Reload this Page >

Lipari hotels-Oriente vs. Carasco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:10 AM
dave

Hi,<BR><BR>Heading to Lipari in early September, and I'm considering these two hotels. If anyone has experience with either, I'd love to hear about it.<BR><BR>Also would love tips for any unusual things I shouldn't miss in the Aeolian islands.<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR><BR>Dave

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Dayle

I'm green with envy! Aeolian Islands are on my plan for next trip with a Sept time frame. Please post when you return! Would love to hear about your trip Dave.<BR><BR>Buon viaggio!

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Patrick

Since I haven't been there yet -- going in August-- this may not be too helpful. But I eliminated the Carasco when I found that it is difficult to impossible to walk into town from there at night, and I plan to spend evenings in town. I was also told taxis are hard to come by, so the Carasco just seemed too inconvenient. I also received some comments about the Oriente being rather run down and dowdy, even dirty according to one post. <BR>I've opted for the Poseidon, considerably downscaled from most of the other options, but highly recommended. I liked the idea that it is in town, and was delighted that they didn't have a restaurant so there were no half board requirements which most of the others had during August.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 08:15 AM
dave

Patrick,<BR><BR>Could you be more specific about the negative comments about the Oriente? I hadn't seen anything like that posted.<BR><BR>The Carasco being far is a bit worrisome. I've read some posts suggesting the staff of the Poseidon is a bit "surly". Do you have any info on that?<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR><BR>Dave

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Patrick

I wish I could be more specific, but my research on Lipari hotels mainly consisted of looking at several dozen travel guides -- some at the library and some at Barnes and Noble. I still have some of my notes, and that is where I see that I had copied the following phrases regarding the Oriente:<BR>"offbeat decor"<BR>"in need of refurbishing"<BR>"not as clean as a place of this calibre should be"<BR>"quaint and quirky"<BR><BR>But I actually saw no negative comments about the Carasco other than the problems of distance and transportation.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 11:50 AM
GAC

Just returned from Italy which included a week on the island of Lipari. Stayed at the Carasco ... wow!!!!!!!!!!! Will be happy to answer specific questions about the islands, public transportation to and on the islands, and hotels on Lipari: I visited them all: Poseidon, Augustus, Oriente, Gattopardo, La Filadelfia, Giardino sul Mare, Rocce Azzurre.