Lisbon & Albufeira in February, 2012

Jan 18th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

Lisbon & Albufeira in February, 2012

My wife and I are spending a week in Albufeira with a few days in Lisbon both before and after the trip in February, 2012. This is our first trip to Portugal and we have a couple of questions:

1. Is it fairly simple to take a train from Lisbon to Albufeira? We have not booked our transportation yet and would like to take the train if worthwhile and not a hassle.
2. Do you have to have a rental car in Lisbon or Albufeira to see the must see sights? We prefer to venture out on our own without a car if public transportation is good. We enjoy hiking the beaches and mountains but also enjoy the old town in most areas where you get more of a flavor of the local residents.
3. What are the must see places in each area to get a good taste of Portugal?

We're looking forward to visiting Portugal and we would appreciate any guidance and suggestions.
Jan 19th, 2012, 12:50 AM

I can only help with the Lisbon part. The public transport in Lisbon is fantastic adn you can use it to see the sites no problem. I believe they sell 1 day passes that allow you to use the subway as well as the trams. Be careful of pickpockets on the trams, especially the one that goes up through the area by the castle.

As for must see places, buy a good guide book - we used Top 10 Portugal and it describes the top sites. We enjoyed Belem, and the castle, Se cathedral and just walking around and stopping for drinks at outside cafes. Eat pastries, drink lovely wine (all very cheap!). I'll post a link to our trip report to give you some ideas. There is also a good walking tour another poster posted that may help you out...I'll see if I can find it.
Jan 19th, 2012, 12:52 AM

Our trip report: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...m#last-comment
Jan 19th, 2012, 12:54 AM

And lreynold1's walking tour.

Have fun, Lisbon is fantastic!
Jan 19th, 2012, 04:26 AM

I've been to both Lisbon and Albufeira without a car, didn't feel any need to have a car at all in either. We also enjoyed Belem (very accessible by train from central Lisbon).

Enjoy your trip.
Jan 19th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the feedback and I just scratched rental car off of my list. Also, I really enjoyed the jamikins trip report which was informative and very entertaining and beautiful photos. Thanks.
Jan 20th, 2012, 12:49 AM

And I forget to post the link the walking tour: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-of-lisbon.cfm

Glad you enjoyed the report
Jan 22nd, 2012, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Our plane lands at 11:30 AM on Thursday and we had nothing planned for that afternoon so the walking tour will be perfect. Thanks again.
Jan 22nd, 2012, 12:45 PM

Speaking from personal experience as DH and I have been gong to the Algarve for over 25 years...I would take a bus down from the Gare Orient Station. That is the train station just outside Lisbon and very near the airport. If you google for more info you can get the times that they leave. The route and connections are better by bus as far as I know.

If I were you I would rent a car and drive out of Albufiera for a day following the coast all the way out to Sagres and back. It can be done in a day if you get an early start but I would only plan this if you have a nice day. Albufiera does not offer a very good picture of the Algarve as it is filled with tourist condos, lots of British style pubs and is not so authentic. As you head out to the western Algarve you can peek into the little towns along the way such as Burgau and Salema where things are much quieter....if that is your style.
Jan 23rd, 2012, 03:46 AM

the cheapest rental car you can find at atlaschoice.com
for good offers on acomodation and travel/adventures i recomend this one

http://www.lifecooler-travel.com/ind...x?consultor=m2

have fun!