Search

Leaving Soon S.O.S ...

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2017, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaving Soon S.O.S ...

Dear all ,

We'll leaving for our first Ireland trip. Below is our itinerary. Kindly advise on our plans. Thank you in advance.

Day 1 (28.5 .17, Sun) Arrive at the airport about 9 am. Take the airport bus /taxi to the city. Drop the luggage. Proceed to Take DART to Howth for Farmer Market Howth Castle and Howth Summit. Overnight at Dublin.

Day 2 (29.5.17, Mon) Visit Trinity College ,Chester Beatty Library, Wander down Grafton

Street, laze around at St. Stephen’s Green. Lunch at the Grafton street. Walk around Temple Bar. Enjoy Georgian Gems surrounding landscaped Merrion Square. Visit Moore St Market and Phoenix Park. Stay in Dublin

Day 3 (30.5.17, Tues) Pick up the rental car in the airport and proceed to Schull. Explore the village. Overnight at Schull.

Day 4 (31.5.17, Wed) Proceed to Mizen Head. Visit Balleycoven Beach, Roaring Water Bay, Overnigh at Schull.

Day 5 (1.6.17, Thurs) Heading to Bantry, Drive to Priest Leap. Walk around at Bantry Bay. Visit Durrus Cheese Farm. Visit Glengariff Wood Nature Reserve and Kenmare Heritage Centre. Overnight at Kenmare.

Day 6 (2.6.17, Fri) Begins RING OF KERRY drive. Stop by at SNEEM. Walk along the

Derrynane Beach.Stop at Waterville for photos. Proceed to Portmagee .Visit Skelligs Chocolate Factorry at St. Finian’s Bay. Leave for Caherciveen (Petit Delice)for lunch. If have time to kill, visit BALLYCARBERY Castle. Drive on to KILLARNE . Stop at TORC WATERFALL for photos. Admire views from MOLL’S GAP and LADIES’ VIEW. Overnight at Kenmare.

Day 7 (3.6.17 Sat) Check out and drive to Muckross Garden. Proceed to Gap of Dunloe.

Exploring Gap of Dunloe/Hire a bike in Killarney and cycle to Ross Castle. Picnic at the National Park.Proceed to Killorgolin. Stop at KRD fisheries for smoked wild salmon. Visit Jack’s

Bakery for breads and sandwiches. Stop at Annascaul Lake. Proceed to Dingle.Stroll at Inch Beach if there is time to kill. Overnight at Dingle.

Day 8 (4.6.17, Sun) Drive to the Dingle Tourist Information Centre to get brochures. Proceed to Dunquin for ferry to Blasket Island .Hiking at the Blasket Island. Ferry back to Dunquin.Overnight at Dingle.

Day 9 (5.6.17, Mon) Walk along Coumeenoole Beach. Proceed to Slea Head and picnic

there. Visit Glanteenassing Forest Recreation Area. Drive up to the higher lakes and walk around the lakes. Proceed to Castlegregory. Dinner at Spillarne’s . Overnight at Dingle.

Day 10 (6.6.17, Tues) Check out . Drive to Connor Pass if weather permits. Quick stop at Chez Christopher for hand-made burger. Proceed to Loop Head light house. Stop for photos at “Scenic Loop “view. Picnic at the Loop Head Light House. Proceed to Dromore Wood. Explore Domore Wood. Wander along the river. Visit nearby castle, forts and Kilakee church. Proceed to Rowan Tree Hostel for checking in. Dinner at John O’Dea Pub . Overnight at Ennis.

Day 11 (7.6.17, Wed) Pop in Food Heaven for sandwiches on renowned brown bread. Leave for the the Burren. Join the Knockaunr Turlough guided walk (1.3 km 30 mins). Proceed to Mc Gann’s Pub in Doolin for lunch. Explore the town. Head to Cliff of Moher. Walkaround the Cliff. Proceed to Ennis Friary. Walk around the square and see the monuments sculpture. Overnight at Ennis.

Day 12 (8.6.17, Thurs) Walk to Zest for prepared food for lunch. Try the coffee. Check out and leave for Kinvara. Photos at the town. Try the fresh battered cod . Proceed to Carraroe . Check in at the cottage. Visit Roundstone .Overnight at Carraroe.

