Leather shops in Florence

Sep 4th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Leather shops in Florence

Does anyone have any recommendations for leather shops in Florence? I am interested in purchasing a lady's wallet.
Sep 4th, 2005, 10:43 AM

your best bet for quality would be the otrano...the other side of the arno from the main attractions. fine leather shops are abundant on the two streets closest to the river.

you won't find many bargains (other than what you would pay similarly in the US), but you won't get burned by inferior merchandise elsewhere, either.
Sep 4th, 2005, 11:02 AM
ira

Hi K,

Check this from SlowTrav:

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/florence/ck_shopping.htm

and

http://www.outlet-firenze.com/leathe...l_florence.htm

If I had had an extra 3000E, I would have bought my wife an opera cape there.

Sep 4th, 2005, 11:10 AM

Firenze Leather Factory is a nice boutique. Address:

Via dei Cimatori 24-26 rosso
ph: 055/213097

Near Piazza Signoria. I think I heard about a second location on Via dei Neri. Their prices aren't set in stone either. Their jackets are Italian leather made in Italy. Two cousins run the place and they're very nice too. I sent my sister and some friends from San Diego there and they too loved their jackets.
Sep 4th, 2005, 11:17 AM

I'm sorry but the tour companies take visitors to the obligatory 'leather factories' where the prices are not that good. At least that's what we experienced.
Sep 4th, 2005, 12:07 PM

Francophile,

You don't understand. It is not a leather "factory". It's a boutique called "Firenze Leather Factory". I asked him why he called his store this name. He said they liked the name because they had their jackets made in Florence, as opposed to buying jackets from manufacturers and selling them.

As far as the tour groups are concerned, he told me that he WISHES that he could get tour groups to come to his store. I guess businesses have to pay a lot of dough in commission to get the tour groups to be dropped off in their shops. Something they aren't willing to do.

I met them in 1996. I've been back to Florence three more times and stopped in to say hi. We end up going for some coffee. That's how I know so much about them. Their names are Gianni and Tomas.
Sep 4th, 2005, 02:11 PM

John F. at Lungarno Coraini 2/A located along the river--excellent quality, very friendly and helpful.
Sep 4th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Many many thanks to all who have responded. I've made notes of all your suggestions. Please keep them coming.
Sep 4th, 2005, 03:58 PM

Ira, a leather opera cape in Georgia? The mind boggles....
Sep 5th, 2005, 05:13 AM
ira

Hi Betsy,

>..a leather opera cape in Georgia? The mind boggles....<

It was buttery soft, light as Ultrasuede, absolutely gorgeous.

We do get chilly weather down here.

I think about 5 years ago I was able to wear my wool Inverness cape (with Deerstalker hat) one night.

Sep 5th, 2005, 05:52 AM
rfb

I second the John F reference. I wandered in there by chance. They have excellent quality merchandise, very reasonably priced. I was a little reluctant because they have a big sign that says 'as recommended in Frommers' or some such guide; and I distrust this sort of advertising. I ended up purchasing a leather jacket which was, for all practical purposes, identical to one in the Ferragamo shop down the street for something less than 20% of Ferragamo's price. Of course it doesn't have the lable but the savings was impressive.

They did not charge VAT but made up a separate credit card slip and promised not to run it through if they received the VAT papers within 90 days. I was a little uneasy about this as well but I had the papers stamped at the airport and mailed to them and there were no problems.

There is an English lady who works there who is delightful. All things considered shopping there was a great experience.

Sep 5th, 2005, 06:14 AM

I cant't remeber the plaza or the name, but I know it is is the guidebooks. The leather works were originally made only by the clergy and they now have apprentices, actually learning and making everything from wallets and key chains to leather jackets. The quality is suburb, they fill out all the paperwork for your VAT refund if you qualify. I believe it is Santa Crocce but I won't swear by it. Remember if you are buying a wallet for US dollars to make sure it wasn't made for Euros. Happy Travels