Liability Insurance for Short Term Rental in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone heard of a French law that says short term renters in Paris need to show proof of liability insurance before they will be admitted to an apartment? Our agency and the owner both asked, but we have never been asked for this before. Home owner Insurance will partially cover it.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 03:39 AM

I rented apartments twice in Paris and wasn't asked about insurance. The terms and conditions of the rental are at the discretion of the owner and agency.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:23 AM

Did they suggest how or where you might purchase such insurance?
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:28 AM
LJ

I can't comment on France, but as a short-term landlord in my country, under our laws, we must buy (rather expensive) insurance to cover our weekly guests (tenants). Some renters here try to get around the cost by not declaring the fact that they rent or insisting that tenants provide their own coverage.

If French insurance regulations are similar perhaps you simply have run into an 'amateur' landlord? or a very frugal owner?

Like the others, we were not required to provide proof of coverage when we rented an apartment in Paris or down in Southern France last month.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 08:39 AM

People ask this question on here about every 2-4 weeks. So I won't repeat again what I've written as it's been said a lot on quite a few threads.

Try doing a search and you'll find out what you need to know.

But, yes, there is such a French law that a tenant is required to have insurance. I don't know why one would assume French law is the same as wherever you live that is not France.

Some agencies do not require it, but some do, but it is legal and instead of being amateurish it is the opposite, the ones who don't require it are probably more amateurish. Unless they have some insurance of their own to cover it or have arrangements with a company for the tenant to pay it at a very low cost (which is what I've encountered). Professionals do have arrangements with companies where they should be able to give you a link for you to buy it. I bought it from Abritel online and they had a deal with the agency I was working with. It was only about 30 euro.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 08:44 AM

It was Albinet (not Abritel)
see

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-in-france.cfm