Search

lisbon & porto hotels

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lisbon & porto hotels

hi,
we're trying to find hotels under 100 euros for lisbon and porto. Also, any restaurant recs much appreciated.
thanks,
gail
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 07:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
ttt
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 01:39 AM

In Lisbon I stay at Residenciál Estrela do Saldanha. Avda. da Republica, 17 (Metro: Saldanha. Duque de Avila exit). Carlos Ferreira, co-owber / manager, has a website. I have also stayed at H Cinco d'Outubre, a few blocks away.
There are a couple of inexpensive restaurants on Duque de Avila between the two.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 04:16 PM

Hello,

Repost the question in this thread - Things to do in and around Lisbon

http://fodors.com/forums/pgMessages....hText=portugal

There has been lots of talk re hotels and there are some very knowledgable people there, moreso than I. (Although I live in Lisbon haven't stayed in any hotels)

Matt
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 11:17 PM

Four years ago we stayed at Pensao Lar.Do.Areeiro in Lisbon, and the Holiday Inn Garden Court in Porto. The Pensao was midway between the airport and the CBD and very close to a metro station. It was small, modern, clean and friendly. The Holiday Inn was larger of course, but not too large and was also clean, modern and friendly, as well as being more centrally situated. It was 60 euros a night, and the Pensao was rather cheaper. We were completely satisfied with both.

We found the restaurants in the main tourist area of Lisbon overpriced, and subsequently ate closer to the Pensao.
We had a very nice meal in first class on the excellent train between the two cities. Also, an excellent buffet at the Modern Art Gallery in Porto, on Sunday, but rather soured by my camera being stolen by one of the many attentive waiters - I think we were being watched because we were the only foreigners eating in an otherwise packed restaurant. [My camera was well disguised inside a nylon 'string' bag on my chair under the table, when I went up to the buffet. I couldn't manage it on my shoulder while balancing food on plate etc.] You live and learn!
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 01:38 AM

I like the la Portugalia Brewery restaurants in Lisbon. Last I knew there were three: the original on Almirante Reis the newest in the Colombo shopping mall and my favorite on the Quay several hundred metres west of the Caís do Sodré ferry terminal (great views). If you walk there from the Metro, Rail or Ferry station walk on the river side.

I haven't eaten there, but Hennessey's opened a new Irish Restaurant & Pub just past the Discoveries Monument in Belém. Maybe they serve a 'Carvery' lunch? Hennessey's already had a pub just across the street from Caís do Sodré.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 07:16 AM

ttt
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 02:06 PM

PORTO:

The Pestana Porto Hotel is ideally located in the centre of Porto.
The Pestana Porto Hotel, formerly the Porto Carlton, is situated on the river side in the old area of Porto looking across to the famous view of the river boats and the Port Wine houses on the south side.

The hotel is in Praça da Ribeira and is a conversion of old houses, some dating from the 16th century.
The hotel is surrounded by small restaurants in the old buildings. you gonna like it!

The food is great in this city!!

http://www.pestana.com/hotels/en/hot...ls/Porto/Home/

Old Apr 12th, 2006, 02:26 PM

Also look into Hotel da Bolsa - we're staying there for the first time in a little more than a month. It's also located in the Ribeira and their prices are very reasonable.

http://www.hoteldabolsa.com