Search

Limoges

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limoges

Anyone know anything about Limoges? The procelaine stuff. Where to get? Etc. While I'm on vacation in Paris.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 12:39 PM

Yes, I know Limoges pretty well. I wouldn't bother going there from Paris, especially if all you want is porcelaine. At the current exchange rate, it's hardly a bargain, and you can buy it in Paris if you've got your heart set on it.
And there's not that much to Limoges beyond porcelaine.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks StCirq.

I thought it be good as a souvenir. Is there any website that is good regarding Limoges? Is there certain stores that are good to look for Limoges?
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 05:01 AM

I usually buy my Limoges at a small little store called Marechal on the Rue Rivoli, across from the Tuileries. I believe they have a web site, check google. Good selection, and they take the VAT off the price.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 05:06 AM
ira

Hi choc,

Have you looked up "Limoges" on eBay?

You might get a better price and won't have to schlep it home.

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks LoriNY.

Yes, ira I thought about buying on eBay, just not the same as selecting your own souvenir while you are in Paris. But, I did think about breakage all the way back.

Any other souvenirs that would be worth considering while I am in Paris?

I'll check out both though. Thanks.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 06:32 PM

I'm sorry that I don't have a specific street name nor store handy, but I do remember seeing *many* stores along one of the main roads leading to the Opera house in Paris.

There are so many different designs, you will surely find something dear to you.

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 07:14 PM

You have not indicated whether you are looking for dinnerware or collectibles, but both can be found in Paris. Limoges is a region that historically had fine clay, and hence numerous porcelain factories, but there is a wide range of goods that come from the makers there. There is no such brand as "Limoges" china; the finest dinnerware brands are Bernardaud Limoges and Haviland Limoges. The collectible boxes known as "Limoges" boxes may not even come from France--watch for words like "Limoges-style", and be aware that like all souvenirs, many of these are imported from Asia.
For several fine china shops, try shopping on rue de Paradis, but be aware that you may do just as well at home when you buy on sale, especially considering the high cost of shipping. If it's collectibles you want, there are several shops along rue de Rivoli that sell them.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 07:26 PM

I got my "Limoges" Eiffel Tower box in in in ....you'll never guess... China Town in SF!!! $6

I do love my little cut crystal Eiffel Tower with clock I got in Paris. They sell them at the Tower and also shops near the river. I even saw them in Versailles.

My girlfriend gave me a procelain bisque candle holder??? I don't know what to call it but it has a base you put a tea light on and then a cover with scenes of Paris. When lit shadows are created. It is so pretty. I saw them in the department stores in Paris.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 07:28 PM

Go to the Galeries Lafayette and look for Haviland - it's the best of Limoges china. If you buy in quantity, they have been known to offer a discount. I have a full service for 16 that my parents bought for me back in the 1970s that they negotiated a 20% discount on, which I thought was pretty unusual for a major department store. One bowl broke and I'm still searching for the replacement, but otherwise it's beautiful stuff and I use it all the time. Still, not worth traveling to Limoges for.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your info. I haven't decided what I would like to buy yet. But I'm sure I'll know when I see it when I'm in Paris.

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 03:00 AM

StCirq - I know that there are search sites online where you can find missing pieces to china. Try a google search.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 03:37 AM

Hi chocaholic, We can buy Limoge in Australia and it is much cheaper than buying it in Paris. Have you checked this out for the country you live in?
Same as Denby and Portmerion products. UK visitors often buy these products here and take them back as gifts!
good luck with your search.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 03:48 AM

I agree with Barb. Rue de Paradis is only a few blocks long but is actually the stock shops for the major porcelaine, china and crystal manufacturers. I have found the prices to be hit and miss compared to the showroom stores. But if you are going to buy several items besides limoges (enough to meet VAT) check out Galleries Lafayette (not as fun as shoppping in little boutiques)but you get a 10% discount on items when you show your passport. Just be careful of the tourist souvenir shops most of that is not the real thing even if made in France. Make sure it says Haviland ect. limoges.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 06:00 AM

Thanks, moldy. I'll give it a try. It's a discontinued pattern, but who knows? Maybe someone's got a stray bowl out there.