Lipari, Sicily late October?

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 07:45 PM
Mary

Lipari, Sicily late October?

Is it worth going to Lipari at the end of October while travelling around Sicily? Although we are a little concerned with the weather, we are more concerned with things being closed up for the season. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 03:36 AM
Davidx

This may not be much use but I see you have no other reply yet. I only managed a short trip to Lipari in February 2001 and it was well worth it. The trip itself was great and the museum - very good - was open. This was all I had time for but I had the impression that there was quite a bit open. I imagine October would be OK as well.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 04:10 AM
Mary

Thank you. Your response is of much use. We only have time to spend 1 night there on the way from Palermo to Taormina and I know it's a little out of the way, but sounds worthwhile. Do you have any more tips? So far, I have found a vacancy at the Hotel Oriente and the Park Hotel Gattopardo. Are you familiar with either?
Also, I know the hydrofoil is much faster but we tend to get motion sickness and thought we would take the ferry. Was the water rough when you went?
Thanks again

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 12:42 PM
gac

Mary, it is worth going, even if for one day. The Archeological Museum itself makes the trip worthwhile. The Oriente and the Gattopardo are very close to each other. I don't have a specific recommendation of one over the other. If the seas are really rough, the hydrofoils won't operate, and you will be forced to take the car ferry. I assume you will travel to Lipari from and to Milazzo. Suggestion: don't take the catamaran or the hydrofoil in heavy seas. It can get VERY uncomfortable.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Mary

Thanks for the tip. Since posting, I've done more reading on Lipari and have now decided to spend 2 nights there and we do plan to go from Milazzo.
Thank you to both of you,
Mary