your flight due to questioning and have to buy another (more expensive) one at the last minute; and most significantly you maybe banned from re-entering the Schengen zone (and you may have trouble entering some other countries who see your immigration history). Which in turn means if you intend to further your romance in future, your SO will need to visit you in Canada at least in the short term. I don't know if it would affect your being granted a spousal visa in due course if that was the longterm plan.
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 04:59 AM

Oh dear, leah_love_146. I have no advice for you but please keep everyone informed about your situation. It could be most helpful to others.

Lucky in love?
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 05:20 AM

You need to get out of France NOW - before the situation is any worse.

You may NOT be caught - but may well be. If you are on the point of leaving they won;t put you in jail - since they want you gone. There will probably be a fine (can be thousands of euros), you may have to buy a new plane ticket (if yours has already left - but will have to stay in the airport until you get a new flight) and you will be banned from France and Schengen - perhaps for several years - but perhaps permanently.

Yo
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 05:43 AM

If you and the boyfriend are young and attractive, you could go hand in hand to the local police station. Turn yourself in, sob and talk brokenly about l'amour and about poor boyfriend tossing on bed of pain. "How could I leave him?" You might get away with it ;-)
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 06:25 AM

I don;t think the local police have the authority to deal with Immigration matters.

And the first thing the OP is going to have to do is LEAVE France.
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 06:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is not the place to get accurate information on this. I hear they have lawyers in France. Maybe you should find one.
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 07:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You need to return to Canada for a start. There is a good chance that your passport will not be scanned on the way out, but if it is, get your answers ready for the questions that are sure to follow.

If you have plans to marry or enter a 'PACS' you have to initiate a long term visa request in your home country anyway. You cannot regularize your situation while still in France unless you are applying for refugee status or political asylum and Canadian citizens do not really qualify for this.
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 09:42 AM

They don't have "spousal" visas for France any more (think it was fiance visa), or for someone intending to marry a French citizen.
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 04:07 PM

What would happen if she were to drive to Switzerland or other non Schengen country and then fly to Canada from there?
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 04:22 PM

Or take the train? If you can get back to England, Canada is part of the Commonwealth…
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 05:08 PM

To take the train from Paris to London she would have to show her passport - so that might not help. And I believe is allowed 6 months in England - so not illegal there. The issue is getting out of France.
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 05:25 PM

When we left Paris last month by Eurostar to London, the border patrol was very careful about asking how long we had been traveling through Europe and examining our passport stamps.
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 07:15 PM

One thing you have to consider is that if you have overstayed your vista in France, obtaining a long term residence visa will become a bit of a problem.

To those unfamiliar with the process, passports are always scanned or checked at passport control, either entering or leaving the country. The process is much more relaxed in Spain when arriving with a USA or Canadian passport, but still an issue when leaving the country. You cannot board your flight without going through passport control.
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 09:26 PM

"What would happen if she were to drive to Switzerland or other non Schengen country"

Switzerland is a Schengen country.
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 09:40 PM

Nothing to contribute, except to hope all turns out well. Will follow this thread in hope of hearing good news.
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 01:04 AM

This sounds suspiciously like a question asked here with slightly different details a week or so ago.
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 04:30 AM

these type of posts probably should be ignored. There is no one on this forum or any other that can give some one with who knows what background advice on immigration issues. Nice that you met in Cuba but this is a travel forum not legal forum
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 07:17 AM

There is no border (or port or airport) between Schengen and non-Schengen at which the passports of those leaving Schengen will not normally be checked.

It's also simply untrue that "There is no one on this forum or any other that can give some one with who knows what background advice on immigration issues."

You're getting lots of the same advice ("get out now while you can") for free. You'll get nothing else from lawyers - except a thumping bill.
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 06:15 AM

I don't blame someone for trying to get some free info before investing in a lawyer, and there are lots of people on Fodors with varying expertise and experience, actually. I am often amazed at the great variety of professions and knowledge on here.

I do remember when I took the train from Germany to POland, my passport was checked by the border police, so I believe flanneruk. There is a reason for that (that they check passports at borders).

And I also think this post was just like one a couple weeks ago, must be the same person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -