Lecce, Italy Hotel Conundrum

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2014, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning our first trip to Puglia and Basilicata for the end of May 2015 and first week of June, 2015. The conundrum is lodging in Lecce's historical center. There are over 200 B&Bs and only a few hotels. Some of the B&Bs are lovely, but dining can be an issue for us - specifically breakfast. We enjoy communal dining, which doesn't seem to be widely available in the small B&Bs or you need to have breakfast at a neighborhood café. (We don't eat where we sleep and some B&Bs offer breakfast in your room.)

Two large hotels: Risorgimento Resort and Patria Palace Hotel are well-located, but have different styles of hospitality. On one hand, the Risorgimento would be a good choice; it is very modern with a business-like edge. The hotel staff reportedly on Tripadvisor is friendly and kind. However, would we feel like we were on a business trip attending a convention?

On the other hand, he Patria Palace is more traditionally Italian looking, but a few remarks about a surly and/or formal hotel staff. Also one person wrote that the walls between rooms are paper thin.

Has anyone on this board done a comparison of these two hotels and, if so, what was your conclusion?
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 01:14 PM

No comparison, but our stay at the Patria Palace was wonderful, including breakfasts and a superb dinner. Didn't notice paper thin walls. The staff was exceptionally helpful with lots of suggestions and directions as we were rather unprepared for our stay there.
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you NeoPatrick - very helpful information from someone who is well-traveled. Appreciate it.
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 02:07 PM

I've stayed at Risorgimento; you are correct that it is more akin to a business hotel than a resort.
Rooms are hard-edged contemporary, as are the public spaces. Service was good. Breakfast very good choices in a buffet. It is quite close to the Patria Palace.

I've seen the public areas of the Patria and thought them more welcoming than RR, or perhaps just more the style I like when visiting a grandhistoric city in Italy.

When I read the odd complaint about surly hotel staff, I often wonder just how surly the reviewers were to warrant such treatment; language probably palys a role, too. I've not read the reports but based on the opnion of an Italian-born acquaintance who leads tours for major US art museums and always stays there, together with the comments by Neo, above, I would probably choose the PP for my next visit, as long as prices were comparable.
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

ekscrunchy, Every time I read reviews whether it's books, movies, hotels, TV series, etc. I always say to myself: "Who is doing the reviewing?" There are so many different types of travelers with various expectations, it's a crap shoot to rely on some of their comments.

That's why, in the end, people who have frequented this board for many years trust the posters, who most often give honest advice about travel.'Nuff said.

Anyway, both of us WANT to like the Patria Palace. It appears to be the type of accommodation we would feel comfortable in for 4-5 nights. Helpful information also about the person you know who leads tours regarding Patria Palace.

Many thanks.
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 04:37 PM

My husband and I were just in Lecce in October for four nights. So while I have no experience with either of your two hotels I can highly recommend the Five Rooms B and B where we stayed.

It had free parking and was easy to find from Brindisi airport and it was an easy 10 to 15 minute walk to the historical centre of town.

Lovely staff, very clean, situated in a large garden with lots of seating outside, it is a large house with the owners living upstairs and the B and B downstairs. Our room was very spacious, lots of closet space and a good bathroom. The common area was large and on two levels with the breakfast area and also a lounge area with sofas, magazines, books, t.v. etc. for relaxing if you chose to.

Beautiful modern white decor but welcoming not cold feeling. The breakfast was a very good selection of fruit, freshly baked cakes etc, cereals, yogurt, breads, cheeses, meats etc. The kitchen ladies will make you a cappuccino if you ask.

I looked at a lot of hotel websites and reviews before choosing this place and we were so happy we did.
You can see my review on TA under "Paula loves to travel".

www.fiverooms.it/en/
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 08:13 PM

Exactly where in Lecce is the Hotel Conundrum located?
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 04:28 AM

It's on Anonymous Lane, just behind the Cathedral of the Undecided.
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Very clever!
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 09:29 AM

To Neo- That's exactly where I thought it is.
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 09:35 AM

Yes. I know a lot of people get it confused with the Hotel Quandary next door. But the Conundrum's the one with the great restaurant -- Enigma.
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Okay, so you're poking fun at me, and I do appreciate that this topic gets pushed to the top!

It doesn't look like anyone else is chipping in, although if I remember correctly, bobthenavigator stayed at the Risorgimento in Lecce on one of his visits.
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 12:06 PM

Well does it have to be either of those two hotels because I chipped in.
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 12:24 PM

I_am_kane, I hope you know the "kidding" is just us wisecrackers and not to be taken personally!
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

yes, raincitygirl, you are included in the responders. It looks like this thread is just going to plunge down to an abyss.

NeoPatrick, we probably should have more fun on this forum!