LGW-STN contingency plans for this Saturday

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2006, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I have always told people not to book seperate tickets, especially with an airport change, but I didn't listen to myself and have such a connection on Saturday 12/23.

Right now, due to heavy fog, there are massive cancellations and delays at LHR, and limited ones at LGW and STN. We have 6:45 between flights but I want to be as prepared as possible if there's any delay.

First, the flights: CO arriving at LGW South Terminal 9:55a, and FR departing STN at 4:40p.

If things are on-time, we will take Southern or Gatwick Express to Victoria and then switch to National Express bus. But I want to know the fastest alternative.

Let me work from the other end up.

Ryanair closes check-in at 4:00p for our 4:40p flight. The last National Express bus I figure we can take is the 1:50p one, as the schedule says it takes 1:45. The 2:05 will be cutting it very very close.

Now, if we take the Stansted Express, I figure the train that leaves Liverpool Street at 2:40 (and Tottenham Hale at 2:50) will be okay. And that's still a chance we can checked-in if we take the one leaving Liverpool St at 2:55 (and Tottenham Hale 3:05).

Now, what's the best way to get from Gatwick to the Stansted Express? We can take Gatwick Express (only running at 30-min interval for 12/23) or Southern to Victoria. [Almost same price for three people, with the GEX's 4for2 or whatever it's called.] Then Victoria line to Tottenham Hale. Nationalrail.co.uk says this will take about 1:20. About 35-40min on the train, some walk, and about 22min on the tube.

Or there's the Thameslink train that departs Gatwick at :16 and :46 to Kings Cross Thameslink. Train takes about 4 minutes, then walk and then Victoria Line to Tottenham Hale. Nationalrail.co.uk also says total journey time is about 1:20.

So, to get on the 2:50 Stansted Express at Tottenham Hale, I figure we'll be okay if we get out of Gatwick by 1:15. That means we'll still be okay if our flight is 2 hours late. [We won't be checking bags.]

Here are my questions for my fellow Fodorites:

1. How do the these two transfer compare, in terms of walking distance and time:
- Gatwick Express to Victoria Line at Victoria
- Thameslink to Victoria Line at Kings Cross/Kings Cross Thameslink

2. If we can't get out of Gatwick by 1:15p, is there still any other way at the last minute we can make it to Stansted to be checked-in by 4:00p? Any idea how much a taxi may cost and can that make it? [I have travel interruption insurance, which may or may not pay me back.]

3. Any other ideas regarding the transfer? [We will standby for an earlier flight into Gatwick, but with the flights this full and LHR in a mess, I think chances are not good with the standby.]
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 12:37 PM

"Now, what's the best way to get from Gatwick to the Stansted Express?"

Train from Gatwick to Farringdon, easy over-the-footbridge change of platform, short journey by tube to Liverpool Street.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 12:46 PM

Not to pile onto this circumstance, which is further complicated by the weather, but some customers are threatening to sue Ryanair because of their behavior at Stansted. The contention is that Ryanair is shortstaffed, and thus takes too long to check people in, and by the time they get through security, they miss their flights, with no assistance by Ryanair. There were a few articles about this lately - like here:
http://tinyurl.com/ymdtdm
Based on that, I'd of course try to get to Stansted as early as possible, which is no doubt your plan too.

Did you also consider taking the National Express all the way from Gatwick to Stansted (I haven't checked the timing of that)? At least that is only one bus, so doesn't have the possibility of a slowdown in some transport link that might result if you have one or more transfers.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

owain - Thanks, I'll look into that.

Willtravel - The National Express bus from LGW to STN goes through LHR. The last bus that will work for us leaves LGW at 12:10p.

Currently, I figure that we'll be okay if we can leave LGW by 1:25p.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Right now, I'm thinking:

- If we get out by 1:16, then I'll take the Thameslink to Farringdon, arrive 1:59p. I think we have a good chance of getting on the 2:40p Stansted Express at Liverpool St, arriving 3:24p. If not, 2:55p one, which will get us to Stansted 3:41p.

- If I cannot get on that Thameslink train, then I have to go to Victoria, by the 1:20 GEX or 1:25 Southern. Get to Victoria before 2pm, and we should be able to get on the Stansted Express at Tottenham Hale at 2:52p and arrive airport 3:24p.

Of course, I hope we'll get out of LGW much earlier than that.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 01:24 PM

In case there is a problem with the Stansted Express (which happens periodically), you can also take the Terravision bus from Victoria Coach Station. The problem is I'm not sure how you would find out the Stansted Express had problems before getting there. The Terravision bus allegedly takes 75 minutes:
http://www.terravision.it/london.html
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 01:24 PM

And you can also take the Terravision from Liverpool Street, according to that link.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, WillTravel. Didn't know about the Terravision bus before. Their bus is faster than National Express without the intermediate stops.

Again, if we can get out of Gatwick by 1:25p or so, then we can use the Terravision 2:15p bus and get to Stansted by 3:30p.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

The UK news are reporting heavy traffic jams around the nation due to the fog and flight cancellations.

