Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Leaving tomorrow for Spain and am getting overwhelmed!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2015, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having a mild meltdown or pre-travel jitters. I've been planning this trip for almost a year and feel like I've got waaaay too much information and yet not enough! Does this feel familiar to anyone? DH is a great traveling companion but he doesn't get involved in the planning, so right now, he's fine, and I'm the anxious one.

DH keeps reminding me that we're going to have a wonderful trip and I know he's right -- but there's that little voice that keeps saying, "You haven't organized it enough! You haven't organized every little place to see, best restaurants to eat in, tapas to try, or itinerary to walk..." I have so much information that it's impossible (and ridiculous) to make a rigid plan -- and I'd be spending more time looking through my notes than actually seeing anything if I do try. And I really do have to trust that it will work out just fine, that I am organized and need to let it go now, but that little bit of anxiety is kicking in today as I begin to pack.

Did I mention the weather? Yes, it looks like we will see high temps by the time we arrive in Seville and Cordoba -- I know this, we will learn to savor the siesta. I just have to get used to eating my evening meal at my normal bedtime!

I'm not really asking for any suggestions or advice here -- just sharing a little of my pre-travel anxiety. I hope my Fodor friends here will either laugh with me -- or at me! Or, perhaps, share their own pre-trip jitters.

I really am excited and think it's going to be fabulous -- lots of wonderful experiences to look forward to. And I'm soooo ready to leave after an extremely stressful period of work.

Thanks for listening!
Paule
Old May 2nd, 2015, 03:58 AM

One of the great things about Spain, esp Andalucía, is how easy-going everything is. One of my favourite activities is just wander among streets and alleys without pre-planning, and make my own discoveries - a small, exquisite church, a glimpse into a flower-filled patio, or tapa or two at a neighbourhood bar full of locals. Of course it's sensible to have a plan to visit your 'must-sees' (remember the long afternoon closure, typically 1-5 pm) and the restaurants you set your hearts on, but by not over-planning, you are more likely to experience the uniqueness of Spain, its life and people.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 04:00 AM

My personal opinion- if you pre organize everything then you set yourself up for disappointment. If you leave some windows open then you can take on what comes your way. So what if you don't eat in a researched restaurant everyday? Maybe there's something else that comes up that's more interesting. I recently travelled to Rome- some things planned, but most not, and was one of our most favorite family vacations.
Have fun- you surely have planned and organized all you need for now!
Happy travels!
Old May 2nd, 2015, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

"One of my favourite activities is just wander among streets and alleys without pre-planning, and make my own discoveries"

Absolutely true, and I agree completely! I'm acknowledging my obsessive streak, but tend to be much more relaxed during the trip itself. We love the wandering and there's much, I know, to experience.

<<if you pre organize everything then you set yourself up for disappointment.>>

I completely agree - it's the downside of all the wonderful information available. There is such a thing as too much sometimes, and I'm definitely at the saturation point.

Thank you for the comments -- it's the balance I need to remember.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 04:20 AM

We leave tomorrow for Italy and could have easily written your exact words. My guess is that both of us will have excellent trips! Safe and happy travels!
Old May 2nd, 2015, 04:28 AM

I think you are definitely overplanning an over thinking.

We get flights, hotels and (usually a car). Then we have a list of places we really want to see with days they are open - and if necessary (rarely) advance tickets for the few places that require them. Otherwise we wake up in the am and decide what we feel like doing that day based on weather (in Spain will it be 100 today or 120?), how late we went to bed the night before and just spur of the moment thinking.

We always leave substantial time for serendipity - to see things not on our lists that we just run across and are interested in. And we always leave time for just sitting in a cafe and watching the world go by.

I would just slow down and relax - perhaps a Xanax.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 04:28 AM

I think you are definitely overplanning an over thinking.

We get flights, hotels and (usually a car). Then we have a list of places we really want to see with days they are open - and if necessary (rarely) advance tickets for the few places that require them. Otherwise we wake up in the am and decide what we feel like doing that day based on weather (in Spain will it be 100 today or 120?), how late we went to bed the night before and just spur of the moment thinking.

We always leave substantial time for serendipity - to see things not on our lists that we just run across and are interested in. And we always leave time for just sitting in a cafe and watching the world go by.