Day 13 (9.6.17, Fri) Leave for Connemara N.P. Drive along Sky Road. Stop at Connemara Hamper, Market Street, Clifden for chicken and leek pie. Go for Diamond Hill loop Walk ( 2-3 hrs) . Explore the National Park.Overnight at Carraroe.

Day 14 (10.17, Sat) Proceed to Dublin airport. Take the 5 pm flight.

P/S We will love to watch the Irish cultural dance, please suggest to us where is the best place to watch it.
Old May 17th, 2017, 11:10 AM

This is your first trip. How are you driving Irish laneways? some of this I recognise in respect of locations the guide books don't cover, some places I don't cover because of the off track aspect.

Non of your plan is impossible, some might be less advisable but mainly.. watch your timings and the roads, don't be over ambitious
Old May 17th, 2017, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Hi Tony,
Thank you for you helpful advice. I'm not good in English.Your mentioned that some places you don't cover and might be less advisable. Please clarify this as we want to have a saft and great trip. Do you meant the Priest Leap or Connor Pass? Please tell us the places that even the locals will think twice to go there. Thank you again...Looking forward to hearing from you.
Old May 17th, 2017, 07:35 PM

One very interesting place you have not mentioned is Kilmainham Gaol in Dublin. It would be high on my list of places to see there.
Old May 17th, 2017, 10:18 PM

Since you already have a super-detailed plan, it's a bit hard to change a bit without destroying the itinerary of one full day.

I will try a generic remark:

You seem to like woodlands and "forest recreation areas". I do, too. But covering three or more in one (first) trip to Ireland would be a bit of an overkill for me.
On the other hand, you don't cover any of the "houses and gardens" except for Muckross (or I overlooked it). If you don't have a preference, that's fine. Otherwise you could visit one or some on your route. Like Bantry House, for example. If you prefer one of the lesser visited, this list may be helpful:
http://www.independent.ie/life/trave...-31412612.html

In Dublin:
Phoenix Park would be a bit too much for me on day 2. And in general more a place to visit on trip 2 or 3.
If you needed another sight for day 2, I'd also lean towards Kilmainham Gaol instead.
(Not only if you encounter bad weather,) the National Museum would be another option. In fact, if you only wanted to visit one museum in Ireland, this would be my first choice. It's not that huge, but very interesting. Even a quick one hour visit is worth it, IMO.

Drive Dublin - Schull:
Most of the drive is on motorway, so you will proceed quite quickly. You will drive by Cashel (with the Rock of Cashel) and Cahir (Castle and Swiss Cottage). Either one should be easy to visit. If you want to avoid potential lines, Cahir gets much less tourism than Cashel.

Drive Dingle - Ennis:
After having already seen so much of the fantastic coastline between Mizen Head and Dingle, the detour to Loop Head would be a bit of an overkill for me.
If you wanted to add something new on this leg, you'd have Foynes, Adare and Bunratty (I never thought, I'd ever have to suggest to add Bunratty to anyone's itinerary). Not necessarily all of them, just choices.

Happy travels!
Old May 18th, 2017, 12:57 AM

The Priests Leap is about the last place I would advise a new driver. Depends I suppose where you are from. Your English is fine. Getting to the Cross involves a long single track road with hardly any passing points and the last thing you want is to drop a rental car off the lane. A couple of other points are single track as well. The Connor pass has a 1/2 mile section that Terrifies folk who think they have a 2 mtr wide car that won't go through a 3 mtr space.

I'm not sure which Guide book, Blog, or other information source you are using but some less than regular locations (and eateries) have found their way into your plans. You have taken a lot of time putting that together so go for it.
Old May 18th, 2017, 01:04 AM

The OP had so much already, and seemed more focused on the countryside, that I did not mention the National Gallery, but Cowboy is quite right. It is a surprising and wonderful museum with many exceptional pieces. Dublin also has a small photo museum that has photo exhibits of the history of Ireland. We found it intriguing and interesting.
Old May 18th, 2017, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Sassafrass, Tony and Cowboy for the constructive suggestions. As I'm from tropical country, Malaysia. I love the beautiful European forests. I also love the beautiful countryside there. I do appreciate you , Cowboy for pointing out that my plan is too focused on these two and neglect other places.Thank you so much to you all.