Search

Leaving July 4th - Packing Issues!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaving July 4th - Packing Issues!

Good Afternoon All!

I will be spending 12 days in Northern Spain this year (with the exception of Madrid for a day or so). I normally do not have a problem figuring out what to pack for a two week holiday. However, this year I will be staying in Pamplona for three days with friends who insist that I must experience the "Running of the Bulls" festival. During this crazy party I am told that everyone wears white, but to expect to be pelted with champagne, Sangria, and some kind of mixture of god knows what? Okay, I will be filthy .... I can deal with this. But I don't want to overpack, so what in the world do I bring? Oh, I also found out that I will be attending some rather nice parties with my friend and his friends from Spain which is only making me more crazy about "what to pack!" because these people are quite fashionable and I don't want to look like I've just fallen off of the turnip truck. I need some of you packing experts to help me out here PLEASE!

I will also be visiting Madrid, San Sebastian, Bilbao and maybe Biarritz. Again, I do not want to over pack, but I am just not sure what to bring?

Any help from the packing pros out there would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:35 PM

Hello! This sounds like an awesome trip and packing is always a challenge, so you might want to ask for a little clarification. When you say "attending some parties," what does that mean? If my friends and I "nos vamos de fiesta" (go out), we usually wear skirts or nice pants, cute tops and heels. If we go to "una fiesta" (a party), then it depends on the function. If it is a rave-style warehouse thing, we wear sneakers, jeans and tops, but if it is a proper party with an open bar and DJ (rare events in my experience), we go full out cocktail dresses or even gowns. I think that you will probably just need a couple of nice skirts and tops, and a pair of heeels that you can wear for a long time and not hurt a lot.

It is really nice when your night wear can double for day wear, which is the case for a lot of my things (moreso in winter than summer, unfortunately).

I would think you need 3 pairs of shoes (1 specific for going out), 4 regular tops and 2 nice tips, 3 reg. bottoms and 2 nice ones. Other than that, take a few white tops you are willing to lose forever to the party. Also, there is a phenomenon that my friends and I call "fiesta feet" (AKA party pies). If you wear sandals to a party, your feet will come back black with grossness (the more fun, the darker you get), so beware.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:41 PM

I'm never amazed at clothing questions from newbies.Who picks out your clothes now? I think you should let common sense prevail.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
mikeyb- first off who you calling "newbie" if you've only been here a month. maybe you're just jealous you're not going to Spain?

overthe top- I would aim for mix and match pieces that are lightweight enough to wash in the sink or sturdy enough to send out for laundry service. Not knowing your age or style, possibly something like the Chico's travel separates might work?
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 01:16 PM

SUZIE,

I've been to Europe over 20 times including EVERY country except Russia.
We'll be in Italy and Switzerland for 6 weeks Sept/Oct..
Suzie, Have you ever heard of different screen names?
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 01:40 PM

I did Pamplona in '92 while in college. It was the only time while in Spain that I was truly frightened and and filthy. The men acted like they were insane, not just drunk. We were harassed nonstop,liquid thrown on us and had such as hard time getting back to our hotel in time for "curfew" that we were kicked out and had to sleep on the sidewalk---only bad experience in Europe EVER! Take care of yourself, and the clothing. Maybe you could just wear jeans, a white t-shirt and a red scarf, which is what they wear with the exception of the jeans (white pants).
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 01:42 PM

Mike, ever heard of different screen names? Suze and Suzie are 2 different posters.

OverTheTop, you need white to be filthy? Not to worry! Don't pack anything from home. Just get a white sheet at the hotel, wrap around like a ghoust, and see if they dare to pelt you When it's all over, return the sheet.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 01:56 PM

Hi FA,

Just trying to add a little humor with S's name.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 02:13 PM

mikeyb- I thought I recognized the nasty tone of voice. Of course I have heard of multiple personalities... oh I mean screen names. But I have always used the same one myself since Fodor's initiated registration. You consider that a little humor?

If you're such a seasoned traveler, why do you feel the need to pick on someone who is asking perfectly reasonable questions?
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 02:41 PM

Hi overthetop,

I don't know if you live near Express, but I was just in today and they have a lot of cute white tops on sale right now for about $20 - $30. A lot of them show a lot of skin, but they did have some with sleeves (think peasant-style) if you prefer more coverage.

Have a great trip!

P.S. A strapless dress that hits just below the knee in a trendy print (I'm thinking black and white) could be a good idea. You could wear a cropped jacket or wrap for a dressier party and just wear the dress to something more casual. Dress up/down with jewelry, make-up, shoes.

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 02:53 PM

Do you feel comfortable asking your friend what kind of dress may be appropriate? What I mean by that is not so much the "what do I wear" question, but are these parties more casual affairs or are they dressy. I would certainly thing that some cute dresses would be appropriate as another poster suggested.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:02 PM

Also for whites: seriously, your stuff is going to probably get ruined. As in, won't be worn again unless you are painting a house. So, go as cheap as possible. I always find white workout stuff at Marshall's and Ross, and I have seen cute capris at Target for $12.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for such useful comments. I do appreciate everyone's help.

What I fail to understand is why in the world is there such arrogance among some people who post replies. While I have not posted very often on this board, I am hardly a "newbie". I always pack four weeks worth of belongings in an 18 inch carry on because I travel to Italy to visit friends & family every summer.

I would like to suggest that if someone finds another's post ridiculous, than just leave it at that. There is no need to be mean. Unless that makes you feel better about yourself? And if this is the case, how terribly sad.

Again, thank you all ladies for your great suggestions (and don't worry, I will most definitely be careful)!
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:18 PM

I like laclaire's point about counting the whites for the festival as basically disposable and buying a few inexpensive items.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:18 PM

Definitely seconding laclaire's suggestion for checking out Target. They have some really cute stuff and it is almost always under $20, sometimes under $10... so no need to cry when/if it gets ruined
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:23 PM

Well, I third laclaire's suggestion. She really knows her stuff!
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:30 PM
KT

This may sound nuts, but if I had to bring clothes that I knew were going to have to be disposed of, and there wasn't some crummy old white shirt in the back of my closet, I'd head for Goodwill. I wouldn't even splurge on Target.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:31 PM

KT- you are right except that people show up really reallly white. Like, the clothes start off looking like a bleach commercial. It is part of the charm.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Hi all,

My local thrift store had a few things, but honestly, nothing that I would feel comfortable wearing. I headed over to Ross and found some nice capris for $9.99 and another pair $12.99, and a beautiful gauze skirt (I'm not wearing this in Pamplona) for $10.00, AND a pair of black linen palazzo (I think that's the correct name?) for $7.99. Not too shabby, huh?!

For those who are on a budget like myself, I would suggest heading over to your local Ross store because the prices are unbelievable!

Thanks again.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 05:27 PM

Good for you!
I don't live near a Ross but adore my local TJ Maxx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -