lipari to naples

Search

lipari to naples

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lipari to naples

What is the best way to get from Lipari to Naples,using the overnight ferry?
We have a flight at 10:00 am from Naples to Nice.
It looks that we have to do Lipari-Milazzo,then Milazzo-Naples overnight .
I cannot find the site showing departures/arrivals time and do not want to miss the next day flight.
please help.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 01:49 PM

I would not count on the ferry due to weather constraints. Why not fly Catania to Naples?
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 01:33 AM

Bella - You would not need to go to Milazzo (- the Milazzo-Naples ferry picks up in Lipari). BUT ...

N.B. This ferry only operates on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
Departures from Lipari are at 18.30 (- arriving Naples at 07.00 the next morning)

The operator is Siremar
http://www.gruppotirrenia.it/siremar...inframeset.htm

Alternatively the overnight Palermo-Naples services (run by Tirrenia and Snav) run every night, (arriving Naples at 06.30).

Or you could fly as Bob suggests ...

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 01:55 AM

Siremar (www.siremar.it) run overnight from Lipari to Napoli, and there are five or six sailings a week in the peak season. However, all services from the islands can be disrupted by the weather; some years ago, I was stranded on Lipari for two nights when all ships and fast craft were cancelled by a gale. If you have to get a flight from Napoli at 1000, I'd suggest stopping a night in that area, or on an overnight train from Sicily.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 07:30 AM
ira

Hi Roma,

May I suggest that you get to Naples the night before?
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 11:41 AM
GAC

The Lipari-Naples Siremar overnight ferry and/or the Palermo-Naples Tirrenia overnight ferry (using much more modern and faster equipment) are subject to cancellation during very rough weather, but are otherwise fairly reliable. They will both be very crowded in high season. Nevertheless, an overnight train from Milazzo should be considered as an alternative (bear in mind that these long-distance trains often run late). Flying from Catania puts you too far off the mark, in my opinion. The safest advice is to spend the last night in Naples. You could take the morning or afternoon SNAV hydrofoil from Lipari to Naples, which takes only 5 1/2 hrs. travel time. www.snav.it
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great info.
Unforunatly flying from Catania does not work for us - the morning flights from Catania are about the same time as our flight from Naples to Nice,and we do not want to leave Lipari the day early.
I almost booked Siremar, but their rep. sent me a message that it may be not enough time to get to the airport in Naples.
So i reserved the night train from Taormina-Giardini to Naples (all Milazzo-Naples trains did not have availability).
we are planning to take a hydrofoil or ferry from Lipari to Milazzo or Messina
and the train(about an 1-1.5 hour) to Taormina-Giardini.

Old Jun 19th, 2004, 06:51 AM

RomaB - It makes NO sense to get the train from Messina to Taormina ... to catch another train back to Messina. This is what you're planning.

Your Taormina-Naples train will go to Messina for the ferry crossing to Villa San Giovanni. So ... catch your train in MESSINA, not Taormina.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Steve,this is exactly what we will do.
I tried to buy the Messina-Naples tickets on line - and was not able to do it. Trenitalia site did not give me this option.This is why i bought Taormina-Naples tickets+sleeper.
Thank you again.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:17 AM

If you have booked on the sleeper from Taormina to Napoli, you must join the train there. Sleeper reservations are not held indefinitely and any unclaimed berths may be sold to other people on the train. This should always be borne in mind when booking sleepers: always book from the last station possible; if you join the train earlier, you will not have a problem, but if you join the train late, you may find your berth(s) have been sold to somebody else.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:20 AM

Another point is that SNAV's hydrofoil services to the Eolian islands have this month been sold and are now run by Ustica Lines. Schedules are on www.usticalines.it.