Let's meet in Rome Oct 9th -15th

Sep 3rd, 2009, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Let's meet in Rome Oct 9th -15th

It seems as if an awful lot of Fodorites will be in Rome during October. Does anyone want to meet one evening for drinks, people watching and to chat about your trip so far? My sister and I will be there Oct 9-15th, staying in the Navona area. We could pick a place and time and those interested, show up. We'd also have to come up with something to identify oursevles to each other.

I haven't done a lot of research on bars and restuarants yet, so does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone done this before? If so, how did it work out? I think it would be totally cool.
Sep 4th, 2009, 08:10 AM

Well, I live here....but I'm not sure if I'll be in town those particular days! If I am though, why not? Bars and restaurants....YES

Since you're staying a few nights, I have a non touristy suggestion: The San Lorenzo district, by the university. It's really cool, GREAT for people watching, and the nightlife is fabulous (it's like Amsterdam over there....ok, without the hookers in the windows). Food and drink are cheap and DELICIOUS since tourists don't really go there, and you won't find English Menus.....Porca Vacca is a REAL gem: Via Dei Sabelli, 99

In the historic center I love Il Bacaro (www.ilbacaro.com). Ok, so it costs more than San Lorenzo would, but a fantastic meal with artistic flourish is worth paying for and the chef is really excellent. It's all fresh, made with love and care, and they even have seasonal menus.

And of course Trastevere is the known hotspot for nightlife, locals and tourists alike. Can't swing a cat there without finding good eats! I really like Ivo a Trastevere (Via San Francesco a Ripa, 158), and it's pretty cheap. Augusto in Piazza Dei Renzi is a kind of "whatever we're making tonight" place, and often has lines out the door, which is always a good sign, and I love that too. Aperitivo is a fun way to hit the bar, pay a little more for the buffet and people watch as well, and I often go to pe.pa.to: via Del Politeama, 8

To drink cheaper and with the locals/expats, and get another real experience, Testaccio is great too, with bars and clubs open until the wee hours....and the night transport from there is good too so that's convenient.

Ok, hope I haven't overwhelmed you!
Sep 4th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Dobermina, thank you for that info. I try and check the Chicago forums now and then and offer up my favorite places to eat, drink, etc to Fodorites coming to visit. It's great to get a native's perspective of things, since they/we see, do, eat here everyday.

I'm hoping others find this forum because I think it would be awsome to have a get-together. Even if they don't, we should tyr and meet.
Sep 4th, 2009, 01:14 PM

Let me know, I will come.
My pleasure.

Vincenzo
Sep 4th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Vincendoza, am I correct in assuming most attractions are closed on Sunday? If so, then we won't be going to Pisa, Pompeii or any other parts near or far. So, how about Sunday, Oct 11, around 7? I'm guessing both you and Dobermina live in Rome, yes? If so, pick a favorite spot and we can meet? If others want to joins us, great.
Sep 5th, 2009, 05:50 AM

I live in Italt but not in Rome.
I live in Romagna and often I come back for few days in my beloved Penisola Sorrentina where I had been living for 14 years.
I was born in Naples.
On Oct 8 I have to stay in Florence because of my job and that's why the following day it could be great; otherwise also a different day can be good for me but I cannot be sure now because I fill my agenda day by day.
The best is that you plan every thing and then I will read about your decision and, if possible, I will meet you when and where you decided.
Have a lovely long week-end.
Ciao.

Vincenzo
Sep 5th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Sounds good. Like for an itinerary in a few weeks.
Sep 6th, 2009, 05:35 AM

>>>Blacknight on Sep 4, 09 at 11:54 PM
Vincendoza, am I correct in assuming most attractions are closed on Sunday? If so, then we won't be going to Pisa, Pompeii or any other parts near or far.<<<

No, you are not correct. Pompeii only closes three days of the year.

http://www.pompeiisites.org/Sezione....ezioneRif=1165

Neither does Pisa.

http://www.opapisa.it/en/plan-your-v...ing-hours.html

Tourist sites/attractions are more likely to be closed on Monday or Tuesday, but most only close for major holidays.
Sep 6th, 2009, 06:38 AM

I just read this now, and if I'm still around October 11th, I'll be up for it If I'm back in Chicago though, I'll see if a friend wants to meet you anyway!
Sep 7th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Sounds good!
Sep 7th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, kybourbon. We've decided to just do the one side trip, to Pompeii & maybey throw in Sorrento, on Sunday the 11th. There's just so much to do and see in Rome that we don't want to spend a lot of time on the trains.
Sep 8th, 2009, 05:40 AM

I agree, enjoy Rome the best and the most you can, really.

Vincenzo
Sep 10th, 2009, 08:04 AM

Blacknight...

I'll be in Rome from Oct. 9-17. I'd definitely be up for a get together. I'll be traveling with my mom and a friend. Mom "lurks" here at Fodors, so she'd love to meet fellow travelers and our friend is always up for travel talk and vino!

We are staying in the area between Piazza Navona and Campo dei Fiori (renting an apartment this time), so it's an easy walk (or bus ride) to most any area. Oct. 11th at 7pm works well for us.

I also know (Fodorite) Kristina will be in Rome during this same time and she and I planned to meet up but we haven't made any firm arrangements yet. But I think she may not arrive until the 11th. I'll give her a head's up about this thread.
Sep 10th, 2009, 08:26 AM

Bummer... I won't be in Rome until Monday, Oct. 12.
Sep 10th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Original Poster

Cool! Let's keep this going. Since my sis & I are only doing 1 day trip, to Pisa, we can work around this. I'm really getting pumped for this! How about we try for the 12th so jaonnyc can be there? Even if there's only 2-3 of us, who cares! We'll be in Rome, baybee!
Sep 10th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Original Poster

I forgot, we changed places and also staying in the Piazza Navona area.
Sep 10th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Original Poster

Um, or the 13th, 14th or 15th...
Sep 10th, 2009, 10:48 PM

I'd love to meet up with you! I'm staying at the Grand Flora on Via Veneto by the Borghese Gardens (points, baybee, Marriott points!!!) ;-)

I'm coming to Rome from Sorrento on Oct. 12. Will be there until Oct 17.

Sounds like fun!
Oct 2nd, 2009, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Sorry for taking so long to get back to this thread. Only 2 1/2 days before I leave and I'm still not ready. I had to rearrange some stuff in order to get the best out of the Roma pass and to make this meet happen. How does Tuesday, Oct 13th, 7:30ish in Piazza Navona, by the large monument sound?

I updated my profile picture so those of you who may be coming out for a meet would have an idea what I look like. I'm the one on the left (but my hair is realy, really short now). That's my sister in the pic, who's coming with me.

I'll wear my avocado green sweater (depending on the weather, it may be under a black coat).
Oct 3rd, 2009, 09:13 PM

how frustrating - i don't get there til the 16th!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO