Reload this Page >

Leaving for Paris tomorrow...one last packing question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 07:41 AM
Alicia

My husband and I leave for our Paris vacation tomorrow. We are considering packing snacks and bottled water for our trip. Will we encounter any problems going to France with food and water? I have noticed that customs are pretty strict when people try bringing food, etc. back to the states. Should we worry about this or just pack our goodies and be on our way? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 07:45 AM
Ursula

Alicia: There is plenty of bottled water (Evian, Vittel) and so many goodies in Paris. Just take what you need for the flight and leave the leftovers on the plane!

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 07:55 AM
Celia

It's ok to bring food and drink into most Western European countries. Pack your stuff and go and have fun! <BR> <BR>US customs laws are much stricter than those of Europe.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 08:00 AM
Lee

Alicia, you should be OK with the snacks if they are unopened, but leave the water at home. Snacks and bottled water are easy to find and probably the same prices that you are paying at home. The brands may vary, but that's about it. Carry only what you have to and avoid lugging whenever possible, that's what we do. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip!

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 08:07 AM
s

Alicia, <BR>With all due respect, this reminds me of a line from one of J. Michener's novels: it's like taking a ham sandwich to a banquet. I hope that, whatever you bring, you also sample some local treats. <BR> <BR>s

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 08:19 AM
Sue

Alicia, I always take bottled water on the plane because they tend to be quite slow/stingy with it and it is better not to get dehydrated on the long flight. I also take peanut butter crackers (or more recently Balance bars) for when I wake up starving in the middle of the night (my version of jetlag). And, no, no one at customs ever questions it (you just head for "nothing to declare" and breeze right through).

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 08:42 AM
elvira

Unless you are on a strict regimen for medical reasons, there's no reason to bring food to Paris (other than, as Sue does, to bring a couple of snack bars to tide you over the first night). <BR> <BR>Bring only enough water to last through the flight, and chuck out the bottle when the flight attendants pick up trash just before landing. No reason to lug around a half empty bottle when there are four gazillion brands of bottled water in France (and it's cheaper than in the U.S.). <BR> <BR>Believe me, the French have snacks that are just as good and bad as the American variety; cripes, they even have Cheetohs and Pringles.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 11:59 AM
britabroad

Hi Alicia, As we say in England, it would be like taking coals to Newcastle!Yes to water and snacks for flight. Bon voyage!

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 02:57 PM
Vicki

Yes they do and ever since I got home from Paris I have been craving "Paprika" Pringles and I can't find them anywhere. As far as water you can pick it up literally anywhere in Paris.