Search

Lille, France

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 05:14 AM
Gerry K

Lille, France

Under a separate post, a Fodorite suggested a TGV day trip from CDG to Lille. Can anyone tell me something about Lille?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Gerry

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 06:43 AM
jen

Funny you should ask...I received an e-mail this morning from a friend just back from Lille who raved about the Restaurant Sebastopol (3 Michelin kives-and-forks, expensive "but worth every centime"...uh, eurocent).

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Judy

I was in Lille in March, again in April.It is about 1 hour from paris by TGV.<BR><BR>There are several museums in Lille, Fine Art Museum is the most important one, it is said only next to Le Louvre.Most works are by old masters, plus some impressionists.<BR><BR>The old town is centred around Grand Place and Opera,with many beautiful restored 17 and 18 centuries building. Compact and lovely with many outdoor cafes, It is quite enjoyable to walk around.<BR><BR>There are many fine churches in Lille,Englise ST.Maurice (just cross the train station Flanders)is the most impressive,But,Englise Ste.Marie-madeline has an interesting front.<BR>

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Gerry K

Great, Judy and Jen. Thanks.<BR><BR>GK

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Kris

There's an enormous flea market there on the weekend that coincides with the first Sunday in Sept called the Grand Braderie. We stayed in nearby Roubiax and took the train in. Thinking about going back again this year.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Daniel

Lille is also connected by train to Ghent (1 hour) and Antwerpen (1:45).<BR><BR>Also hourly trains to Brugge (80 mins), about half of them require change in Kortrijk. This is a shorter route between Brugge and Paris than via Brussel. <BR><BR>Note that there are two railway stations: Lille Europe for TGV and Eurostar, and Lille Flanders for other trains. Both are within easy walking distance of each other and the centre.