Search

Windsor Castle

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 1999, 06:11 AM
kristi

Windsor Castle

We were thinking about visiting Windsor and had a couple of questions. <BR> <BR>The guide books recommend seeing the changing of the guard at Windsor instead of Buckingham Palace. If we visit in early Sept, is it every day or every other day? What time? <BR> <BR>What's the best way to get there from London? We will likely be getting daily tube passes since we will only be there for four days. Is there a cheap day return ticket like there is for Hampton Court? <BR> <BR>What else should we see in Windsor besides the castle? <BR> <BR>Thanks for your help! <BR>

Old Aug 13th, 1999, 08:30 AM
Robin

When I went to Windsor, I did a tour on a coach bus. There are no tube stations there, so you'll have to take a coach - like a day tour, or a taxi. Its only about 15/20mn outside of London. I totally recommend going, especially if you love traditional castles. Its the most magnificent one in England, I think, and the scenery around it are breathtaking. There is no guarentee that the State Apartments will be open when you go, so you'll have to call to find out. But, they have the Queen's Doll house - which is an extremely sophistocated Doll HOuse donated to Queen Anne (i think) long ago. There is also St. George's Chapel on the Windsor grounds that you can tour. THat's where Prince Edward was just married. And, all around Windsor, there are tons of shops and restaurants and pubs...and even a local McDonalds if you miss the USA. The Castle is smack in the middle of a small town - so there is plenty to see in town, outside the castle grounds. You cant tour the insides of many many parts of Windsor, because the royal family still lives there..but as I said before, if the state apartments in Windsor Castle are open...thats the only way you'll see the inside. <BR> <BR>This tour is highly recommended...you can also try to catch the guards change at the castle, but I thought it was very similar to what happened at Buckingham Palace..just less crowded. Hope this helps...

Old Aug 13th, 1999, 09:24 AM
anna

We took a train to Windsor. I think it left from Waterloo station. Was not an underground train. Don't remember much more about it but the guidebooks should say. Windsor Palace has a website but I don't know the address. It has a lot of info about dates things are open and such. Try a search engine.

Old Aug 13th, 1999, 09:58 AM
Bill Irving

Have been to Windsor a number of times. Each time we took the train from London. If I remember correctly, it took about 30-45 minutes by train. You need to walk up the hill from the train station about 1/4 mile or less to the castle entrance. Last time I checked in June of 1999, I think it was listed as $12 round trip. You can buy your tickets at any London train station, & if you buy a day or 2 in advance, you may even be able to get a cheaper rate than that. The school town of Eaton is right across the bridge from Windsor. Also if you go down by the river in Windsor, they have boat rides on that part of the Thames river, I think they go up to a couple hours in length. & IMO a boat ride along that part of the Thames is much more scenic & relaxing than in London. Also, we used to get daily tube passes in London, but when we went this past June, we purchased Tourist Travel Cards for zone 1 & 2, for 4 days. These are different from the standard travel cards, they don't need photoes & I purchased ours from Britrail in the States, before we went to London. They were vouchers & when we got to London, we went to Euston Station & trade the vouchers for travel cards & we were off using the tube in about 5 minutes. You also get maps & discount books when you trade in the vouchers. They are much more convenient, no waiting in line with everybody else at 9:30am to get your daily tickets, these cards have no time restrictions on them, just zone & number of days restrictions. They are are also alittle bit cheaper if you plan on using the tube alot. With zone 2 we were able to get to Greenwich, via the light rail. Have fun. Email me if I can be of anymore help.

Old Aug 13th, 1999, 11:19 AM
gmf

<BR>I went to Windsor Castle 2 weeks ago, didn't see the changing of the guard so I can't help you there ... but as for how to get to Windsor Castle from London, you can't take the tube, but you can take a train. You can either go from Waterloo Station or from Paddington Station (with a change in Slough). I did the latter as it was a slightly shorter trip, even with the change in trains - took about 40 minutes vs. 50 minutes. If I recall the price correctly, I got a cheap day return (you must travel after 9:30 a.m.) for 5.80 (pounds, not dollars). The trains run very frequently from Paddington, every 20 minutes or so, and you can just show up at the station and buy your ticket the day you want to go.

Old Aug 13th, 1999, 12:18 PM
kristi

Thanks for the replies! <BR> <BR>Is there anyway to get tickets for Windsor along with the train ticket? Or do I need to go wait in line at the castle? If I remember correctly, we were able to buy train tickets and admission for Hampton Court several years ago at the station in London.

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 05:50 AM
David White

While in Windsor-- <BR> <BR>The castle is great--and it is the main attraction--but while you are in Windsor: <BR> <BR>• Take a walk behind the castle, out the Long Walk, through Windsor Great Park. <BR> <BR>• Take another walk down to the River Thames, across the pedestrian bridge, to the village of Eton. This is the site of the famous boys school. The town is small, quiet, and a distinct contrast to the tourist-filled streets of nearby Windsor. <BR> <BR>• If you have young children (ages 3-9) you may want to consider a trip to Legoland Windsor. Shuttle bus leaves from "downtown" Windsor. This is a theme park, but a relatively calm and small one, built by the Lego toy empire. <BR> <BR>