The train may be the better bet.

This thing is so fluid I have to keep track of it all day tomorrow.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 02:32 PM

Just to point out that the direct National Express coach between Gatwick & Stansted is SLOWER than going into London.

For speed I'd take the First Capital Connect service to Farringdon, Tube to Liverpool Street, Stansted Express to - em - Stansted. It should take about 100 minutes

The alternative is Gatwick Express to Victoria, Tube to Tottenham Hale, then Stansted Express to Stansted, but that'll take about 10 minutes longer - plus you spend more time on a VERY busy part of the Tube network
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

alanRow - That's exactly my plan right now. With the fog and traffic, I will take the trains even if we arrive London on-time.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:35 AM

I agree : since Saturday will be the busiest day of the *year* for road traffic, even without the fog chaos, I'd stick to trains.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:49 AM

For the first time in two weeks I am glad that my holiday trip got cancelled and I won't have to suffer thru any of this fog chaos!! I may have to be at home for the holidays, but at least I won't be spending all of my time worrying if I am going to make my connections or end up sleeping in the airport.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:55 AM

Stick to trains for this particular weekend. Connection either via Farringdon, or get off at London Bridge, cab over the river to Liverpool St Station (shouldn't be more than £10).

Just a quick reminder: Gatwick Express departs 05/20/35/50 past the hour, Stansted Express departs Liverpool St Stn 10/25/40/55 past the hour. Just buy Gatwick Express ticket on board (no penalties), though you 'll need to get Stansted Express ticket before boarding (use the ticket machine).

Hope your flight lands on time and transfer goes smoothly.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. Gatwick and Stansted seems to be mostly unaffected by the freezing fog, so I think we'll be okay.

Just want to point that for those traveling during the holidays in UK, many trains run at reduced schedule for either holiday or track work. For example, on my day of travel (tomorrow, Sat 12/23), Gatwick Express only runs at half hourly schedule, :20 and :50 from airport only.

Likewise, First Capital Connect (Thameslink) to Farringdon, etc only departs at :16, :46.

Also, there are often special deals, like the Gatwick Express has a "4-for-2" type special. So, it's 28 GBP for 2, 3 or 4 people traveling together. In contrast, Southern is 9 GBP per person. I have three in my group, so the difference is just one GBP.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 07:58 AM

Southern DaySave is £20 for up to four travelers. Off-peak restrictions apply.

http://www.southernrailway.com/main.php?page_id=122
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Robspierre - Thanks very much for the reply. Learn something new every minute here!
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all who've replied. This is what we did.

- We stoodby and got on the earlier flight to Gatwick. No weather problem there, and so we had about 9 hours between flight. Plenty of time for us to walk around London too.

- At the Gatwick train station, we got a super super deal. Three people traveling together could get 3 London all-zone cards with Southern's Gatwick-Victoria service for just 6.6GBP per person! That's cheaper than anything I've heard of, and we could also utilize the tube and buses during our spare time in London.

- With so much time, we again opted for the cheapest way for Stansted, which is the Terravision bus. OMG. Only the Italians can make the ticketing and boarding process so chaotic - even though this is in London. The scene at the Greenline Coach Station was absolutely ridiculous, though we did get to Stansted basically ontime, since we pre-bought our tickets and fought to get aboard early.

So, total per person for our LGW-STN transfer was 14.6 GBP, and we rode the tube and buses in London several times too.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 02:42 PM

Rkkwan, I'm glad that worked out so well and you didn't have any weather or fog issues.

For the Greenline bus, how long did it take once the bus actually started moving?
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

WillTravel - Let me describe the situation of the Terravision bus at the Greenline Coach station:

- We scouted out the place and bought tickets at around noon for our 1pm bus. There was already a mob scene, with lots of people and lots of luggage still outside the bus at around 12:05pm.

- We got our tickets at their "office", which was one desk sublet from a travel agent. Cash only, and the girl may or may not be there. If not, a sign tells people to just pay at the bus. While their website says its 75 minutes to STN, the sign at the coach stop says 55.

- After getting some light lunch, we were back at the stop at around 12:40. About a dozen people already in line. Bus pulled up at around 12:45. But turns out a lot of people don't have tickets yet. The same girl now was working at the door with a hand-held computer that works occassionally.

- Everybody showed up with a 10GBP note, and the girl didn't have change for the 8GBP tickets.

- The hand-held was extremely slow in printing ticket when it was working. Took about 3 minutes to sell one ticket. And the bus sits 50. You do the maths.

- Some people had tickets but couldn't get past the mob to get on the bus.

- The hand-held quitted working. The driver shut the door while the girl went in to her "office" to get another.

---

But to answer the question, our 1:00 bus eventually left at 1:08 with a few seats empty and about 20 people still in the bus stop.

We went along the Thames and got on the motorway near Carnary Wharf at 1:35p. We pulled up at STN 2:17p. Which is 77 minutes after the scheduled 1:00 departure. But this was a Saturday with basically no traffic to get out of London.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -