Learning Italian

Jun 21st, 2009, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Learning Italian

OK, we are finally going to break down and purchase some kind of audio learning guide to learn some Italian before we travel. We would like to hear what methods/programs others have used, liked and enjoyed success (i.e,.Berlitz, Rosetta Stone). One of us has had training in French, some Spanish and some self-taught Italian. The other of us is happy to have the one with the aforementioned experience as a travelling partner We have approx 10+ weeks before our departure....and the plane ride! TIA for your help!
Jun 21st, 2009, 05:33 PM

There are two easy audio CD I have used and helped a great deal. Pimsler's and Michael Thomas. Pimsler has 8 cd and builds you 're ability to use helf sentences and express yourself. Michel Thomas has a 2 cd and4 Cd setthat I found great because I learned sentence structure adn how to build a sentence. I as told that the Rosetta Stone was good fro vocabulary but it wasn't the best to use to learn sentences structure and made it more difficult to express you self in Italian.Buona fortuna con i tuoi studi!

PS: Take out as many different audio tapes as possible and listen in the car.
Jun 21st, 2009, 05:39 PM

I'm currently very much enjoying Pimsleur's Italian program. One reason, however, is that I've studied grammar a lot, so when they teach me words, I can visualize what words and phrases I'm learning. Otherwise, an all-audio method like Pimsleur is difficult for me. Also, Pimsleur (and I think Michael Thomas and Rosetta Stone) teach Italian as if you want to learn the language, not just learn some phrases for traveling.

So I would also suggest checking out several different CDs from your local library, both types like Pimsleur AND CDs that teach Italian (phrases) for travelers. I still listen to those CDs, as well.
Jun 21st, 2009, 05:56 PM

I've checked out the Pimsleur series from the public library and found it very helpful.
Jun 21st, 2009, 07:36 PM

You might enjoy beginning with 100 free downloadable five-minutes lesson from iTunes called "My Daily Phrase Italian."
Jun 21st, 2009, 07:58 PM

I second the free itunes "My daily Phrase Italian" and would like to add "learn italian pod.com" also free from itunes. I have used Pimsleur with much success, and listened to these podcasts for reinforcements and nuances. I applaud you for wanting to learn as I have found it very satisfying to be able to speak and understand some Italian when traveling.
Jun 22nd, 2009, 06:07 AM

I cannot praise Rosetta Stone highly enough. I'e tried several less expensive options and none have produced the results I got with it. There ads are true, you can actually learn the language the way you learned English or whatever. It's expensive but you really do get what you pay for.

I've been to Italy many times and had some grasp of the language but was not fluent. I'm still not fluent but was able to engage in several reasonable conversations this last time without getting hopelessly lost.

They'll send you a free sample disc to try it out.
Jul 21st, 2009, 05:05 AM

For the money Pimsleur is unsurpassed if your goal is to be able to understand native accents and be understood when you speak. their method is focused on conversational skills and reading skills. Rosetta is more about building vocabulary not geared towards conversing like Pimsleur. You can try 8 lessons of Pimsleur for free. (getpimsleur.com)

PS: I did only level I of Pimsleur when I went to Italy on my honeymoon and it got me around.