left bank paris

Apr 15th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

left bank paris

looking fo clean, safe, around 100 E hotel on left bank, near metro stop, in area w/ fun eating places,boutigues -- not too touristy -- have checked various guidebooks/ web sites but was hoping to get opinons of readers here - will be going w/ 22 yr old daughter at end of june -- thanks
Apr 15th, 2005, 08:49 AM

Ive not stayed at either of these, but last summer Conde Nast Travel mentioned them both as good value for the money. At the time each was around $100. The websites look good, and Conde Nast should be a reliable source.

Good luck, and have lots of fun!

www.hotelportroyal.fr
www.hotelsunny.com
Apr 15th, 2005, 08:57 AM

We just stayed at Hotel Monge last week and our price was just under 100E per night. It is in a good area, just a block or two from the very busy Rue Mouffetard. Lots of places to eat in the area, a metro stop at the end of the block, and a lovely arena to the rear for picnicing or watching the kids play. www.hotelmonge.com (Also has a/c)
Apr 15th, 2005, 08:59 AM

Honestly, I don't know what 'not too touristy' means when it comes to hotels, they are all pretty much for tourists except the business-oriented hotels.

I read good things about the Monge all the time. Also check the rates at the du Lys.
Apr 15th, 2005, 10:17 AM

keys72,

We also stayed at the Monge in march. It is near 2 different metro lines, has lots of patisseries nearby, and not too far from lots of shops.

amy
Apr 15th, 2005, 10:51 AM

The Muguet is a lovely place. Fits all your criteria, particularly for transportation. It is about equidistant between 2 Metro stops and on 5 bus lines.
Apr 15th, 2005, 10:55 AM
jay

Also try the excelsior. it is between the St. Michelle and Luxembourg stops.
Apr 15th, 2005, 11:22 AM

I like the hotel reviews on tripadvisor.com.
Apr 15th, 2005, 11:40 AM

We stayed at Hotel du Levant
http://www.hoteldulevant.com/pages_uk_new/frameset.htm
It's in the Latin Quarter, a very close walk to Notre Dame, and very close (a small block) to a Metro and RER stop (Cluny/Sorbonne)

We thought it was very nice for the price, and we loved the Latin Quarter
Apr 15th, 2005, 01:27 PM

My college daughter and her friend stayed a week at Hotel St. Andres des Artes in the Latin Quarter and absolutley loved it. It was under 100E a night, apparently very funky but friendly and in an excellent location.
Apr 15th, 2005, 04:33 PM

We have stayed at Hotel St. Andre des Arts in the last 6 months. A double was around 86 euros, breakfast included. "Funky" pretty well sums it up, but we like it and we're middle-aged. Warning: there is a popular bar across the street that parties-on til the wee hours. We find it amusing and part of the Paris ambiance, but you might prefer to ask for a room on the back side. Good luck!
Apr 15th, 2005, 09:19 PM

i have found some good deals from best western...you can give them a try.
Apr 16th, 2005, 02:01 PM

I stayed at Hotel des Nations St Germain, 54 Rue Monge, www.regetel.com.
There were 7 of us, and we got a good deal, so I can't give you an exact price, but it was very nice for 3*, and not expensive. Good location with metro stations close by, and less than 10 minutes wander from the Pantheon.
Apr 19th, 2005, 10:58 AM

I just got back from Paris where I stayed at the Hotel Monge. I have also stayed at the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles and the Muguet. I liked the Muguet best of the three, but each has its strengths.

The Monge was very pleasant and well located, and the manager, Julie, was lovely and helpful. The room was spotless. But my room faced the street, meaning I had to sleep with closed windows or it would have been too noisy, and also, somehow, I found the bed very uncomfortable (and it is very rare that I can't get used to a bed in a hotel). I don't know what was wrong with it, exactly--it felt like a padded piece of cardboard with coarse sheets. I hope I'm not turning into a fuss-pot in my old age, but in neither of the other hotels had I any problems.

The Muguet is in a quieter area, for better or for worse, and the breakfasts were far better. It has a lovely indoor garden-courtyard.

The HGE had a charming garden and was also well located, and quieter than the Monge. But I stayed in a tiny room that was too flowery for my taste--it mae me a bit dizzy! (Gosh, I *do* sound like a fuss pot...)

Of the three, only the Monge has minibars in the rooms, a plus if, like me, you like to stock up on special little dairly desserts like Marronsui's!

I think my ideal location would be where the Hotel Bonaparte is--right between the quiet and lovely Jardin du Luxembourg, which I adore, and the lively Carrefour (?) Odeon. Its cost is slightly more than any of the others but the cost does include breakfast, which is extra in the others.

Liz
Jan 31st, 2006, 01:51 PM

I stayed at the Hotel Abbatial St Germain two weeks ago and was very impressed. By French standards, the bathroom was HUGE and well-equipped. The staff were very friendly and helpful and they all spoke English, but when I spoke to them in French they replied in French rather than in English, which I appreciated. I paid €82 per night for a single room that was more than large enough. The hotel is on the Bd Saint Germain, about two blocks up from the Seine and Notre Dame.
Jan 31st, 2006, 02:09 PM

I just looked at the Hotel Abbatial St. Germain and they show the rate for a single standard room at 115 euro. I have booked the Hotel College de France,which is in the 5th, close to the Sorbonne for 85 euro for a single. I have also stayed at Hotel St. Jacque, which is now 84 euro/single and very nice. I love the 5th!
Jan 31st, 2006, 02:18 PM

I just booked, once again, at the Hôtel de France in the 7th, for my March trip. 78 € for a single.

www.hoteldefrance.com
Jan 31st, 2006, 05:20 PM

StCirq, Based on your recommendation, on another thread, I booked the Hotel de France Invalides for March.