Reload this Page >

Leather Jacket for little kid?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 05:56 AM
tuscany

I'll be staying near Florence for two weeks. I'm wanting to buy a small leather jacket for a 4-5 year old. Have had bad experience at the Florence outdoor markets with leather purchases that smelled really bad. Any suggestions for "reasonably" priced place and if anyone has seen leather jackets there this small?

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 07:24 AM
Diane

First we checked out the stalls, then visited several shops and my husband bought a very nice nubuck jacket (which we hadn't seen in the outdoor markets). He bargained and got it for about $210US (but by the time the credit card statement came, the exchange rate improved and it came in at just under $200) We saw childrens' garments in a couple of these stores, so you probably won't have to look too hard. We did keep unpacking and hanging the jacket throughout the rest of our trip. It smells great.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 03:57 PM
Andy

Sizes in Europe are different than US sizes--bring lightweight jacket that fits child now and compare armpit to armpit and top to bottom of leather jacket you find--they have GORGEOUS kids stuff all over Italy--in fact European kids are so trendy looking that you want to stop and take pix of them.....A really good leather store is across from Pitti Palace and is called Anna-they also do custom sizes-not a kids store but they could reccommend one if you don find one---good luck

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 04:58 PM
Bob

Try the Leather School that is located in the Santa Croce church in Florence. Some people are not aware that this exists. You enter the Santa Croce church (Michaelango is buried here so worth a vist anyway) and go to the back right corner of the church. There you will see signs to the Leather School. They are not "cheap", but we felt they had good legitimate value. They may or may not have kids jackets, but they do have jackets, purses, belts, etc.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 08:12 PM
Oaktown Traveler

Tuscany: <BR> <BR>I had a flash back...a bad one. My DH and I went to Italy when our DS(son) was 4-5 years old. I am the clothes horse so getting DS a leather jacket from Italy was a "no brainer". <BR> <BR>The short story: Our DS attended one of the best private schools ( He was in Jr. 1st grade)around. <BR> <BR>His lovely and expensive leather jacket came up missing within the first week that he wore it. We NEVER got it back! <BR> <BR>Proceed if you do not care if this purchase comes up missing. I wish someone would have cautioned me, besides my DH that is. (grin) <BR> <BR>My Best <BR>Oaktown

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 06:31 AM
Can't Help Myself

Sorry, but I think the whole idea of buying an expensive leather jacket for a child is for total dunderheads. Assuming one can afford it, and assuming one wouldn't care if the child lost it, I still find this practice objectionable. <BR> <BR>How is a child to learn the value of money if the most expensive things are freely available? What next? A mink coat? A Mercedes for high school graduation? A private plane for college graduation? <BR> <BR>Being able to afford something shouldn't be the only justification needed to buy something like this for a child. Wouldn't it be great to put your child in a humble sweater and donate the difference to a local soup kitchen or something?

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 06:50 AM
Diane

You might want to also check out the Coin department store -- and to the above poster, usually where there is one 4-5 year old in a family there will be others coming along. Really cool stuff like a neat leather jacket (which granted, won't fit the original owner for long) are likely to be passed down to little brothers, sisters, cousins or neighbors. Both my kids were lucky to "inherit" a fabulous red ski-suit from a dear neighbor who was originally from Sweden. Her kids had long out-grown it. Last I knew (I passed it on as well) at least six youngsters wore that little red snowsuit...and enjoyed knowing it was from Sweden and had been Kevin and Ingrid's, and Holly and Alec's, and Dan's and Jesse's, and....

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 08:00 AM
dunderhead

Just cancelled my trip to Disney with kids...donated $$ to food bank...can afford it but obviously all my hard earned $$ should go where "Can't Help Myself" thinks it should...feeling much better.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 08:10 AM
dan woodlief

Just when you thought there was a post about which nobody could complain. Go figure. What about the little Ferraris and Porsches you can purchase for kids? Actually, Tuscany, as I am headed to Italy this year, I would buy one for my little girl if I had the money.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 10:20 PM
Oaktown Traveler

