Left Bank or Right Bank in Paris?

Mar 23rd, 2002, 12:19 PM
Jeff

Left Bank or Right Bank in Paris?

I am going to Paris for part of my honeymoon. Trying to decide between a hotel on the right bank (Hotel D'Aubusson) or on the left bank closer to Champs Elysées (Lancaster Hotel).

I'd like to be central to most of the major attractions/land marks, but can't find a definitive answer as to whick location is best.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 12:25 PM
Jeff

Just realized that I mixed up the left bank and right bank in my message - the left bank hotel is Hotel D'Aubusson and the right bank hotel I am looking at is the Lancaster.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 12:40 PM
Wayne

Jeff---There is no "best" except in your own mind, so you need to decide. If you have read a bit about the areas of Paris, you know that the left bank is considered to be a bit more "Parisian" in the basic sense, and the right bank a bit more classic. I personally prefer the ambience of the left bank. For your honeymoon, I would suggest the Hotel Abbaye St-Germain, on 10 rue Cassette, a nice characteristic French hotel that is in the 6th district, well located among shops, Latin Quarter, university Sorbonne, and good restaurants.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 12:41 PM
Statia

I prefer the Latin Quarter, myself, but to be honest, you can stay anywhere and get around the city easily on the metro. So, it's a toss-up.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 01:15 PM
JOdy

I think you will prefer the left bank, much more Parisian in feeling and full of life and vitality! And close to all the major things you will want to be doibg. Isn't it funny I can walk 10 or more miles a day there and here at home a 2 mile walk is a chore!!
The d'Aubusson is a wonderful choice!!

Mar 23rd, 2002, 06:02 PM
Kay

I really liked the D'Aubusson. The area is very convenient. I didn't stay on the right bank because I read it was more of a business district that "closes at night," the hotels are very expensive and the restaurants are very expensive and ordinary. I think I made the right choice. The D'Aubusson is very convenient to major attractions.