Leave for Spain TODAY! help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2004, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I leave for Spain this afternoon. We are going to Barcelona for 6 days and then down to Madrid for 3. I REALLY want to go to Seville on the high-speed train for one of these three days. So, the 3 days in Madrid would look like this:

1. Madrid (city) and El Escorial
2. Toledo and extra time in city
3. Seville

Do you think it is too aggressive to try to fit Seville in? Do you have a different recommendation on how to use this day in Madrid? I just don't know when I will have a chance to get back to Spain, so I wanted to fit as much in as I could. I like museums, but my family does them very very FAST so the Prado shouldn't take us too long. I just want to get the whole experience, and not spend too long with each thing.

THANK YOU!! I AM SO EXCITED
Old May 27th, 2004, 05:46 AM

Hi annemimi,

The AVE is amazing. Go to Sevilla early and return late. The scenery is fabulous!!! I have not finished my trip report yet, but you might be able to glean a lot from it if you print it out and take it with you. (It is long, and the descriptions of the places we went to should help your family decide if you would enjoy the place and set your priorities accordingly.) Unfortunately I have not finished the writing on Seville or done any writing on Madrid at all. We did spend 7 full days in Barcelona, and all of that is ready and waiting for you to peruse. http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34483366.

I gave you the link to Maribel's site on another post. You can also glean alot from her Madrid and Sevilla files. http://www.maribelsguides.com

Adios y vaya con Dios,
Sharon
Old May 27th, 2004, 05:54 AM
Singletail

Please don't let any of the usual "I actually don't travel...I proceeeeeeeeed" anal retentives talk you out of your daytrip to Seville because using the above-mentioned strategy of taking the first AVE down in the morning and the latest one you can stand back at night this CAN be done...and it is better to do this than not go at all. You can see the major sites and yes you can do them "justice" too.
Have a great trip.

Old May 27th, 2004, 06:22 AM

Sites are relatively close together. From the train station to the Cathedral is a 20 minute or so taxi ride. Plan to be at the train station 30 minutes before the AVE departs. There are also taxi stands at the Cathedral, or you can hail one back to the train station when it's time to leave. (Follow what they tell you for lead time when you buy your tickets, things might have changed after 3-11.) Buy a map, or pick up a Seville guide & map at the tourist info office. The sights are so close together. I think you will find this to be a very satisfying and memorable daytrip.
Old May 27th, 2004, 07:26 AM

There's an all-preferente Talgo that departs Barcelona around 22:30 and arrives Sevilla 08:20. Compartments are for 2-people (upper & lower) and it's very quiet & comfortable. There's also a pretty well-stocked 'deli' in Barcelona Sants RR station (I was glad I bought sandwiches & drinks there - the Cafe car was 7-carriages away).

You could leave your luggage at Consignments, do a 'quickie' tour of Sevilla and catch AVE back to Madrid for supper.

You might consider skipping Escorial to allow yourselves more time in Madrid.