DUNDERHEADS??????????????? <BR>(what is that?) <BR> <BR>Alright...give me BACK my kids jacket! <BR> <BR>I knew it was you. You are the same one who had a "cow" because the kids got Ski Week off...yellin' somethin' about SOME kids never being able to leave their homes to EVEN attend school let alone SKI...and your babbling about only the kids of privilege get to ski for a week. Well with all your fussin' and cryin' the kids wound up "doing" that darn Habitat For Humanity stuff for the senior citizens...mah poor chile ain't seen a ski since then...(sniff, sniff) <BR> <BR>Thank you "Can't Help Myself" Thank you! Again, you have shed light on "our" shallow and foolish ways. <BR> <BR>BTW: A leather coat does not fall within "the most expensive things" category. You missed your chance to SLAM "us" for having the little money suckers in (drumroll please) THOSE EXPENSIVE and ELITIST PRIVATE SCHOOLS! <BR> <BR>You know in California, the average tuition/fees for Kindergarten at a private school(not parochial) is <BR>$ 15,000.00? That covers 9 months...NOW WHAT SAY YEE? <BR> <BR>The Mink, The Mercedes, The Plane...all DONE! These are SOOOO yesterday for the California Kid... <BR> <BR>What the heck is a "humble sweater"???? <BR>Is this one of those "pack light/travel light" Fodor things? Yall don't give that kinda stuff a rest! <BR> <BR>Finally and seriously :"Can't Help Myself" our annual donations/contributions to charity and to those in need (two different things in CA.) exceeds $20,000. <BR>Our annual family volunteer hours were 300. What per chance were yours? <BR>Please, do not assume that you know what a family donates or values by ONE post on a Fodors Travel Thread. <BR> <BR>Happy Donating & Back Seat Parenting <BR> <BR>Oaktown Traveler <BR>

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 04:48 AM
tuscany

Thanks Oaktown...well put. I am a volunteer and contributor to our local Humane Society and I actually get flak from some people who think I should give my money to "people" things...I just can't understand how some folks can think they can direct the spending of the money I earned!

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 10:42 AM
Oaktown Traveler

Tuscany: <BR> <BR>Hey, your welcome. I don't mean to be a "me too" but we also belong to the Humane Society AND the number of scathing criticisms that we get from folks who have NO idea about our other charitable and volunteer commitments is amazing. <BR> <BR>That criticism makes me give more than our average because of the ignorance and backlash that donors like us get. Our "mans best friend" was murdered so to be attacked is especially hurtfull for us. <BR> <BR>Tuscany: Enjoy Florence and tell "my cousins": Channel, Vitton, and Ferragamo (wink) that I said hi! <BR> <BR>Happy Travels and Happy Shopping! <BR> <BR>Oaktown <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 11:23 AM
workin' girl

Tuscany: have you considered a gift that didn't depend on size? There's got to be something great that a 4-5 year old could enjoy more than a jacket that may not fit/look good. <BR>

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 12:46 PM
tuscany

Hey, Workin Girl...bring on those suggestions. I'm embarassed to say that our first grandson is just one month old so we want to get him something really special on our trip. I thought of the leather jacket for when he's older but it may not be the most practical thing. If you have another suggestion I would love to hear it!

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 06:41 AM
Workin' Girl

Tuscany: there's got to be something great for someone that young. If it were me, I'd buy an adorable, unique hat for him -- and a small, nice photo frame for myself. Then get a photo of grandson wearing the hat and put it in the frame for a double-memory for yourself. <BR> <BR>Or how about a Christmas ornament? When he's an adult, he may cherish the gift you brought from Florence when he was a tike. <BR> <BR>Maybe a simple book in Italian for children! If you found a story that you knew in English, you could tell it your way and also help him learn the Italian words. <BR> <BR>A coat you HOPE he'll wear several years from now seems like a gamble. <BR>

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 09:50 AM
Oaktown Traveler

Tuscany: <BR> <BR>Oh dear...go with the leather jacket just put a sensor in it while he/she is wearing it at school. <BR> <BR>The shoes for that age are to-die-for! <BR>Those did not come up missing. <BR>The backpacks are kid-classy too. <BR> <BR>The hat will get lost and all that other stuf...well, call me so that we can talk.(smile) <BR> <BR>Do buy lots of COMIC books. My DS(darling son) is now a teen and the comic books from europe are still quite popular and I bought his years ago when he was 4-5 years old. <BR> <BR>The ornament is...well, a "girl" thing and I am a part-time feminist so...It is also assuming that he/she is christian....It is also a huge burden for a kid to live through accidentially breaking Grandma's ornament...lets talk! <BR> <BR>My Best <BR>Oaktown

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 11:30 AM
tuscany

You know O.T., you're right!! It was my first thought and by gosh, a leather jacket my first grandson will have!!! Thanks for not making me feel like a total idiot!! And my sympathies for the loss of your four legged best friend...

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 12:19 PM
ohoh

My step father bought his first great-grandson a baby-sized (about 2yr)black leather Flight jacket. (He'd been Air Force). It was SO CUTE and his parents were tickled to death. So, go with your heart -- You'll see LOTS of things that you'll want to get that Grand-baby. I have packed away (mothballs and all that stuff)somewhere a gorgeous blue felt jacket from Mexico with darling little appliques and embroidery all over it. My Grandma brought it home for me when I was 3. I wore it. My little sister later wore it. About 30 years later my daughter wore it. It is waiting for the next generation...

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 01:52 PM
Oaktown Traveler

Tuscany: <BR> <BR>Huge air kisses!!!! <BR> <BR>Have a blast and I want to hear every detail! <BR> <BR>Happy Travels <BR>Oaktown