Reload this Page >

Let's talk Lithuania

Search

Let's talk Lithuania

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 1999, 12:32 PM
Bob

Let's talk Lithuania

I will be visiting eastern europe in a week; the itinerary is flexible. The more I hear about Lithuania, the more intrigued I get, but I know very little about it. Those who have visited, can you provide some general info: sights; how far from Poland; infux of tourists yet, expensive, Vilnius, etc. Thanks in advance.

Old Aug 14th, 1999, 01:22 PM
Ben Haines

<BR> <BR>You're lucky, in that the full text of a country guide book is on the web, at <BR>http://www.inyourpocket.com/Lithuania/index.htm. <BR> <BR>The buffet car train from Warsaw avoiding Byelorussia leaves Warsaw Central at 0906 an reaches the frontier at 1600. There a train leaves at 1615 and reaches Vilnius at 1947. The second of these trains may be every day or may be only every second day. <BR> <BR>For the extra cost of a Byelorussian visa and a sleeper a more convenient train leaves Warsaw Central on even dates at 2226, and reaches Vilnis at 0737. <BR> <BR>Please write after you've seen the web site if I can help further. As you say, it's an intriguing country. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR>

Old Aug 16th, 1999, 08:59 AM
up

up

Old Aug 16th, 1999, 01:27 PM
Marija

The distance from Poland to Lithuania depends on where you are in Poland, since they have a common border.There are a variety of accomodations from B&B's to fairly upscale hotels. Obviously the prices will vary considerably as well. Vilnius, the capital, is an interesting old city with the castle of Gediminas, lovely churches, including Ausros Vartai, a particularly important shrine. Outside of Vilnius is the castle of Trakai, a semi restored castle in a pretty setting. Continuing on you can stop in Rumsiskes, an outdoor ethnic museum, similar to those found in Scandinavia. Kaunas is a delightful city with an old cathedral, quaint main street, etc. Outside of Siauliai you will find the Hill of Crosses (Kryziu kalnas), a very impressive display of tens of thousands of crosses of all sizes and shapes. During the Soviet occupation of Lithuania the crosses were torn down many times but new ones always appeared in their place. On the Baltic sea are Klaipeda, Lithuania's main port, Nida and Palanga, both appealing resort cities. Since our visits to Lithuania have always centered around visiting family, I can't share any good tourist tips about lodging and dining. Sorry! <BR> <BR>Laimingos keliones! <BR>Marija

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 05:39 AM
Ceon

Bob, if you are making a swing of eastern europe and are interested in Lithuania, you should also consider Latvia, Estonia and especially Poland. You won't find as many backpackers, but that may not be so bad. Also, make sure you have Prague on your itinerary if you are hitting eastern europe. Most beautiful night city I have been to; among other positive things.