lifts in metro stations

Search

lifts in metro stations

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2003, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lifts in metro stations

Does anyone know of a website that tells which Paris metro stations have lifts or escalators? I read that in Madrid, you can tell which ones have elevators, as there is a little blue wheelchair logo. Is there anything like that in Paris?

Best,
Sandy
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 12:34 AM

I am going to be interested in seeing if there is anything like this. My own view is that the Paris metro system is essentially inaccessible to people who are not fairly able-bodied. There are some esclators, but not for all staircases in a given station; maybe an escalator up, but only stairs going down, etc. I could be missing something because I've never really been looking for it specifically, but I would be hard-pressed to think of stations that wouldn't present challenges.
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 01:20 AM
JonJon

Try this link....I think it may have some of the info you are looking for:
www.ratp.fr/ParisVisite/Eng/Voy_q/f_travel.htm

Old Dec 7th, 2003, 01:23 AM
JonJon

Oops...sorry..once there, click on the "accessibility" link.

Old Dec 7th, 2003, 03:01 PM

If there are any lifts and/or elevators in that Metro system, they are so few and far between as to be scarce.

I would not want to be a wheelchair person and try to rely on anything in Paris except a cab to bet me about.

When I think of the Montparnasse - Bienvenue Metro station and navigating it in a wheel chair, I get an anxiety attack.
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 03:45 AM

I can't help with which might have elevators--remember only seeing one in a station in MOntmartre. Consider using the bus system if someone is not able bodied--or even if they are. The long corresponcances of some stations, stairs up and down make the bus system almost as fast as some Metro lines.
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 04:18 AM

Negotiating the Paris metro system is tiring enough for people with no mobility problems. I imagine it must be extremely difficult for anyone with reduced mobility.
Even the lift in Montmartre that I think Gretchen is talking about (at Abbesses station) wouldn't be much help for anyone with a disability, as you have to go up/down a set of stairs to get to it!
Only the newest line (14) is (supposedly) fully wheelchair accessible.
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 03:42 PM

The following site has good information re buses and taxis:

http://www.parisby.com/transpor/transpor.htm

And, this one lists bus lines with wheelchair access. Searching further, you can find the routes of those lines, or you can pickup a route booklet in paris.

http://www.citefutee.com/orienter/accessibilite.php
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 04:58 PM

Even knowing which station has escalators is no guarantee they will be working when you want to use them! At lest half the time one or more is out of service and you have to hoof it!