I would just slow down and relax - perhaps a Xanax.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, indyhiker, glad to know I'm not alone!

nytraveler, no Xanax for me, thank you, though I will certainly try to chill out a bit without the additional sedation. With limited vacation time, it's definitely a challenge to contain the planning -- though I do think I've got a good itinerary that will allow us to see and do a lot without overdoing it. I am, admittedly, a planner -- though I will also admit that once we're on the road, so to speak, I do relax. It's this day-before-we-leave anxiety that goes into overdrive.

Thanks for the comments -- I do appreciate them, even if I do feel a bit exposed in acknowledging my obsessive streak.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 04:41 AM

It's very weird, but a few days before a trip I've been planning and looking forward to for some time, I all of a sudden have some random anxiety and profess not wanting to go. It happened before my recent work trip to London, my solo trip to Amsterdam, my family vacation to Hawaii.

The day of travel I wake up as excited as I was before, eagerly awaiting the experience.

So I definitely understand odd pre-trip anxiety. I plan where I am staying and activities that sell out, but leave lots of time free to explore.

You'll have an awesome trip!!!
Old May 2nd, 2015, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks, inspired! That's exactly what happens to me -- the random anxiety hits and I have so many mixed feelings about the trip. By tomorrow, this will pass -- and on Monday, we'll be there!

Nice to know I'm not alone - need a 12-step Trip Planner Anonymous meeting!
Old May 2nd, 2015, 07:13 AM

You'll have a great trip, I am sure. Just the fact that you're going to Spain is enough to guarantee that.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 07:53 AM

I remember travel before travel forums and Internet -
there was an element of surprise and discovery.
Best to forget about " notes" on where to have breakfast or what to do
every hour of the day.
Spain is fabulous.......just let it happen!
Old May 2nd, 2015, 07:57 AM

I never have the the worries about planning, but do get anxious about leaving pets and family. One of them always seems to be sick just before we are leaving.

One thing for sure, the best things always seem to happen when plans are loose or simply go wrong.

In Seville, we got lost, a local person took on being our personal guide and we saw way more than we would have on our own.

There was a train strike in England and we were stranded for a day in a small village we had no plans to visit, so went walking and were invited by a lovely gentleman to have tea in the garden of his gorgeous old home.

In Pordenone, Italy, the restaurant we chose was closed. The one we chose out of the blue was fabulous.

These things happen all the time. If you miss one thing you have planned, there will be another, perhaps even better thing to do or see.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Completely agree with all of you! Serendipity is what happens when you're not over planning! I do my very best to organize things well and then let it happen as we travel.

Sassafrass - love all your examples, especially the one in England during the train strike. So true, this could never be planned, but these moments are what make the trip.

I do know I have countless moments like the above, and it may not seem like it, but I allow it to happen!

danon, I agree -- the internet has allowed for so much more information that the elements of surprise are harder to come by. But it's also increased connection, and I've met many wonderful people because of it. And of course, "met" you all on line, which has added to the pleasure in many ways.

It will be great, I've no doubt. And thanks for the many reminders!
Old May 2nd, 2015, 09:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Have a fabulous trip! It will be great no matter what happens.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 11:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Wishing you a serendipitous trip.

For what it's worth, travels where my wife or I had pre-trip jitters turned out to be our most memorable, always in a good way.

In October we will be visiting some of the same places that you are going, so I'll looking forward to a report. Have fun!
Old May 2nd, 2015, 12:02 PM

progol, we leave tomorrow as well. I keep wondering what I forgot....once we arrive it won't matter. It is just the day or two before that my OCD kicks in. Once we leave the house it is no longer an issue.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Hi, yestravel! I've been thinking of you and I know that you are in the midst of a great trip! Looking forward to catching up when we are back!

Nelson, thanks for the good wishes!

Judy, have a great trip, too. In less than 24 hours, we'll be on our way and I really will begin to relax!
Old May 2nd, 2015, 02:17 PM

I'm also a planning addict, but I try to make the planning a base for alternatives. At best, it could set up a framework that let you play it by the ear. And Spain is of course at its finest when the unexpected sets in. Have a great time!
Old May 2nd, 2015, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks, kimhe! I'm looking forward to it! The pre-trip jitters are settling down and soon enough we'll be on our way.

And your many many recommendations have been much appreciated. I'm excited to say I have tickets for a show at Casa de La Memoria with Pastora Galvan!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -