Leaving tomorrow - Weather in the UK

Apr 26th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Original Poster

Leaving tomorrow - Weather in the UK

I'm leaving for 2 weeks in the UK tomorrow. I have packed and my 24' is filled to the brim. Mostly because I was prepared for colder weather, and have some sweaters/cardigans. But, I've been checking the weather reports and it's seems like it's currently much warmer there than I had originally thought it would be........So, should I limit some of the heavier stuff, and maybe bring some lighter stuff. And possibly add flip-flops?
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

Oh - wanted to add. I'll be in Scotland for 6 days, going into the Highlands. The rest of the time will be in East Anglia/Salisbury/London.

Thanks!
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:20 PM

It is really relative to what temp you have at home. We currently think that it is quite mild here the 5 day forcast varies between 19 and 23 in the middle of the UK. Forget the flip flops, its not that hot.
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:22 PM

bring layers

yesterday i was sitting in my garden reading outside. This morning I woke up to a thunder storm.

It is quite warm here but temperatures can vary by 5 degrees each day - and you notice that change.
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:29 PM

You certainly need a cardigan: there's actually been quite a chill in the early morning and out of the sun over the past couple of days.

But two weeks here at the end of April? Anything can happen, whatever the forecasts might say, and I wouldn't leave home for a fortnight without a light anorak. Wouldn't waste space on flipflops, though
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:30 PM

It may be forecast 19-23C for the next few days but that's peak temperature. So you'll need something warmer for the early morning & evenings unless you intend to spend 2 weeks in London
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:33 PM

6 days in the Highlands - there's a chance of a late frost at this time of the year, and average temps are several degrees cooler than London

I would be surprised also if you didn't get a fair amount of rain while you are here
Apr 26th, 2007, 10:34 PM

It's fine but not THAT warm up here. Layer.
Apr 26th, 2007, 11:18 PM

IT's an awkward time of year. In the last week (I'm in the south east near London) we've had hot days where -yes - I have been wearing my flipflops and as little clothing as possible. Then yesterday it rained and was quite windy with nice warm interludes. So come prepared for anything really. Even when it has been wet it hasn't got that cold. The evenings and nights have been pretty warm here too - we've had our bedroom windows open and the fan on for the last couple of weeks all night.
But Scotland? Probably a bit cooler/damper.
Apr 27th, 2007, 12:25 AM
clz

I'd still bring sweaters to wear over tshirts. I'd say there's more of a chance of it being on the cool side than warm. It's been a really nice spring but on every warm and sunny day, people comment on how unusual it is!
Apr 27th, 2007, 12:38 AM

It has to be layers - looking at the Met office weather for today shows temperatures up to 24C in London but only 13 to 15 in Scotland. the last few weeks have been unseasonaly warm but that doesn't mean anything. The weather can change very quickly. I'd need sandals for 24C.
Apr 27th, 2007, 02:18 AM

Put it this way, yesterday I went to a conference where a lot of the seminars were outside in a (very nice heated) marquee.

At times it got very hot in there and I had to take my jacket off and just sat there in my blouse and skirt. At other times it got colder and I not only put my jacket back on but my gloves and scarf came out too. All within about half an hour.
Apr 27th, 2007, 02:43 AM

Just remember: Bright in the south, dull in the north. Actually that's the people not the weather.

As people have said be prepared for rain - a light mac would be a good idea, and it does get chilly at night and first thing.

We were promised around 25 today so I came to work in just a polo shirt. It's chuffin' brass monekeys out there so I've just bought a jacket (thank god for Primark).

On the subject of Primark - they really are laughably cheap so if you find you've missed anything then getting a replacement from there won't cost you much.
Apr 27th, 2007, 03:12 AM

Bright here at present, but several degrees colder along the North Sea coast - today's forecast was up to 19 inland, c.13 near the coast. Bring one of everything !
Apr 27th, 2007, 05:55 AM

as you can see from all of the posts above - you don't pack for warm/hot weather in the UK, and you don't pack for cool/cold/wet weather in the UK -- you have to plan for ALL of it (and on the same days sometimes)

I would NOT take anything heavy at all - I would take things that layer - plus a windbreaker/jacket/raincoat-type outer layer.

A tee under a blouse under a light cardigan will be as warm as a heavier sweater - and will be a lot more flexible when the sun does come out.
Apr 27th, 2007, 06:09 AM

Go into the BBC weather site for a five day forecast at http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

It looks as though Inverness will be in the high teens and low 20s.
London looks as though it will be in the low to mid 20s.
I'm from East Anglia and we say that the wind there is lazy. It can't be bothered to go round you so it goes through you.
It's very likely to be a lot cooler than London.
Apr 27th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone! So layers it is. I will still bring along my sweaters and cardigan. I will lose the flip-flops (they would take up to much space). I was also packing 2 scarves, so I'm going to take one of those out.

I see that anything can happen, all in one day. I also have to admit, being from So Cali, that I do get cold easily.

OMG, Soooo Excited!!
Apr 27th, 2007, 06:19 AM

Hope you have a lovely time and the weather is kind to you !
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:26 PM

I'm glad you asked this question, haydeedoll, because I've been trying to figure out if I should bring a pair of walking sandals. I'm still not sure, actually...

Lee Ann
Apr 27th, 2007, 10:32 PM

If you're planning to do serious walking, bring proper walking boots.

It MIGHT get warm and dry enough to walk round in walking sandals. But about half the time I've spent outside, walking, this week it was too chilly (and till mid morning, the dew on the grass too heavy) for sandals and bare feet.

You might just be physically comfortable wearing socks with sandals. But many people have a ridiculous phobia about this.

And don't pay too much attention to press reports. Yesterday afternoon, there was a very pleasant breeze in central London that made it feel in the mid-50's. The newspaper placards all carried the headline "London swelters as temperatures soar"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO