Leaving Tomorrow for Rome! Power Converter/Adaptor Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last minute question which may seem obvious but I'm asking anyways so I don't fry any of my gear. All of the stuff I need to charge/use is dual voltage so I know if I was plugging it straight into the wall, all I'd need is an adapter.

But I'm bringing a power strip so I can plug a bunch of stuff in at once. The power strip is not dual voltage.

So just double checking with experts who have helped me plan everything else. I need to plug the power strip into the converter which will change it to 220, then everything I plug into that will automatically adjust, right?

Thanks again for everyone's help on Fodor's. I can't tell how many hours I've spent reading hundreds of threads. I now feel like a seasoned European traveler, though I've only been to 6 countries and the last trip was over 10 years ago!
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 07:05 PM
J62

A power strip is basically just an extension cord. I would not plug the power strip into a converter. I would just use the adaptor.

Now, if history is any indication, a certain someone is likely to chime in and tell you that the power strip is not safe, it does not have a CE mark, the insulation is inadequate for 220V, a fire is likely to ignite, and your insurance will be null and void, and you'll be hauled off to debtors prison.

Ideally you should use a power strip you purchase in Europe. I told you what I would do.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 09:13 PM

If it is not dual voltage, I wouldn't risk it. But I also wouldn't risk using a power strip with a converter either. My experience with converters before I had a dual voltage hairdryer was poor. It would work for the first week or so but then would burn out(AND the converter made it run at maybe 1/4 the power so it took 4 times as long to dry my hair!) It took me 3 times of going through this ordeal before I finally bought a European hairdryer. So my advice is better safe than sorry and just take turns charging or using your electronic devices or buy a power strip locally. Just my opinion. If you do use it, let me know if it works!
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 03:52 AM

Hi
We just returned from Normandy and my wife took her hairdryer. every hotel had its own dryer. We have found this for the past couple of years that it's not been necessary to take one.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 03:54 AM

Hi
Sorry, I forgot to add that most of the hotels had converters built into the hairdryers for electric razors so all you need was the correct plug. We took our converter and plugs also, but did not use it.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 12:22 PM

Yes, hotels have hairdryers typically, but I stay in apartments and some apartments have them, some don't. plus I am particular about my hairdryers