Lets see Genoa, Italy

Oct 14th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Lets see Genoa, Italy

What to see and where to eat. Two days before we get on the Costa Europa to sail to the Suez Canal...Any suggestions
Oct 14th, 2007, 01:44 PM

Have you looked at Destinations on the Fodor's website for Genoa? Hard to give suggestions when your interests are not known.
Oct 14th, 2007, 02:13 PM

Hello gosarago, here is the official website for Genoa (note: it is Genova in Italian) from the Italian Tourist Board which should get you started with planning your visit to this very beautiful city.
http://www.italiantourism.com/genoa.html
Oct 14th, 2007, 03:39 PM

do not miss the cemetary(chimitaro) the structures are big ,beautiful and huge.
Oct 14th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Fodor's was the first site we looked at!Personal experience from recent visitors is generally the best. Thanks for the Italian Tourist Board Site it is really great. Also, thanks for the suggestion about the local chimitaro, would never have thought of that. We leave last part of November so have some time to research. We appreaciate your help ... Sara
Oct 15th, 2007, 11:54 AM

In Genoa in May, we picked up a round bread/cake that was like panetonne. When I asked if it was called that, I was told that the Genovese have a different name for it (the name escapes me now), and that is their version of was a little different. It was heavenly. I picked it up early in my trip and had it two weeks later. I did worry that it would last until I got to the apartment in Paris, but took a chance since the panetone we receive at Christmas always seems to keep well. It was just delicious, so I recommend it highly. I'm looking at a bottle of violet jam that I got from the same little bakery (along with rose syrup). This is on the label and on a sticker that held the wrapping paper together, so perhaps it is the name of the establishment: "A. VED. ROMANEGO", Via Orefici 31-33-35 R, Tel. 010 2472915". It was a few blocks from the aquarium.
Oct 15th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

We must be related ... I love to purchase the jams, jellies, breads etc and going to the grocery stores in towns is one of my very favorite things to do. My husband says that I eat my way through a country, perhaps I do...I will try to find the bakery. We plan to visit the aquarium..Thanks

Search this Thread